Roddy Peters to Announce at 9am Tomorrow.

Maryland's own Roddy Peters will be announcing his decision tomorrow morning around 9am. Maryland is rumored to be the heavy favorite for the top 40 recruit according to ESPN. Turgeon, and Dalonte Hill were visiting him and his family tonight, so speculation is that he will be a Terp. Kansas, Georgetown, and Xavier were other landing spots but with Kansas recieving commitments from Wayne Seldon a top 20 recruit along with Frank Mason, there frontcourt seems crowded. Peters cancelled his visit with Xavier after Maryland Madness, and Georgetown has been quiet on him, so the consensus from some writers and insiders is that Peters will be a Terp.

Great job by Turgeon and his staff on getting Peters. So, so happy we have a guy like Turgeon doing what needed to be done on the recruiting side in order to put Maryland back where it should be amongst the top college basketball programs. Thought this was the most interesting part of the article.

"His commitment is important for other reasons, too: he's the first D.C. recruit to commit to Maryland since Adrian Bowie, back in 2007, which is mind-boggling considering the amount of talent D.C.'s put out since then. He's also the first D.C. Assault kid to commit since ... ever? Assault, long a big-time power broker in the D.C., had notoriously poor relations with Gary Williams. Turgeon went to great lengths in order to smooth things over, hiring Assault alumnus Dalonte Hill as an assistant at the same time DCA switched over to Under Armour. This should be a long and fruitful relationship, and landing Peters is just the start of it.

In all, this says a lot about Maryland. Recovering quickly and strongly on recruiting misses is something that only the very best can do with consistency, and Maryland did it here. That they did it with a D.C. kid makes it all the more impressive (and important)."

I'm beginning to think that Gary Williams was an awful awful recruiter.

I guess what I don't understand is why there was an apparent friction between Gary and the Assault? I'm not understanding why you don't get along with the local people who are involved with these recruits. THe Bmore/DC area is HUGE on talent...not sure why anyone in charge at UMD would not want to make a concerted effort to make these relationships better.

I'm beginning to think that Gary Williams was an awful awful recruiter.

Beginning? ;) I'm not going to get into the whole Williams thing because I'm certain my opinion has been stated 1,000 times on here. All I will say is I'm extremely happy to see Turgeon doing all the things Maryland should have been doing for all these years. Go Terps!

I guess what I don't understand is why there was an apparent friction between Gary and the Assault? I'm not understanding why you don't get along with the local people who are involved with these recruits. THe Bmore/DC area is HUGE on talent...not sure why anyone in charge at UMD would not want to make a concerted effort to make these relationships better.

Gary was king. If you did not bow down to the King or come see him, he wasn't interested in you. That didn't go over well with the amateur coaches who had their own egos. There were numerous reports of Gary just being Gary. He got away with it for a lot of years because of the National Championship gave him a "lifetime" contract. It wasn't until Maryland became a second-tier ACC school that Gary finally relented and realized he was holding this program back. Either way, so glad to see Turgeon add the guys to his staff like Hill that gave him the ability to move back into those strong AAU programs that allowed him to recruit the top tier talent again.

Nice get by Turgeon.

I'm probably in the minority here (actually, I KNOW I'm in the minority here) but I'd really rather have him than the one-and-done Harrisons. I have no problem in principle with one-and-done guys, but it's just so much more fun when guys stick around and you get to know them for 3-4 years.

Congrats to Roddy, he said some time ago that MD was his dream school.

Maryland is looking like a top team for 2013-2014 and beyond. If Len sticks around I could see us as a pre-season top 5.

MD will probably begin to more often face the same problems that other top programs face.

I will be very surprised if Len is back after next year. If Faust has a good year, I could see him leaving as well.

With basketball becoming more and more popular internationally, you are going to see more and more guys leave early because they know they can make a living in Europe even if they can't make it in the NBA.

Archived