Shohei Otani

paulcoates

Koji is a FA. It is a part of his contract. No way Baltimore brings him back though.

I dunno. If Koji calls you and is willing to take a very reasonable contract, why not.

Who would you rather run out there Ayala or Kojii?? Not to mention the fact that he also becomes insurance if something happens to Johnson (injury).

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dunno. If Koji calls you and is willing to take a very reasonable contract, why not.

Who would you rather run out there Ayala or Kojii?? Not to mention the fact that he also becomes insurance if something happens to Johnson (injury).

Johnson has said that he wants to start, Matusz same boat. The reason this team got to where they got was depth, imagine if that depth had even more talent?

Johnson has said that he wants to start, Matusz same boat. The reason this team got to where they got was depth, imagine if that depth had even more talent?

Kojii is good enough that if he wants to come play for you at the right price.... you make room for him. He is a known quantity and as you said his addition only means further depth. It also as you point out would afford you the opportunity to consider letting Johnson try to go back to SP if they really wanted to explore that option though I suspect they will leave him at CL

Chen is from Taiwan. I don't think he speaks Japanese. At least from his interviews.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I think he does speak it. I recall reading that when he was a FA. Most guys who play in Japan are asked to make the effort to learn it, and players from other Asian countries typically have an easier time doing so than players from non-Asian countries. He may not be able to read or write it since the alphabet takes a lot of dedicated study.

I think he does speak it. I recall reading that when he was a FA. Most guys who play in Japan are asked to make the effort to learn it, and players from other Asian countries typically have an easier time doing so than players from non-Asian countries. He may not be able to read or write it since the alphabet takes a lot of dedicated study.

Reading Japanese Kanji is relatively easy if you know Chinese, since the characters retain their same meaning in 99% of cases, though obviously the pronunciation is drastically different.

If Koji calls I say thanks for the call but no thanks. Koji made $4m in 2012 and pitched 36 innings because he was on the DL for 66 days with a lat injury. He will be 38 next spring.

I will stay with Ayala and his $1m option.

I have no idea how this guy stacks up to a Dylan Bundy out of HS but let's assume he'd be a top ten pick out of a U.S. HS. What kind of contract does this kid get? Does he get the 5-8M contract that would have been typical in Bundy's draft class or does he get a bigger deal spread over multiple years? Remember, he has teams bidding for him on the open market. The Orioles don't have their usual high draft choice this year.

He won't get 5-8 million and it isn't exactly an open market. He falls under the international cap which is set at 2.9 million this year.

Honestly he might be better off financially if he were to sign a one year deal with the KBO or something and hit the MLB market next year when there will be more cap room for some teams.

Each team faces an equal spending limit for 2012-13. Following the 2012-13 year, clubs will face different spending restrictions depending on their winning percentage (teams that win less can spend more). Teams that exceed the spending limit from 2012-13 and 2013-14 face a 75% tax if they exceed the limit by up to 5%. If they exceed the limit by 5-10%, they pay the 75% tax and lose the right to provide more than one player with a bonus worth more than $500K in the next signing period. If they exceed the limit by 10-15%, they face a 100% tax and are prevented from signing any player for $500K or more in the next signing period. If teams exceed the limit by 15% or more, they face a 100% tax and lose the right to spend $250K on any player in the next signing period.

From 2014-15 on penalties will increase if a worldwide draft isn't in place.

Every team will have $2.9MM to spend on international bonuses this offseason, according to Yahoo's Jeff Passan. Eventually the limits will be in the $1.8-5MM range, according to Passan. Starting in 2013-14, teams will be able to trade money from their spending allowance for international players, according to Passan (all Twitter links). However, teams can only boost their original spending limit by 50% through trades.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/cba-details-luxury-tax-draft-.html

He won't get 5-8 million and it isn't exactly an open market. He falls under the international cap which is set at 2.9 million this year.

Honestly he might be better off financially if he were to sign a one year deal with the KBO or something and hit the MLB market next year when there will be more cap room for some teams.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/cba-details-luxury-tax-draft-.html

Good stuff, thx for the info.

Yes, thanks for clearing that up. Still I have more questions. Is that 2.9M for your total international pool or is that a cap on an individual signing? If it's for total pool, the Latin signing over the summer already count towards it, right?

Total pool. And yes summer signings count against it.

Archived