I consider Jones to be the goat of this game

Frobby

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't see the triple. Very disappointing if Jones went for style points over making sure he got to the ball.

He was gliding back at 3/4 speed and blowing a bubble at the time. Clearly a ball he should have caught.

I can live with JJ and Matusz making hittable pitches but Jones has to make that play.

Funny, it was 2-1 and all Johnson had to do was keep it that way. He threw a meatball to a notorious fastball hitter.

Earned runs happen. Missing your spot on a pitch happens. Not making the play on a routine fly ball is not something that should EVER happen. Not with your center fielder and not in a playoff game.

Until he backs it up next year, I'm still of the opinion that Adam Jones is a decent outfielder and nothing more. A guy who is going to give you .775-.800 OPS and below-average play in CF. I think he had a really great run up til he signed his contract, was the "hero" enough times this year that it overshadowed the numerous misplays and inability to play team baseball while batting. For all the talk about being a team leader, it's fairly obvious by his actions that he's much more concerned about being team hero than team leader. And it cost us tonight. Always hated how the announcers, be it thorne or hunter, would comment favorably on the way Jones "glides" into a fly ball. That is not fundamental baseball. It's show-boat, look-cool baseball.

He was gliding back at 3/4 speed and blowing a bubble at the time. Clearly a ball he should have caught.

I can live with JJ and Matusz making hittable pitches but Jones has to make that play.

100% true. He inexplicably took a step in on a ball that was clearly hit pretty well, even without the wind. But how can you casually glide after getting a bad jump like that? Piss poor, lazy defense. He should be embarrassed for letting his team down like that.

Just to be clear, I'm not down on Jones in general. But he has a tendency to glide after balls and not run flat out, and tonight it burned us when we couldn't afford it.

We got away with some sloppy play on Monday night, but today we tempted fate once too often.

100% true. He inexplicably took a step in on a ball that was clearly hit pretty well, even without the wind. But how can you casually glide after getting a bad jump like that? Piss poor, lazy defense. He should be embarrassed for letting his team down like that.

I am sure he is.

I know we're fans and not the manager, but I prefer Buck's take on this. This team needs and deserves our support. They have mine.

Jones should have made the catch. It was obvious, which makes him a target, but it wasn't the only glaring mistake by this team tonight or in this series. Hardy at 3rd comes immediately to mind. Johnson throwing multiple belt-high fastballs down the middle of the plate comes to mind. Less obvious at an individual level, but terrible at bats come to mind.

This team needs to bear down like we did most of the year. The time for whining about losing can happen later. Greatness is earned. So they need to go earn it.

Archived