Reds pushing for Bedard hard?

fewfirstchoice

For what it is worth, the Cub message boards all seem to like Murton over Pie. Food for thought....

On a separate note, if the O's are going to keep DCab, I would love to see him spend the season at AAA and learn to pitch. It is not going to happen on the big club.

When he does things right we see a 1 hitter against the Yankees. But when he gets in trouble he starts to aim the ball. And what happened to his slider?

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe this is helpful

http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/mlb/news?slug=mb-splitsville_022607

How do you determine who is lucky and who is just plain good?

Its more, with how much confidence can we say so and so is exhibiting 1) their true talent or 2) running good. Circumstantial evidence, like they are fast and/or hit lots of line drives and ground balls and not so many flyballs (or they are a really good bunter) or more generally that they rake and typically hit the ball squarely and with authority will lend further support.

FWIW HRs are not balls in play, so most definitions of BABIP do not include them. So big HR guys tend to have lower BABIPs than one might first think.

Look at the line drive percentage too.

Let's not forget that BABIP averages are different at each level and (especially with pitchers) it is not considered 100% a product of luck. There's clearly a skillset involved. Also, more important than BABIP is the difference between it and BA.

Can you explain this point?

Also, more important than BABIP is the difference between it and BA.

These are the guys who hit lots of home runs and/or strikeout a lot.

Ryan Howard. Adam Dunn. Grady Sizemore. B.J. Upton. Carlos Pena. Chris Young. Adrian Gonzalez. etc, etc

High BABIP = u RAKE!

Are you thinking that they are building this pitching depth for a Jason Bay trade?

I for one wouldn't want to add Bay, but if you could get him for Murton or Scott, and a few prospects I'd listen depending on the minor leaguers involved.

I think Scott is a poor man's Bay though.

Are you thinking that they are building this pitching depth for a Jason Bay trade?

I for one wouldn't want to add Bay, but if you could get him for Murton or Scott, and a few prospects I'd listen depending on the minor leaguers involved.

I think Scott is a poor man's Bay though.

I think that was a joke, but I've been wrong before with these types of things.

But why not hold out for a premium prospect from someone else. Roberts is an all-star 2nd baseman and isn't likely to regress in the coming year. Someone will be willing to pay more. There is no need to hurry with him.

I agree with you baltfan. Why rush the Roberts trade unless your getting a top prospect in return. The Bedard trade should be done as soon as possible assuming your getting good value.

One worry I have with the Reds is that they may not be a playoff team with Bedard. If they are not and Bedard pitches well, the Reds could decide to deal EB and he could end up back in our division next season.

I think Seattle is much less likely to move EB after this season than the Reds.

The Reds wouldn't look to good if they traded two of their top 3 prospects, and some other prospects for a guy only to turn around and trade him at the trade deadline.

I think they'd be in the hunt with Bedard and Harang at the top of their rotaiton.

Archived