Favorite memories from this season

Moose Milligan

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

16 straight extra inning victories, 29-9 in one run games, Reimold's early power surge, Wieters' 2 homer game in Chicago, a clutch pitching performance from the DH in a 17 inning win in Boston (a game in which Davis went 0-8 with 5 strikeouts and a double play), Jones' breakout season, Jones’ extra inning home runs, Reynolds' amazing home run barrage that kept them in the race in early September, Davis' homer streak that helped keep them alive in late September, Manny's defense, Manny’s 2 homer game, Davis’ 3 homer game, the antics of the bullpen, the performance of the bullpen, Markakis' summer surge, Mclouth's reemergence, Matusz thriving in a new role, a Mexican league outcast (Gonzalez) becoming our best starter, 51 saves from Johnson, Chen, Hammel, Tillman, Saunders and O'Day in the post season, Buck, Teagarden's go ahead rbi's, the ever-changing 25 man roster, a 6 home run game, a 7 home run game (both at which I was in attendance), the Orioles Legends statue unveilings, sell-out crowds, a winning season, playoff games, winning the wild card game, the locker room celebration, making the rest of this town care about baseball again...I'm sure I missed something.

Today, believe it or not, when my 4-yr old started crying uncontrollably after the last out, saying he was so sad the O's had lost and were done for the season. Until then, he was sort of watching with me when I had the game on, was sort of rooting for the O's but asking when the next commercial break was going to be, was sort of into the game until something better caught his attention. Today, my son really became an O's fan, and yes, that is my favorite memory of the 2012 season.

People have covered all of them pretty much, but I loved the game in NY where Tillman was pitching sick and gave up 5 in the first, and then gutted out 5 innings, showing his true heart when Buck informed him his night was done. That same game, Chris Davis hit the grand slam to lead the comeback. That was a fun one.

The Bill Hall walk-off was pretty spectacular, too.

Also, Arrieta's opening day start was a great time.

People have covered all of them pretty much, but I loved the game in NY where Tillman was pitching sick and gave up 5 in the first, and then gutted out 5 innings, showing his true heart when Buck informed him his night was done. That same game, Chris Davis hit the grand slam to lead the comeback. That was a fun one.

The Bill Hall walk-off was pretty spectacular, too.

Also, Arrieta's opening day start was a great time.

What Bill Hall walkoff?

1. This was the first year I was able to travel back home with my wife and sons, it was their first time at Camden Yards, Boog Powell threw out the first pitch, and the O's lost to the A's in one of J.J.'s three regular season blown saves. It was still an amazing night, and my family looks great in O's gear. Chris Davis blasted a home run early in the game, and it was a moon shot. Fun.

2. Nearly all of the second half of the season extra inning wins, I hate to pick out one when they were all important, but it got to a near humorous level. I would joke to my wife, "The other team made a fatal mistake, they are trying to take the O's to extra innings!" And then they would win. Eventually.

3. The Wild Card game. A life long O's fan, 15-years of standing by the team and I was as nervous as a fan as I have ever been (age 47, that's a couple baseball games over time). Awesome win, awesome return to the post-season stage and a bit more swagger in my step walking around Denver with my old O's jacket on.

-Don

What Bill Hall walkoff?

You're right. That never happened. He did hit a home run though, and I remember thinking distinctively, "Wow, for the first time in my life as an Oriole fan, the auxiliary players are capable of producing."

I have had a bit to drink.

Machado fake to first nail him at 3rd, I was sitting down the 3rd base line it was a thing of beauty and the place went NUTS.

I was literally speechless, and just was in complete awe that this little 19 year old kid did that right in front of my eyes.

Never seen anything like it, flawless execution.

For me, the entire season was amazing. My personal highlights were attending three games - Machados debut in August, even though it was a loss, and attending two games in September (6th and 26th) in which the O's beat both the Yank's and the Jays. The 6th was Cal's statue game, and it was insane...and featured six homers. And then I saw them rout the Jays on the 26th, when they hit seven homers. Between the two games, I saw homers by: Wieters (one), Andino (one), Reynolds (three), Jones (one), Davis (three), McLouth (one), Thome (one), and Machado (two). Between the two games, I saw Reynolds, Davis, and Machado have two homer games. The Cal statue night was especially meaningful, especially due to the almost loss/comeback aspect. But, if I may, I'd like to quote what I posted on FB after the game tonight:

To Buck Showalter, Dan Duquette, Matt Wieters, Chris Davis, Adam Jones, Darren O'Day, Pedro Strop, Jim Johnson, Ryan Flaherty, Robert Andino, J.J. Hardy, Manny Machado, Nick Markakis, Nate McLouth, Wei-Yin Chen, Jason Hammel, Mark Reynolds, Troy Patton, Miguel Gonzalez, Jim Thome, and the multitude of other 2012 Orioles who gave us a magical season (and to all those who served the 'Birds loyally for those many years they roamed the desert): No, I'm glad YOU came. Thank you!

With the "Glad You Came" video. I first saw that when I was at the Jays blowout, and it almost brought a tear to my eye...this team - their genuine love for each other and the fans is the ultimate highlight. I can't resist:

[video=youtube_share;ZAiadUMDDZ8]

So many to choose from:

- Seeing the O's in NY live and not having to go to Yankee Stadium (even though they got swept in that series against the Mets)

- Going to a Baysox game in July because the O's were out of town and disappointed Machado didn't play that night. Wouldn't you know it he got called up two weeks later when I was going to be in town. Which leads me to...

- Finally took my girlfriend of almost five years to her first game at Camden Yards (she's been to a few in NY with me). We suffered through the rain delay before the Eddie Murray game and were glad we decided to go on Sunday as well which was a beautiful day highlighted by her now favorite Oriole Nick homering as well as Manny hitting his 3rd in 4 days in the majors.

- Seeing my all time favorite games in two different ballparks in the same week. The last away game against the Yankees in early September where Reynolds hit a pair of bombs and then Markakis drives in a few more to empty out the stadium. Four days later was the Cal statue game which is the greatest game I've ever seen live and was the stepping stone for the amazing crowds over the last month.

For the 20th anniversary of Camden Yards, you could probably put at least 20 moments alone just for this year that happened at home.

Archived