Sinkerballers should not be closers

Fired-Up

I'd have less of a problem if you said that sinkers may not be as effective in cold weather. I'm wondering if that's a problem myself, because it was kinda weird how he was much better in the 10th. But you're stuff is just so arbitrary that it just begs ridicule.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like how you use two power pitchers who are good (when good). Isn't the fact that they are sometimes not good actually a counter to your own argument. Heck, JJ has been awesome (when good).

Except Beckett and Lincecum might be our generations most dominant postseason starters. They dominate the playoffs. That's a fact.

Curt Schilling just said that postseason is no place for finesse pitchers or sinkerballers. It's about power arms. And to be quite frank it is. See Koufax, Palmer, Gibson, Schilling, Pedro, Beckett (When Good), Lincecum, (When Good), etc, etc.
J.J. throws his power-sinker 94-96 MPH. That's a power arm!

Maybe he thinks that anyone slower than Aroldis Chapman's 100-105 M.P.H. fastballs doesn't qualify as a power arm.

But if that's the case, then he should stipulate that he means power ARM ...... singular.

If my thread is dumb then you are calling Curt Schilling misinformed. I wouldn't try and ignore one the best postseason pitchers of all time. He said Sinkerballers and Finese pitchers don't get it done in the postseason.

I AM calling Curt Schilling misinformed. He's an unmitigated d-bag who talks out of his ass.

I think if given the option of starting in the 9th inning with a one run lead with in every play off game through the World Series with this team and JJ on the mound...every Orioles fan past and present would take that in a second.

Closers of all types have been effective in the playoffs and I'll take my chances with JJ.

If my thread is dumb then you are calling Curt Schilling misinformed. I wouldn't try and ignore one the best postseason pitchers of all time. He said Sinkerballers and Finese pitchers don't get it done in the postseason.

How dare we question the immortal Bloody Sock!!!! For Shame!!!!

It is unsubstantiated and the definition of reactionary.

Just because Schilling was a great postseason pitcher does not mean we have to listen to every word he has to say. When he was a great pitcher he was a blabbering blowhard. Now that someone has given him a microphone, that has not changed. Just because someone was a great athlete, that does not make them wise. I guess I should take his advice on running a business too.

Ciff Lee and Greg Maddux are classic sinkerballers who appear to have pretty good postseason track records to me.

Greg Maddux has a losing record in the postseason. It was power arm John Smoltz (an inferior pitcher) who went 15-4 with a 2.67 ERA in the postseason. Power arms in the playoffs it what wins. Not Maddux type guys.

Archived