Peter Angelos makes a clubhouse appearance

cmurter

Yeah. You cant help but smile.

I guess its time to let bygones be bygones.

I'm not just sure about that just yet. BUT if he continues to stay out of the operations and let the O's return to the glory days, the days my dad used to take me to games. Then yes. I'll have to let go of my hate.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's pretty funny to always read what you guys assume about PA- 99% of it is wrong. There's a ton I'd love to say, but can't. One thing- he comes to TONS of games. He's also very close with certain members of the team and coaching staff- very close.

Also, one day he will get some credit for hiring Buck and DD. Without saying much more, neither we're popular choices in the warehouse.

The city needs to cut him some slack at this point and just enjoy the ride.

GO BIRDS!

He's also very close with certain members of the team and coaching staff- very close.

You say this part as if it is a good thing. It isn't. It is the main reason the Orioles have been such a mess under his ownership. He has done a great job this year staying away and not undermining the authority of management. I assume this is due to Angelos getting up there in age and not as involved with the club. It needs to stay that way. The last thing this team needs is Ol' Pete getting involved again in the offseason - vetoing trades, forcing some big ticket free agent signing. He needs to let Buck and Dan do their jobs.

I was in there when he made his appearance. I was talking with Steve Johnson when I heard a commotion behind me, I didn't want to be ignorant to Steve so I waited a minute or two before I finally turned around I saw him being introduced to the players one by one. He was all smiles as John Angelos and the rest of his entourage rounded up player after player to meet him as he made his rounds. Apparently Steve Johnson is one of his favorites so our conversation was interrupted as he was asked to go over and meet Mr. Angelos. Most players seem to know who he was after being told but I heard more than a few say that was the first time they had ever seen him. Jim Johnson reached into his locker and gave him an encased ball that apparently was the one he saved in win number 82. Mr. Angelos thanks him and seemed to be genuinely pleased with the gift as he looked it over.

The funniest moment was when he was introduced to Joe Saunders who was in nothing but his compression shorts. Mr. Angelos shook his hands and said something to the effect, "You pitched great in Texas, now go do that in New York." Saunders said he would and after Angelos departed, he had a quizzical look on his face when one of the Orioles officials asked , "You know who that was, right?" Saunders said no, and the Orioles officials told him it was Mr. Angelos, the owner.

BTW, John Angelos seemed much mroe connected to the players as it was obvious that they knew who he was and he knew who they were. No on in the media had ever seen Angelos in the lockerrom and certainly never after the game when the media was in there. Honestly, it was the first time I'd ever been up and close live with Angelos. He shooked a lot of the media members hands and joked with Buster Olney about calling him.

It was pretty surreal.

Good stuff, Tony.

I liked that video, too. It'd be great if we went on a long string of success and partially made up for what's happened in the past.

When he was firing anyone with any talent. Lowenstein, Miller, Davey Johnson. Those intentions sucked. They werent good. It was Hubris!!!

He is also an elitist. He probably had his rich friends dogging him about how low brow Lowenstein was. But for me I loved it. Miller had class but Angelos canned him for having the nerve to express his opinions on how the club was being run. Hubris!

I am glad Angelos has one last hurrah but things have only been getting better when he finally started taking a back seat. Much like what happened to the Yankees in the early 90's. When Steinbrenner was the owner but not allowed to do anything with the team for several years. The Yankees finally got decent.

Only quibble here is having worked with, known and talked to a lot of people that work with and call him friend that he is certainly not an elitist. He was a dirt-poor kid and built himself from nothing and is probably one of the most generous benefactors this city has known. The only thing is he doesn't want the press for his donations.

Did he try to be like George? sure. But I really think that virtually every decision he made he felt, on some level, was the best move for the club.

And can we please get off of the announcer thing I mean come on sure Miller was a fine announcer but seriously, that did not effect the on-the-field product

You say this part as if it is a good thing. It isn't. It is the main reason the Orioles have been such a mess under his ownership. He has done a great job this year staying away and not undermining the authority of management. I assume this is due to Angelos getting up there in age and not as involved with the club. It needs to stay that way. The last thing this team needs is Ol' Pete getting involved again in the offseason - vetoing trades, forcing some big ticket free agent signing. He needs to let Buck and Dan do their jobs.

We're talking in terms of friendly working relationships here with a guy who owns a sports team and happens to love his team and the game of baseball. Not meddling.

Only quibble here is having worked with, known and talked to a lot of people that work with and call him friend that he is certainly not an elitist. He was a dirt-poor kid and built himself from nothing and is probably one of the most generous benefactors this city has known. The only thing is he doesn't want the press for his donations.

Did he try to be like George? sure. But I really think that virtually every decision he made he felt, on some level, was the best move for the club.

And can we please get off of the announcer thing I mean come on sure Miller was a fine announcer but seriously, that did not effect the on-the-field product

How is firing Davey Johnson the best decision for the club? He let Moose walk to NY.

How is firing Davey Johnson the best decision for the club? He let Moose walk to NY.

May I make one request please?

Its common knowledge that many, MANY people do not like Peter Angelos and would like nothing more than to see him in misery for his entire life, but in this one thread....this ONE thread, can we please keep the venom out and let the man have his moment? The Orioles are tied 1-1 in the ALDS with our most hated opponent...how about we 1) be grateful for this season, and 2) turn our hatred at our true enemy, the Yankees. Leave Peter in peace for this ONE GD thread....please?

Okay, off my soap box.

That video is so weird. I don't think I even knew what he sounded like. Like Tony said, surreal.

I think the only time I heard him talk before was at Ripken's 2131 game. Gosh that was so long ago, he had only been owner two years at that point. Anyhow, that video was nice to see. I am not a fan of Angelos as owner but he's our owner and I think is entitled to the joy we've all had this year and I hope they get to give him something from the World Series next.

This is excellent news.

Even if all the things that Angelos naysayers say about PGA are true, his building a deeper connection to the team should be seen as a good thing. As a general rule, most people tend to treat other people better when they have a personal connection with them.

Steps in the right direction :)

Guest rochester

This. I have had the pleasure of conducting business with Peter and his associates a few years back. He is an extremely loyal and generous person. Plus, he gave me advise that I took to heart - he said that he has never had a hangover since he stopped smoking...

Archived