Cubs showing interest in Bedard

theobird

Does anybody else get the feeling that after all this speculation about Bedard going to Seattle or Cinci or LA, that he actually ends up going with BRob in a blockbuster to the Cubs. I do. I get the feeling that at the end of the day, McPhail turns to his old pal Hendry and wings a big deal. We'll see.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They don't have enough. The Reds and Mariners are both desperate enough to blow the Cubs out of the water. I'd guess that we've already received offers from both teams that are better than what the Cubs could possibly offer.

I don't know. What if the cubs came up with Hill, Pie, Gallagher, Marmol, Theriot, Patterson and Veal? Still don't think the Cubs have enough?

I don't know. What if the cubs came up with Hill, Pie, Gallagher, Marmol, Theriot, Patterson and Veal? Still don't think the Cubs have enough?

I'm assuming they're not trading Hill. And they're not. (Nor am I a big fan of his, but that's neither here nor there.)

To match an offer of Bailey, Votto and another prospect, they'd have to deal Hill, Pie, Colvin, and Gallagher, which they won't do.

I really think it's between the Reds and Mariners. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't. There were rumors about Tejada to the Astros weeks before it happened. Same for Haren and the DBacks.

Baseball America:

1. Josh Vitters, 3b

2. Geovany Soto, c/1b

3. Tyler Colvin, of

4. Jose Ceda, rhp

5. Sean Gallagher, rhp

6. Donald Veal, lhp

7. Josh Donaldson, c

8. Jeff Samardzija, rhp

9. Tony Thomas, 2b

10. Kevin Hart, rhp

Sickels:

1 Josh Vitters, 3B, Grade B+ (tough call, see commentary below)

2 Geovany Soto, C, Grade B+ (tough call, see commentary below)

3 Sean Gallagher, RHP, Grade B

4 Eric Patterson, 2B-OF, Grade B (I dropped him from B+ due to defense)

5 Tyler Colvin, OF, Grade B

6 Josh Donaldson, C, Grade B

7 Donald Veal, LHP, Grade B-

8 Jeff Samardzija, RHP, Grade B-

9 Jose Ceda, RHP, Grade B-

10 Tony Thomas, 2B, Grade B-

So you guys are telling me that if the Cubs were to start an offer with the guy that was tops on these lists until he exhausted eligibility (Pie), plus a terrific young fireballer (Marmol), and then added, say, 5 guys from the top ten in each list (make it Colvin, Gallagher, Ceda, Veal, Patterson), and then tossed in a few more young/cheap bigleaguers and recent top-tenners just for good measure (Cedeno and/or Murton, and/or Marshall), you'd turn that down?

Yikes.

So you guys are telling me that if the Cubs were to start an offer with the guy that was tops on these lists until he exhausted eligibility (Pie), plus a terrific young fireballer (Marmol), and then added, say, 5 guys from the top ten in each list (make it Colvin, Gallagher, Ceda, Veal, Patterson), and then tossed in a few more young/cheap bigleaguers and recent top-tenners just for good measure (Cedeno and/or Murton, and/or Marshall), you'd turn that down?

Yikes.

You do realize you're talking about an 8 for 1 swap. I might turn that down, but only because I don't know where we'd put all those players, not because they don't add up to a theoretically good package.

The fact is, the Cubs don't have the Baileys, Vottos, or Jones' or even Clements. Pie is the closest, but he's a step below those guys. The M's and Reds would be sending us 2 guys better than the best guy the Cubs could send us. Adding an absurd number of players, solid as they may be, does not a good trade make.

You do realize you're talking about an 8 for 1 swap. I might turn that down, but only because I don't know where we'd put all those players, not because they don't add up to a theoretically good package.

The fact is, the Cubs don't have the Baileys, Vottos, or Jones' or even Clements. Pie is the closest, but he's a step below those guys. The M's and Reds would be sending us 2 guys better than the best guy the Cubs could send us. Adding an absurd number of players, solid as they may be, does not a good trade make.

It's 8 for 2 (that's for Bedard and Roberts), with 3 of the 8 not needing to go on your 40-Man.

So you'd need to open up 3 roster spots.

I wouldn't call it absurd after what we just saw happen with Haren.

Archived