How much is Nate McClouth going to cost?

ChuckS

What is the obsession with Reimold? Someone please tell me.

Apparently we are obsessed with guys who show up for a month or two and look good.

Look I like McLouth, I would like Reimhold if he stayed healthy. More than either of those guys I would like a LF who is a every day guy, proven and has some power and OBP capability. LF is one of the few spots on the roster where an upgrade could have a major positive impact. McLouth was decent but not hand the keys to the car decent IMO. Great as a 4th OF giving guys off or stepping in for injury. Not so sure about every day player. Maybe he could be but thats not the type of gamble a team aiming to win a WS makes....

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apparently we are obsessed with guys who show up for a month or two and look good.

Look I like McLouth, I would like Reimhold if he stayed healthy. More than either of those guys I would like a LF who is a every day guy, proven and has some power and OBP capability. LF is one of the few spots on the roster where an upgrade could have a major positive impact. McLouth was decent but not hand the keys to the car decent IMO. Great as a 4th OF giving guys off or stepping in for injury. Not so sure about every day player. Maybe he could be but thats not the type of gamble a team aiming to win a WS makes....

Preach on brother.

Take everything he said and say the opposite and you have my opinion. I seriously don't know what the love affair with Reimold is. The guy showed a little pop a couple years ago and has been more fragile than glass since. Let's compare Reimold's 2011 season to McClouth's 2012 season. That is the closest number of plate appearances.

Reimold McClouth

AB 267 236

AVG .247 .268 *

RUNS 40 * 35

DBL 10 12 *

HR 13 * 7

RBI 45 * 18

SB 7 12 *

OBP .328 .342 *

WAR .7 .8 *

FLD% .981 .991 *

Reimold gives you more pop, but on this team full of power hitters you need people on base. McClouth gives you higher batting avg, stolen bases, gets on base more and is a better fielder. I would argue their power numbers would be equal if Nate didn't have to fill in the leadoff spot where his job was to get on base. I would take McClouth over Reimold every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Take everything he said and say the opposite and you have my opinion. I seriously don't know what the love affair with Reimold is. The guy showed a little pop a couple years ago and has been more fragile than glass since. Let's compare Reimold's 2011 season to McClouth's 2012 season. That is the closest number of plate appearances.

Reimold McClouth

AB 267 236

AVG .247 .268 *

RUNS 40 * 35

DBL 10 12 *

HR 13 * 7

RBI 45 * 18

SB 7 12 *

OBP .328 .342 *

WAR .7 .8 *

FLD% .981 .991 *

Reimold gives you more pop, but on this team full of power hitters you need people on base. McClouth gives you higher batting avg, stolen bases, gets on base more and is a better fielder. I would argue their power numbers would be equal if Nate didn't have to fill in the leadoff spot where his job was to get on base. I would take McClouth over Reimold every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I was saying I would take neither as my starter lol

I will take a guy with a PROVEN track record. I would keep McLouth as my 4th OF to start periodically and give guys a day off or step in for injury, maybe even DH some. He could be a valuable asset in those roles. His speed could make him a good situational pinch runner or hitter (sac bunt etc). I think in that role Nate could easily see 200-300 AB

Reimold if he is healthy could be corner OF depth, part time DH, etc.... that said to depend on him for anything beyond that is ridiculous based on his injury history and inability to stay on the field.

Nate made 1.75 million this year after 2 very bad seasons with Atlanta. He will be 31 to start next season.

Now, he's fast. Can get on base...has some pop. Plays solid defense. The issue is, of course, are his injury woes behind him..and are you going to pay him like a starter for doing very well in about 240 or so plate appearances?

Now, I'm all for something like an incentive laden 2 year deal with a team option for a 3rd. Perhaps give him something like a $6.5 million deal over 2 years with $4.75-$5 million option for 3rd year. So:

2013: $2.75

2014: $3.75

2015: $4.75

Performance bonuses that could make the $6.5 million worth about $9 million.

Nate made 1.75 million this year after 2 very bad seasons with Atlanta. He will be 31 to start next season.

Now, he's fast. Can get on base...has some pop. Plays solid defense. The issue is, of course, are his injury woes behind him..and are you going to pay him like a starter for doing very well in about 240 or so plate appearances?

Now, I'm all for something like an incentive laden 2 year deal with a team option for a 3rd. Perhaps give him something like a $6.5 million deal over 2 years with $4.75-$5 million option for 3rd year. So:

I have no problem with that at all, I figured he was gonna be around a $3-3.5 mill a year player market wise.

Throw some incentives in and that is a good deal for both sides.

That would be reasonable though would prefer a 2yr deal for a guy with his injury and performance history. No prob with the 3rd if its a club option or vesting option of some sort.

Its not that I dislike Nate, quite the contrary, he is a guy who I think can be very valuable to this team. I think his maximum value though comes from being that 4th guy in the OF (and with that will come a significant #of AB) who can DH periodically, steal a base or two etc...

In that 4th OF role he is most likely a great asset. Assuming he can extrapolate his numbers in his AB's this year over the course of 162 game season is a mistake IMO and could leave you having to trade valuable prospects to bring someone in at the deadline.

It might be different if there was a top notch prospect who was highly likely to be ready next year. Hoes and Avery could be nice complimentary players but neither has done enough to this point were they are significant enough talents that one would assume they will be written into the starting OF eventually. They could both be decent players or both never spend much significant time at the MLB level.

It's tough to gauge what McLouth will cost. I'd offer $3.5 mm with a team option that vests after 450 PA at $5.5 mm.

I also agree with this. I wouldn't want to go three years. McLouth has not hit lefties. Going into the season a McLouth/Reimold platoon looks good. McLouth could prove that he can hit lefties and become an everyday player, but he has to prove it. With Reimold injury history McLouth probably gets the chance at some point to try to show he can hit the lefties. Hoes is good insurance at AAA.

A McLouth/Reimold platoon, while not ideal, could work: McLouth is significantly better vs RHP (.793 vs .649 OPS) while Reimold is essentially even (.804 vs .775 OPS). Use McLouth against most righties, get his superior defense, with Reimold as a late-game pinch-hitter for Flaherty or whomever, and start Reimold against lefties, to cover for McLouth's heavy split.

I'd be 100% fine if our four opening day OFs are Reimold, McLouth, Markakis, Jones. Starting at AAA for another year won't hurt Avery or Hoes.

Don't forget the depth that Davis brings in the outfield. He showed he can play the corners.

Buck said they want to keep Pearce over the winter. Might be thinking of him as a possibility instead of Reimold.

I can see Pearce staying on the roster this winter with the idea of waiving him on opening day. He would be good depth if they could get him to AAA.

Archived