Angelos said this is "the year that we mean business

Greg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can see it now. Signing Hamilton to some huge contract even though Buck and Dan don't think he is a good fit for the club.

I'll believe that when I do see it, which is very unlikely. I get the feeling that his opinion of DD and BS is such that he is unlikely to overrule them if they share an opinion different than his.

It is clear that this team has enough to contend. Can the young guys mature a little more? Can a few vets at least maintain their performance? Can DD pick up a few pieces? A few quality moves could really make a difference.

This is the perfect time to take risks to add talent and not be complacent thinking we can repeat 93 wins.

We have A LOT of question marks.

Angelos used to have a thing about beating out Steinbrenner in the FA market; it's one reason he landed Albert Belle. But then he did dumb things like let Mussina go over to the Dark Side. I don't think that, in general, signing up a marquee player who suddenly has the highest salary on the team is good for its chemistry and the way Buck and Duquette have tried to develop the organization. He'd have to be a team-oriented "nugget" (albeit a gold nugget), someone like Thome or Brooks or Smoltz in their primes, or an inexhaustible battler like Frank or Gibson. Hard to find. Not sure that anything less is worth the fortune.

This is the perfect time to take risks to add talent and not be complacent thinking we can repeat 93 wins.

We have A LOT of question marks.

The same can be said of any team including the ones left standing and we had plenty of them before this 93 win season commenced. Complacent is one thing buck and dd will not be.

If we spend significant money on anything, I want it to be a true ACE. We need a Cain, Sabathia, Verlander, etc. Yes...easier said than done, and maybe Bundy eventually becomes that...but I dont think "hoping" guys like Chen, Hammel, Gonzo, Tillman somehow turn into that guy would be a great decision. Pitching wins championships.

To be fair DD did say the payroll would increase with the attendance. As I said in the other thread attendance the last time I saw was up 20% and they had 2 extra gates that were sell outs.

The Orioles need a #4 hitter to take the pressure off Jones. Matt Wieters needs to bat 7th or 8th. Honestly I'm not sure I keep any of Reynolds, Ford, Chavez, or Davis. I think Buck really likes Saunders and that the pitching staff will be kept intact. I think that gives the team depth to deal with Arrieta, Britton, and Matusz. I'm not counting anything from Roberts and I think they should try to talk him into retiring. Reimold starts the year at AAA and proves he can stay healthy.

You've made this comment about Davis in several threads and I'm really confused by it. Davis has a breakout season at 26 and is under team control for 3 more years through arbitration. He's shown the ability to be a solid OFer in a pinch and could still be a contributor at the corner IF spots if needed. Granted, he's game is not without holes but there's no discernible reason to want to be rid of a guy like Davis.

Chavez is gone and Ford is gone, no doubt about that. Reynolds though, I'd like to see him stay. Given the lack of impact 1st baseman available, how well Reynolds handled the transition to 1st base defensively and that we may be able to extend him at a fairly reasonable price, relative to other "big" 1st baseman, I think him coming back is a slam dunk.

Their big need is 2b and OBP hitters. Now you have markakis jones and mclouth in the OF with Davis at DH. Are you gonna replace mclouth who was your best postseason performer and unsung hero? No way. And you sure as hell cant replace Chris Davis who might hit 40 hrs next year.

As far as the infield goes there are 3 guys you could do something with. I really really like JJ and hes a fantastic fielder but his OBP is real bad. He has decent trade value and Manny could match his gold glove caliber fielding. Maybe you trade for headley now?

Archived