Reds pushing for Bedard hard?

fewfirstchoice

I have to say if this is the haul we get for Bedard, Tejada and BRob, i will be disappointed:

Top tier guys:

Votto

Cueto

Second tier:

Gallagher

Patton

Scott

Murton

Bottom tier:

Sarfate

Costanzo

Albers

EPat(could be second tier if he can play second)

Stubbs

Lanish

This doesn't really excite me at all.

I think if you look at it in value of assets in the current market it looks much better.

Mediocre to Good SP (recieving 10-13 mil/ year as FA)

Albers

Patton

Cueto

Gallager

.800 OPS/ 25 HR hitters. (Reviving 8-12 mil/ year as FA)

Scott

Votto

Murton

Then there is the extra. I still think that is pretty decent. If they all reach their projections then that is ~70 million/ year worth of players the Orioles have under their control for quite some time. I realize its a big if, but its something.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rather deal with Seattle than Cincy based on what's being discussed here.

That said, I think the board underrates Stubbs. He has above average major league tools across the board except hitting for average and he made major progress in that area in the last part of last season. If CFers with .325 obp are acceptable to some teams, I am cautiously optimistic we'll be more than satisfied with Stubbs all-around game.

Not so impressed with the BRob trade unless our FO is confident Gallagher will definitely be a 3 with 2 potential.

Jones plays center. If you go the other way w/Votto, you have a dazzling duo of Tike Redmon and Payton platooning in center unless you want to put Markakis there.

If you don't get a premium SS in a Bedard or Roberts trade who plays short-Hernandez?

Then if you make the Cubs trade for Roberts who plays second? Another nobody?

You have to look at these trades and what kind of lineup they'll leave the Orioles. You make the Cincy and Cubs trades and could be left with THREE MAJOR HOLES in the lineup and no prospect (no pun intended) of filling them anytime soon.

If Eric Patterson is any type of athlete, how could he not be able to play second base?

I agree that the two trades discussed here are somewhat underwhelming, although if they came to pass we would actually have the starting pitching depth that many have claimed we do now.

Finally, I'll just add that I think that the Orioles are probably "close" to a lot of deals with several teams, but I don't know that that means any of them are necessarily imminent.

Jones plays center. If you go the other way w/Votto, you have a dazzling duo of Tike Redmon and Payton platooning in center unless you want to put Markakis there.

If you don't get a premium SS in a Bedard or Roberts trade who plays short-Hernandez?

Then if you make the Cubs trade for Roberts who plays second? Another nobody?

You have to look at these trades and what kind of lineup they'll leave the Orioles. You make the Cincy and Cubs trades and could be left with THREE MAJOR HOLES in the lineup and no prospect (no pun intended) of filling them anytime soon.

I don't think this is true, frankly. We should be maximizing our return value rather than accepting lesser value with needs for next year in mind. We'll figure out someone to play CF. We'll find someone to play SS. If there are two trades on the table, we absolutely need to take the biggest return.

With all this debate going on, why do I have the feeling we are going to be pleasantly surprised by whatever we get back for Roberts and Bedard?

I think McPhail is playing this extremely well, and isn't going to accept second tier players for either of these guys. We may get some second tier guys, but we will land at least 3 blue-chippers for Roberts and Bedard...or they won't be dealt.

I think it will be one of the younger guys without options like Cherry, Cabrera, etc.

Cherry makes sense since you have not heard a word about him from anyone since the season ended. He seems to be the odd man out. DCab, on the other hand, would be a bigger plus because if he is gone they can't give into the temptation to keep pitching him every 5 days.

If Eric Patterson is any type of athlete, how could he not be able to play second base?

I agree that the two trades discussed here are somewhat underwhelming, although if they came to pass we would actually have the starting pitching depth that many have claimed we do now.

Finally, I'll just add that I think that the Orioles are probably "close" to a lot of deals with several teams, but I don't know that that means any of them are necessarily imminent.

If Eric Patterson lands in Baltimore, you can be sure that the plan is to play him everyday, either in CF or at 2B.

I don't see a lot of people considering the CF possibility.

Cherry makes sense since you have not heard a word about him from anyone since the season ended. He seems to be the odd man out. DCab, on the other hand, would be a bigger plus because if he is gone they can't give into the temptation to keep pitching him every 5 days.

I expect that bigbird's reference was to Fernando Cabrera, not Daniel.

I don't care if any of our return for Bedard can make it in the MLB. That shouldn't be our criteria. We've had too much experience with league average guys who can make it in the MLB. I want at least one premium, (probable) stand-out, difference maker for Bedard and I think the Mariner deal will give us that in Jones. I'm not convinced we'll get that in a Reds trade.

Lucky Jim, we'll "find someone" to play three key positions on the team, but nobody good. You don't just "find someone" to play short, second and center very well, very often. These trades are the opportunity to build this team for the future, and those positions are key. The Orioles farm system has NOTHING at any of these three positions.

Hell, you aren't even getting any really premium talent with the two trades mentioned here at the other positions for that matter. You're getting a few ok guys who might be better than average and a bunch of filler and may-bees like we got for Tejada.

I'm hoping that these are just rumors.These trades are plain stupid!!

If Eric Patterson lands in Baltimore, you can be sure that the plan is to play him everyday, either in CF or at 2B.

I don't see a lot of people considering the CF possibility.

I brought up CF as an option, but do we know if he can handle it? I'm sure he could probably do an okay job in a Jerry Hairston sort of way, but MacPhail and Trembley seem to want grade A defense up the middle. So my question is, can he be that good in CF?

I'd rather deal with Seattle than Cincy based on what's being discussed here.

That said, I think the board underrates Stubbs. He has above average major league tools across the board except hitting for average and he made major progress in that area in the last part of last season. If CFers with .325 obp are acceptable to some teams, I am cautiously optimistic we'll be more than satisfied with Stubbs all-around game.

Not so impressed with the BRob trade unless our FO is confident Gallagher will definitely be a 3 with 2 potential.

Stubbs was old for his league and struck out a ton and only hit 270...My guess is the average drops and the K's go up...He is probably going to get overmatched as he moves up the ladder. His SB % this past season was awful and his slugging wasn't much above 400...That's not good for a 22 y/o in Single A.

I see no reason to think he is going to be much more than a 4th OFer.

Again, he is a guy rated where he is because of where he was drafted.

He has tools and shows you signs that he could be very good but the reality is, he likely won't be.

The Reds can remove all the extra crap out of the package and just put in Hamilton, Encarnacion or some kind of combination of Maloney and another decent prospect.

If they did that, the trade tilts towards Cinci unless Seattle is willing to put Tillma and Sherrill or something like that on the table.

The BRob trade is just bad....I am not sure how you can trade BRob without getting either Pie or Veal back in the trade, along with Gallagher.

I think you could definitely get more from the WS than this...DLS, Danks or Gio and Quentin for BRob? Much rather have that than the Cubs offer.

There are other teams that you would assume would be after BRob...Are we not talking to them? Is AM just going to do a deal with his buddy???

Archived