Angel Pagan - CF

Marco Scutaro - 2B

Pablo Sandoval - 3B

Buster Posey - C

Hunter Pence - RF

Brandon Belt - 1B

Gregor Blanco - LF

Brandon Crawford - SS

Madison Bumgarner - LHP (16-11, 3.37 ERA)

http://baseballpress.com/lineup.php

O

GAME TWO

CARDINALS

Jon Jay - CF

Carlos Beltran - RF

Matt Holliday - LF

Allen Craig - 1B

Yadier Molina - C

David Freese - 3B

Daniel Descalso - 2B

Pete Kozma - SS

Chris Carpenter - RHP (0-2, 3.71 ERA)

GIANTS

Angel Pagan - CF

Marco Scutaro - 2B

Pablo Sandoval - 3B

Buster Posey - C

Hunter Pence - RF

Brandon Belt - 1B

Gregor Blanco - LF

Brandon Crawford - SS

Ryan Vogelsong -RHP (14-9, 3.37 ERA)

Jeez, Kozma is an important part of the Cards' postseason offense and hit .333 during the reg. season. But he had only 72 ABs (89 career ABs) and has a career minor league BA of .236. You never know who's going to shine in October.

It's hard to compare, of course, but I don't think I've ever heard a baseball crowd as loudly into every moment of a game as tonight's SF fans. It must make it hard for the Cardinal pitchers to collect their wits.

O

GAME THREE

GIANTS

Angel Pagan - CF

Marco Scutaro - 2B

Pablo Sandoval - 3B

Buster Posey - C

Hunter Pence - RF

Brandon Belt - 1B

Gregor Blanco - LF

Brandon Crawford - SS

Matt Cain -RHP (16-5, 2.79 ERA)

CARDINALS

Jon Jay - CF

Carlos Beltran - RF

Matt Holliday - LF

Allen Craig - 1B

Yadier Molina - C

David Freese - 3B

Daniel Descalso - 2B

Pete Kozma - SS

Kyle Lohse - RHP (16-3, 2.86 ERA)

O

GAME FOUR

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS

Angel Pagan - CF

Marco Scutaro - 2B

Buster Posey - 1B

Pablo Sandoval - 3B

Hector Sanchez - C

Hunter Pence - RF

Gregor Blanco - LF

Brandon Crawford - SS

Tim Lincecum - RHP (10-15, 5.18 ERA)

ST. LOUIS CARDINALS

Jon Jay - CF

Matt Carpenter - 1B

Matt Holliday - LF

Allen Craig - RF

Yadier Molina - C

David Freese - 3B

Daniel Descalso - 2B

Pete Kozma - SS

Adam Wainwright - RHP (14-13, 3.94 ERA)

O

GAME FIVE

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS

Angel Pagan - CF

Marco Scutaro - 2B

Pablo Sandoval - 3B

Buster Posey - C

Hunter Pence - RF

Brandon Belt

Gregor Blanco - LF

Brandon Crawford - SS

Barry Zito - LHP (15-8, 4.15 ERA)

ST. LOUIS CARDINALS

Jon Jay - CF

Carlos Beltran - RF

Matt Holliday - LF

Allen Craig - 1B

Yadier Molina - C

David Freese - 3B

Daniel Descalso - 2B

Pete Kozma - SS

Lance Lynn - RHP (18-7, 3.78 ERA)

O

GAME SIX

ST. LOUIS CARDINALS

Jon Jay - CF

Carlos Beltran - RF

Matt Holliday - LF

Allen Craig - 1B

Yadier Molina - C

David Freese - 3B

Daniel Descalso - 2B

Pete Kozma - SS

Chris Carpenter - RHP (0-2, 3.71 ERA)

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS

Angel Pagan - CF

Marco Scutaro - 2B

Pablo Sandoval - 3B

Buster Posey - C

Hunter Pence - RF

Brandon Belt - 1B

Gregor Blanco - LF

Brandon Crawford - SS

Ryan Vogelsong -RHP (14-9, 3.37 ERA)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Ambruester could be a up/down guy for us this year in the pen and find himself on the 40 man. Handley could be added if we have any injury at catcher and could also be added because McCann is a FA. Catching depth is just too thin in MLB to develop Handley all this way and not take advantage of his three optionable years. 
    • Yeah, I like him.  He's an impressive guy, he's done a lot of great philanthropic work.  Purchasing the Magna Carta is super impressive.  Also, it's clear he's a diehard fan and he seems to be comfortable enough with himself to allow others to make decisions.   But I've said it before and I'll say it again, just because he's not Angelos and doesn't mean he's going to spend money.  A lot of people around here seem to think it's a foregone conclusion that he will because...well, that's what people want to believe.  The good news here is that the Angelos group set a really low bar to compare to, practically anything will be better.   Yesterday when that pinecone Brown asked him a question, something about how he and his new ownership group can help the team win, he didn't mention spending money in free agency.  I'm going to re-watch the game today while I'm working and I'll listen closer to what he said, but he said a lot of things and none of them had anything to do with spending money and raising the payroll.   Now, maybe he was caught off-guard by that question and rattled off a few things that came to mind immediately, but if that's the case then spending money obviously isn't on the top of his mind.  He's not said anything about it anywhere, from what I've seen.  If someone can show me a quote where he's said that he'd like to spend in free agency, well, I'd love to be wrong. So I think we're in great hands from a lot of perspectives, but the big thing that everyone wants to know remains to be seen.  And it's not a sure thing.
    • Aside from the appreciation of watching a real #1 go to work (something we haven't had in decades), my thought about Burnes 2025+ / Elias / Rubenstein is that while I don't think ME is ever going to be of the Brian Cashman variety of GMs that just throw money at problems, he could prove to be the type that will spend big when he thinks the ROI will be there. 2024 could be the long, up-close look at Burnes that ME needs to tell Rubenstein that he's worth the investment if the money doesn't get too stupid. And it probably will, but this last offseason was a strange one for the top of the SP market.  Let's say we sign him to 6 additional years and he spends 7 as an Oriole counting this year, if we manage to win 2 championships with him under contract, I think that's a great return. Basically, my thought is to sign him for the full run of the youngsters and have him be the anchor of the pitching staff the whole time. This dude is built to have a long career.
    • I'll be very surprised if Burnes gets offered a LT deal before Adley and Gunnar. Heck even GRod or Holliday. 
    • In your original post, you highlighted their record over the past 30 years on Opening Day, and if you're going over that time, yesterday was right up there with the three walk-off wins from 2016 to 2018 and the oddity of the snow game in 2003. If you're talking about the history of the team, 1992 tops yesterday in terms of what the day meant for the franchise and the city.  Truth be told, Peter Angelos hit every note at the home opener in 1992 as well.  50,000 people experiencing that ballpark for the first time can't be topped.  The game was great as well (and quick!). In terms of excitement, I'd take 1989 over yesterday as well.  They'd lost 12-0 on Opening Day 1988 to start their 21 game winless streak.  Some writers were predicting a no-hitter from Roger Clemens at the opener in '89.  Between the Ripken homer off of Clemens and the Worthington game-winner in extras, there was such a feeling of jubilation and relief leaving the stadium that day.  Nobody had any idea what a wonderful season it would lead to. Runner-up status also goes to 1982 (Ripken's first HR and a Murray grand slam) and often overlooked 1985 (snowed then as well, and Eddie hit a go-ahead homer in the bottom of the 8th after Charlie Hough no-hit us through six innings).
    • I’ll take the under on 78 but let’s not act like they’re the 2019 Orioles. 
    • Velo and spin rates on all of his cutter, slider and curve were up a tick compared to last year. Burnes’ velo had been eroding the last couple years so that’s a great sign. Burnes’ ability to spin the ball is crazy - truly one of the elite in the game at that. He’s around 3000 RPMs on both breaking balls and 2750 on the cutter yesterday. He’s going to be so fun to watch this year. 
  • Popular Contributors