Is there any truth to this? (Aroid trade rumors)

Aglets

http://keitholbermann.mlblogs.com/2012/10/17/exclusive-yanks-marlins-talk-a-rod-trade/

Olbermann alleges that the Marlins and Yanks are discussing a deal that would send ARod to Miami, while still paying most of his salary. NY may take the slumping reliever Heath Bell back in the deal.

Not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, I definitely want the Yanks to be stuck with this albatross of a contract. If they're still paying for most of it while Arod isn't on the team, is that better?

I think I'd prefer they be forced to play him until he is 42.

Much fun in that article. The Yankees only have themselves to blame for this crap. They never should of renegotiated the Ranger contract. He has not been worth it at all.

On a different note. I think ARod would probably love to go to Miami and play first base.

Not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, I definitely want the Yanks to be stuck with this albatross of a contract. If they're still paying for most of it while Arod isn't on the team, is that better? I think I'd prefer they be forced to play him until he is 42.

What Olbermann fails to mention (and what makes me believe there's legitimacy to this rumor) is that the Yankees gain a tremendous financial benefit by dealing A-Rod even if they eat the full contract. Trading A-Rod while eating his full contract sounds somewhat moronic because Olberman omitted (or didn't understand) the greatest benefit to the Yankees.

The Yankees must pay a luxury tax of 40% of the amount their payroll exceeds the "salary cap" - which is around $180 million. They will be well over this amount even without A-Rod's contract. When you cash out another team in a trade, that money doesn't go towards the cap. Thus, even if the Yankees eat the full $114 million left on A-Rod's contract, it still saves them approximately $45.6 million they would have otherwise needed to pay in luxury tax.

So as Oriole fans, the question comes down to whether we believe A-Rod will be worth $45.6 million over the next 5 years. If not, then we want the Yankees to keep him. If so, then we want them to deal him.

What Olbermann fails to mention (and what makes me believe there's legitimacy to this rumor) is that the Yankees gain a tremendous financial benefit by dealing A-Rod even if they eat the full contract. Trading A-Rod while eating his full contract sounds somewhat moronic because Olberman omitted (or didn't understand) the greatest benefit to the Yankees.

The Yankees must pay a luxury tax of 40% of the amount their payroll exceeds the "salary cap" - which is around $180 million. They will be well over this amount even without A-Rod's contract. When you cash out another team in a trade, that money doesn't go towards the cap. Thus, even if the Yankees eat the full $114 million left on A-Rod's contract, it still saves them approximately $45.6 million they would have otherwise needed to pay in luxury tax.

So as Oriole fans, the question comes down to whether we believe A-Rod will be worth $45.6 million over the next 5 years. If not, then we want the Yankees to keep him. If so, then we want them to deal him.

Not that we would have anything to worry about, but would it then count against the cap of the team acquiring him?

Interesting sidenote from that. Quote from Cashman: "I certainly have not had any discussions with any GMs other than the pregame meetings with Dan Duquette with the Orioles, with the umpires and then with Dave Dombrowski (of the Tigers)."

I didn't know the GMs had a formal meeting before a series. That's just for the playoffs I assume...

Not that we would have anything to worry about, but would it then count against the cap of the team acquiring him?

Yes, his salary would count against the Marlins payroll. Like when Texas paid most of Millwood's salary but it appeared on our ledger.

Interesting sidenote from that. Quote from Cashman: "I certainly have not had any discussions with any GMs other than the pregame meetings with Dan Duquette with the Orioles, with the umpires and then with Dave Dombrowski (of the Tigers)."

I didn't know the GMs had a formal meeting before a series. That's just for the playoffs I assume...

Yes, his salary would count against the Marlins payroll. Like when Texas paid most of Millwood's salary but it appeared on our ledger.

Assuming this is correct, this makes a lot of sense for the Yankees brass. The salary would count against the Marlins and the Yanks would not have to worry about the luxury tax from Rodriguez' salary. What bothers me about this is that yet another team will be bailing out a poor decision by the Yankees. I want the Yanks to be stuck with all of those had to have free guys that will handicap them for years.

Uh, he has a full NTC and wants to end his career in NY. Pointless article.

Sounds to me like he'd accept a trade. In today's NY Post:

Yesterday, though, he did not offer the same inflexible position. Asked if he wanted to stay a Yankee, he did not say yes, but merely that, ?I love this organization? and that his ?focus? was on winning last night?s game. Unlike the past, Rodriguez refused to eliminate all possibility of accepting a trade.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/signs_point_to_divorce_between_rod_8ppZmvNjOGFGRuobE3TjAI

Uh, he has a full NTC and wants to end his career in NY. Pointless article.

Far from pointless.

If there's one thing we can say we know for sure about Aroid it's that the only thing that truly matters in his life is himself. So..........given the choice between staying in NY and being hated by millions (should his performance continue to decline) or going to Miami for a fresh start.......you'd better believe he'd accept a trade.

Archived