Every time I watch Posey hit...

Pedro Cerrano

I don't understand all this Posey is better then Wieters talk. You are talking about two different players that are equally valuable. Thier defensive stats are similar, with two exceptions Wieters plays all his games at catcher where Posey plays some at 1B. Second, Wieters threw out 38.6% of stealers vs. 30.4 for Posey this season. Posey looks to move to 1B at some point where Matt will stay behind the plate. Also, Posey suffers from injury problems where Wieters stays fairly healthy (so far). I am biased to Wieters though and think he is just as valuable for us as Posey is for S.F. And the fact is, you don't know what type of hit he would take to his numbers playing here and what playing catcher 100% of the time would do.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2012 Pre-AS .247/.327/.431/.758

2012 Post-AS .251/.331/.440/.771

Lifetime .260/.328/.421/.749

The fatigue of a long season in Maryland heat doesn't seem to have had an impact. At least not last year. I would love to see if a dozen fewer games behind the plate would have a beneficial effect on Matt's bat, but at this point I think we're getting a clear picture that he is what he is. In my mind that still equates to a well-spent first round draft pick.

Posey is clearly the better hitter, but I don't know how you can make an accurate comparison of their defense. The metrics are really not reliable for catchers, and there is no way to measure their game calling other than to talk to their pitchers and coaches. Does any body watch Posey as often as the watch Wieters? Posey has the advantage of catching three TOR veteran SP, while Wieters catches a lot of young #3's .

Wieters is an above average offensive catcher, and an unbelievable defensive catcher. Is he as good as Posey? Uh...hell no. Is he what we had hoped for? No. He is pretty damn good, though, so I'm certainly not going to complain. Hopefully Teagarden is healthy for the whole season next year, and we can give Matt some more breaks and see if it helps his offense.

I place a high high level of value on Wieters on his defensive abilities behind the plate. I'm hopeful that he will improve at the bat eventually but for now? I'd rather be with him than without him.

also, and this might be slightly besides the point, but he is a super classy guy. really nice. and yes, nice guys alone do not runs produce...but, it still adds points on for me.

I place a high high level of value on Wieters on his defensive abilities behind the plate. I'm hopeful that he will improve at the bat eventually but for now? I'd rather be with him than without him.

also, and this might be slightly besides the point, but he is a super classy guy. really nice. and yes, nice guys alone do not runs produce...but, it still adds points on for me.

I agree, his defensive prowess is nice and I'd rather be with him than without him, too.

However, it's hard to watch him hit sometimes...and his bat is why we drafted him and why we all drooled over him when he was in the minors. I don't want to sound completely ungrateful, there are a lot of teams out there that'd love to have him...but Posey's numbers are what I was expecting/hoping from him.

Glad to hear he's a nice guy, but I'd take a team of Ty Cobbs if it meant they could all get on base at a .360-.400 clip.

Aaaaaaaa, I don't think we know if Matt could do what Posey did this year. Matt is used much differently.

Posey started 111 games at catcher. He started at 1st 29 games. Catching is by far the hardest position on the body. Posey got breaks which was good for his body. As far as his 103 RBI he had Pagan (335 OBP), Scutaro (348 OBP) and Sandoval (342 OBP). More runners on base. More chances to drive them in.

Posey is used something like Mauer is used but not to that extreme. Less time at catcher equals better offensive production.

By comparison, Wieters start 132 games at catcher. 21 games more and over 200 innings more behind the plate. It takes a toll. That is the way Buck and Wieters wants it because he is calling the games for a bunch of rookie pitchers. Even Saunders and Hammel marvel at Wieters game calling. Meanwhile Posey is calling games for a veteran pitching staff. Makes a big difference. He can afford to take days off.

As far as the RBIs. Wieters batted 5th the most. He only had Markakis in front of him for 104 games. Hardy's OBP was 282. There was a bunch of guys who hit 3rd, overall not a high OBP and Jones at 334. If the O's got more base runners on for Wieters he would probably have more RBI. Even more RBI if he wasn't all banged up from catching.

So I don't really think we know what Wieters would do offensively if he caught 111 games and had more guys on base in front of him.

I mean no disrespect by saying this ... But its just a lot of excuse making. Wieters bat is slow and he rarely pulls a ball which diminishes the home field advantage for left handed hitters. IMO a position change would help his problems.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/matt-wieters/hitchart/608689?q=matt-wieters

I mean no disrespect by saying this ... But its just a lot of excuse making. Wieters bat is slow and he rarely pulls a ball which diminishes the home field advantage for left handed hitters. IMO a position change would help his problems.

Maybe it would not hurt him to try to hit right handed. He averaged over .300.

Maybe it would not hurt him to try to hit right handed. He averaged over .300.

I tend to agree ...Switch hitting only works if your good at both sides of the plate. He should give up batting left handed. Doubt he could do any worse hitting right handed only.

Posey had a better offensive year than Wieters. There, does that make it any better?

However, until Wieters plays under the same conditions in term of number of game caught. strength of lineup in front of him, and weather conditions I don't think that we know whether Wieters can do what Posey did this year.

If you ask me the slow bats thing is related to his workload. You squat behind the plate for 132 games and see what it does to your legs and how it effect your bat. It has to have an effect.

I have been saying this for years in the comparison of Wieters to Mauer. Their respective managers treat them differently. Mauer is a hitter that catches. Wieters is a catcher that hits.

Archived