Sinkerballers should not be closers

Fired-Up

Curt Schilling just said that postseason is no place for finesse pitchers or sinkerballers. It's about power arms. And to be quite frank it is. See Koufax, Palmer, Gibson, Schilling, Pedro, Beckett (When Good), Lincecum, (When Good), etc, etc.

JJ throws his power-sinker 94-96 MPH. That's a power arm!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Schilling means the traditional rear back and blow it by people. Johnson is a sinkerballer. Not a strikeout guy who gets people out by himself.

You mean a guy like Mo Riviera...oh wait, his cutter is designed to basically do what a sinker does, except instead getting off the sweet spot to the lower half the bat and induce grounders, go side to side and get off the sweet spot, inducing weak hits...

Curt Schilling just said that postseason is no place for finesse pitchers or sinkerballers. It's about power arms. And to be quite frank it is. See Koufax, Palmer, Gibson, Schilling, Pedro, Beckett (When Good), Lincecum, (When Good), etc, etc.

You have to be the worst poster I have ever seen on here. Yes, you could actually make a case that sinkerballers have inconsistencies and issues with peripheral stats (you know the ones you dismiss as garbage and that no one should pay attention to) as compared to power pitchers, but as usual you take what could have been a constructive and logical argument and exaggerate it to a ridiculous level of stupidity and hyperbole.

You mean a guy like Mo Riviera...oh wait, his cutter is designed to basically do what a sinker does, except instead getting off the sweet spot to the lower half the bat and induce grounders, go side to side and get off the sweet spot, inducing weak hits...

Sounds dandy until you realize Rivera has an 8.3 SO/9 in his career. He's not just relying on his infielders to go everything for him. Schilling nailed it. Postseason is all about power arms. And history supports him.

You have to be the worst poster I have ever seen on here. Yes, you could actually make a case that sinkerballers have inconsistencies and issues with peripheral stats (you know the ones you dismiss as garbage and that no one should pay attention to) as compared to power pitchers, but as usual you take what could have been a constructive and logical argument and exaggerate it to a ridiculous level of stupidity and hyperbole.

I like results. And history shows power arms get them in the postseason. Not sinkerballers.

Schilling means the traditional rear back and blow it by people. Johnson is a sinkerballer. Not a strikeout guy who gets people out by himself.

Tell that to Mariano Rivera. All he's done is pitch to a 0.70 ERA in 141 post season innings while barely breaking 91 MPH. Rivera had a career 7.0/9 K ratio in the post season and Jim Johnson has an 8.0K/9 in the Yankees series despite blowing two games. We can keep doing this but you are just going to continue to look sillier and sillier.

I like how you use two power pitchers who are good (when good). Isn't the fact that they are sometimes not good actually a counter to your own argument. Heck, JJ has been awesome (when good).

Tell that to Mariano Rivera. All he's done is pitch to a 0.70 ERA in 141 post season innings while barely breaking 91 MPH. Rivera had a career 7.0/9 K ratio in the post season and Jim Johnson has an 8.0K/9 in the Yankees series despite blowing two games. We can keep doing this but you are just going to continue to look sillier and sillier.

No, I tried Mo Rivera, who shoulda blown him outta the water. He's got his weird opinion, he's sticking to it.

I like results. And history shows power arms get them in the postseason. Not sinkerballers.

Like I already said "as usual you take what could have been a constructive and logical argument and exaggerate it to a ridiculous level of stupidity and hyperbole."

Archived