Camden Yards reached 121 decibels

isestrex

I don't mean to be a stick in the mud, because I know the stadium was really loud. It was loud on Sunday night when I was there, and in the 9th inning on Monday night, those fans had a lot more to cheer about. There's no doubt the Baltimore fans unleashed 15 years of frustration and it came out very loudly. We should be proud of ourselves and I don't want to take anything away from that. But am I the only one who doesn't believe that an outdoor stadium with 48,000 people is REALLY the loudest stadium ever recorded? Louder than any domed stadium or even open-air stadium for a football game? I saw something yesterday that said the highest decibel ever recorded at the SuperDome was something like 109. I'm sorry, I just have a hard time buying that. It just doesn't seem logical that an open-air stadium with 48K could possibly be louder than an indoor one with 60K plus. Am I wrong?

Of course not, just like it is silly to think OPACY was louder then some of the college stadiums that sit 100K.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't mean to be a stick in the mud, because I know the stadium was really loud. It was loud on Sunday night when I was there, and in the 9th inning on Monday night, those fans had a lot more to cheer about. There's no doubt the Baltimore fans unleashed 15 years of frustration and it came out very loudly. We should be proud of ourselves and I don't want to take anything away from that. But am I the only one who doesn't believe that an outdoor stadium with 48,000 people is REALLY the loudest stadium ever recorded? Louder than any domed stadium or even open-air stadium for a football game? I saw something yesterday that said the highest decibel ever recorded at the SuperDome was something like 109. I'm sorry, I just have a hard time buying that. It just doesn't seem logical that an open-air stadium with 48K could possibly be louder than an indoor one with 60K plus. Am I wrong?

I'm glad somebody went there. Trying to measure SPL levels at a sporting event is great for bar conversations about how awesome our fans are, but it's completely unscientific. The calculation you get is highly dependent on the stadium location being measured, the weighting system used (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-weighting), and the sensitivity of the measuring equipment (something tells me TBS didn't spend a lot of time calibrating the $15 SPL meter they picked up at Radio Shack).

Honestly, I could probably scream into the SPL meter and register over 121 decibels. Does that mean I'm louder than 48k fans at an Orioles playoff game?

Again, I don't want to be a wet blanket. The atmosphere looked awesome on TV and the fans' enthusiasm showed. At the same time, I pretty much rolled my eyes then TBS cut to the SPL-meter (as it does when Seahawks/Broncos/whatever fans tell me about having been measured the loudest fans in the NFL).

I'm glad somebody went there. Trying to measure SPL levels at a sporting event is great for bar conversations about how awesome our fans are, but it's completely unscientific. The calculation you get is highly dependent on the stadium location being measured, the weighting system used (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-weighting), and the sensitivity of the measuring equipment (something tells me TBS didn't spend a lot of time calibrating the $15 SPL meter they picked up at Radio Shack).

Honestly, I could probably scream into the SPL meter and register over 121 decibels. Does that mean I'm louder than 48k fans at an Orioles playoff game?

Again, I don't want to be a wet blanket. The atmosphere looked awesome on TV and the fans' enthusiasm showed. At the same time, I pretty much rolled my eyes then TBS cut to the SPL-meter (as it does when Seahawks/Broncos/whatever fans tell me about having been measured the loudest fans in the NFL).

Bringing the SPL reading up to my best friend - a Seahawks fan eventually turned into a big argument. :laughlol: Apparently Fox's broadcast team measured Century Link field at 137db during the 2005 NFC championship game which is just absurd. I've been to one hawks game since I've come out here and yeah... it's incredibly loud. Headache loud.

The whole "a talking guy holding a spl meter in the dugout" thing is very unscientific indeed. Hell, that suit might have been affecting the reading. That said, it should be noted that the meter was hitting 120-123db at a point where the crowd wasn't even reacting to something. I would have liked to have seen a reading of the moment Arod struck out. One thing is for sure - it was LOUD.

gmm1W.jpg?7940

• 1 year later...

Both of those games were pure insanity. The first game was more top heavy because people had waited over two hours and folks were boozed and jacked up, but it faded down the stretch. The second game was much more balanced, and yes, LOUD. I'm not kidding that on the strikeout of AROD I was convinced time stood still. That moment from when he swung and the crowd erupted felt like it was in slow motion. Even when I watch it back on TV it still feels that way.

And just in case you forgot, some gifs to restore your faith in humanity.

http://deadspin.com/5969194/ten-sports-gifs-that-will-restore-your-faith-in-humanity

I love how on the strike to end Game 2 it looks like the camera was shaking on account of the noise. That's how loud it was

Both of those games were pure insanity. The first game was more top heavy because people had waited over two hours and folks were boozed and jacked up, but it faded down the stretch. The second game was much more balanced, and yes, LOUD. I'm not kidding that on the strikeout of AROD I was convinced time stood still. That moment from when he swung and the crowd erupted felt like it was in slow motion. Even when I watch it back on TV it still feels that way.

And just in case you forgot, some gifs to restore your faith in humanity.

http://deadspin.com/5969194/ten-sports-gifs-that-will-restore-your-faith-in-humanity

I love how on the strike to end Game 2 it looks like the camera was shaking on account of the noise. That's how loud it was

Every GIF begins with K.

Ok, I stole that from the deadspin top comments. But it was too good to not steal. I plead the fifth.

Yeah I was at game 1 and I think the rain delay had helped a little with that decible level. People had nothing to do but stand around and drink for like 3 hours after the game was supposed to start. I remember at one point the venders had to go and bring beer over from Ravens stadium because they were running out of aluminum bottled/canned beer.

Best sports memory of my life. Brought the wife and three kids from North Carolina... Started with a Camden Giant, argued with the Earl statue a bit, waved the Buckle Up towel, sang "O'Day, O'Day, oday, odaaaayy" a few times... my five year old son had an amazing time and didn't say he was tired until there were two strikes on Alex Rodriguez. Thought that was pretty hilarious.

• 10 months later...

Watch the replay of Hardy rounding 3rd on the Delmon double...

Had to be close to a record there. The audio on the play can hardly translate the crowd noise.

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=36734965&topic_id=11493214&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

Had to be close to a record there. The audio on the play can hardly translate the crowd noise.

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=36734965&topic_id=11493214&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

KC just shattered the record last week at the Chiefs/Pats game. Something like 140.2db, thats a tall order.

I was thinking the same exact thing. That had to be WAY louder than 121 decibels.

Archived