Would you consider acquiring a stud 3rd Baseman and sending Machado back to minors?

FanSince88

Willing to send Machado to minors/bench if O's sign stud 3B?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Willing to send Machado to minors/bench if O's sign stud 3B?

• No way, Machado needs to start every day next year he is a guaranteed All-Star
    • Yes, send machado to the bench or minors if you're able to sign a proven 3B

So we finally have a winning team and the idea is to trade key members of it (Hardy, Davis and Johnson)? Just totally disagree with this notion, think you look to add to the team via FA

Unless your getting a TOR guy or a true MOO guy, I can't see how moving guys who were integral to the success of this team makes a lot of sense. Not saying that you do not explore options just saying that return has to be really really good to move 3 key parts of a successful team IMO

I don't think maintaining and adding to the existing team with FA's will make sense fiscally. I also don't think it's a good assumption that plugging a couple holes to the existing team will build on what we did this year. We should be using trades and free agency to improve the overall quality and potential of the team. I agree with you that we shoudn't be trading our good young prospects, but we should be looking to improve the team via trades. Since we're not trading young prospects that would involve trading players that somebody else might actually want. Because I've identified particular players as potential trade chips doesn't imply they should all be traded.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4-game debut against KC: .375/.375/1.125

Rest of season: .251/.285/.383

Ouch! Those who are ready to anoint Manny as the next Brooks or Ripken next season should take a hard, sober look at the above stats. I don't want to hear any griping and moaning on this board if Machado's OPS is sub 700 at the all star break in 2013.

Defensively, yes. Offensively, he could be a repeat of Larry Sheets...it could be the pitchers haven't figured him out yet.

I don't have the slightest idea what this means. Larry Sheets was in Rookie ball in Bluefield when he was Manny's age. Even if this is some kind of reach implying Manny could be a one-year wonder, he's barely 20. Being able to hold your own in the majors as you turn 20 is an exceptionally strong indicator that you're going to be a good hitter for a very long time.

Ouch! Those who are ready to anoint Manny as the next Brooks or Ripken next season should take a hard, sober look at the above stats. I don't want to hear any griping and moaning on this board if Machado's OPS is sub 700 at the all star break in 2013.

What? Do you have any idea what you're talking about? You know Manny's "rest of season" line is right on par with Mike Trout's 2011, right? Or that Manny had (by rWAR) the 13th-best age-19 season in MLB history in 2012, despite only playing 51 games? Manny was more valuable, per plate appearance, than Ken Griffey or Ty Cobb or Al Kaline or Mickey Mantle were at his age.

Could he OPS under .700 next year? Sure. But the odds are against it, and the odds are strong that he's going to get much better, very quickly.

If they're somehow able to acquire a guy like Headley, they should. Then sort out the other positions afterwards.

Look, a guy that had an OPS+ of 144 last year and had a WAR of around 6 can only help this team. If that means shifting the rest of the infield over a spot, you do it and don't look back.

August: .243/.260/.471

September: .273/.313/.430

I'm willing to bet that Machado improves offensively in 2013. As to how Machado specifically fit the team, the Orioles were 60-51 without him and went 33-18 after Machado arrived. I'd say he fit pretty darned well.

4-game debut against KC: .375/.375/1.125

Rest of season: .251/.285/.383

I'd bet he improves as well. Enough to be an above average offensive 3B? Still doubtful.

To me, there is no validity to cherry-picking out Machado's first four games. He had his ups and downs, like any player, and that happened to be an up. He had a .742 OPS in September and a .739 overall. I don't see any reason to think he would be more likely to be below that than above that next year. I'm definitely betting on the over, considering the steep learning curve Machado had jumping directly from AA to the majors. Plus, I've seen the guy, and I'm pretty sure I know what I saw.

By the way, it's funny that FanSince88 brought up people "ready to annoint Manny as the next Brooks or Ripken." Ripken had an OPS well under .650 in his first 200 PA, despite having played a lot of AAA ball and being a year older than Manny when he debuted. And yet, after his first 200 PA (40 in 1981, 160 in 1982) he crushed the ball to the tune of an .843 OPS in the rest of his 1982 campaign to win the rookie of the year.

Do I expect .843 from Manny next year? No, but .800 won't shock me at all.

This is the silliest thread ive ever seen on here.

Defensively hes already gold glove caliber. Offensively he has a ton of roon to grow and could easily hit 25 hrs next year and bat .280-.300

I agree with you!! Manny is our Mike Trout or Bryce Harper. The kid is going to be a superstar!

If they're somehow able to acquire a guy like Headley, they should. Then sort out the other positions afterwards.

Look, a guy that had an OPS+ of 144 last year and had a WAR of around 6 can only help this team. If that means shifting the rest of the infield over a spot, you do it and don't look back.

Sure, You can send two of Machado, Dylan Bundy, and Jon Schoop to the Padres and they will rent you Chase for a year. That does not seem wise. I suspect that we should find a different focus of our obsessions.

Uh name me a stud third baseman who is a legitimate possbility? David Wright? Longoria? Beltre? Cmon. Sometimes I think these "polls" are just filling time until February. I just used some of mine

in answering this .Stay with Manny get a second baseman and add more top pitching.

Would you like Scutaro for second?

I don't think Manny really has much to learn in the minors. Unless he starts looking shaken in his confidence and overmatched, I would keep him playing everyday. If his performance is poor enough to warrant an extended benching, I'd prefer to send him down so he can keep playing regularly, but he's certainly earned a starting position on the MLB team to open the season.

Sure, You can send two of Machado, Dylan Bundy, and Jon Schoop to the Padres and they will rent you Chase for a year. That does not seem wise. I suspect that we should find a different focus of our obsessions.

Oh, I'm not saying to do anything crazy to get him. I'm saying if the opportunity is there, if he comes at a reasonable price, you aren't losing Machado or Bundy, yeah. You acquire the talent and figure out where they fit later.

Uh name me a stud third baseman who is a legitimate possbility? David Wright? Longoria? Beltre? Cmon. Sometimes I think these "polls" are just filling time until February. I just used some of mine

in answering this .Stay with Manny get a second baseman and add more top pitching.

Mark Reyno--err, never mind.

Agree with the assessment.

Archived