Tracking O's Minor League Offseason Moves - 2013

Oldorioles

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://twitter.com/Recchia1

The Orioles have signed Mike Recchia out of the Frontier League, per his Twitter.

http://www.wcthunderbolts.com/pressbox/press/index.html?article_id=1020

Mike Recchia, the 2012 Frontier League’s recipient of the Brian Tollberg Award for “Pitcher of the Year” adds another award to his resume. Recchia was recently named a Baseball America Independent League All-Star. Mike was also named a 2012 Frontier League Post-Season All-Star as a starting pitcher.

Recchia receives his award after setting the Frontier League records this season for shutouts (five) and strikeouts (177). The former record had stood for nine years and the latter eclipsed the mark established by ThunderBolt Dustin Williams just last year. At one point in August, Recchia led the Frontier League in all three Triple Crown categories, wins, ERA and strikeouts. He finshed second on the season in both ERA (2.51) and wins (11) behind Gateway's Tim Brown. Seven times this season, the Crestwood native reached double-digit strikeouts with his high coming on July 2, when he fanned 16 Evansville Otters in a 2-0 win.

Recchia put together one of the most dominant seasons in the league’s 20-year history, leading the league with six complete games. He twice had scoreless streaks reach 26 innings and to go along with his five shutouts, he entered the ninth inning without allowing a run two other times.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4338041

An Eastern Illinois product, Recchia began his professional career in 2010, signing as an undrafted free agent with the New York Yankees. He spent the remainder of the 2010 season as a teammate of Windy City pitcher Matt Jernstad with low-A Staten Island, where he posted a 4.93 ERA in 22 relief appearances.

2011 was the breakout year for the 22-year-old hurler. After a solid start with Staten Island, in which he had a 3.00 ERA in nine appearances, he was brought up to Class A Charleston, where he thrived the rest of the season. In 22 games with the RiverDogs, he went 3-1 with an ERA of just 2.33. Recchia was particularly impressive after the All-Star break. In his 11 second-half appearances, he accrued all of his wins while allowing just six earned runs in 28.2 innings, a 1.88 ERA. During that time he struck out 23 men and walked just three, posting a near incredible 0.77 WHIP.

Prior to his professional career, Recchia was the ace of the Eastern Illinois staff. His sophomore season in 2009 was particularly impressive, as he went 8-2, the sixth highest win total in EIU history, while striking out 62 in 65.2 innings over 13 games (12 starts). His ERA was 3.02, second best in the Ohio Valley Conference and 45th in the country.

Over the course of his three-year collegiate career, Recchia went 16-9 with a 4.20 ERA in 50 games (32 starts). He had two complete games as a starter and two saves as a reliever.

He is a Yankee hater:

“Do you have a gun? I’d like to shoot myself now.”

“No,” I responded. “I’m guessing you want to go home?”

He laughed and said, “Yes. We’ve been here for way too long.”

No argument from me. I wanted to leave, too.

He continued, “Can you get me a beer?”

I laughed and said, “If I could I definitely would. And I would have a drink with you, since technically you are a Yankee and I am a huge Yankee fan.”

Here’s when it happened.

“I F-(expletive) HATE the Yankees,” he said.

“But…you play for them,” I responded.

“Yeah, but not by choice,” he said.

Wow. I laughed pretty hard when he said that. A player on a team of baby Yankees hates the adult Yankees. I just found it rather ironic and it was quite interesting to me.

It made for good conversation, at least.

The Yankees cut him on January 5, 2012, for no apparent reason, but maybe for the comments he made above.

Roch said this on 12/10:

Outfielder Scott Beerer, who appeared in 18 games with Norfolk this year, is expected to retire rather than attempt to play in 2013. Beerer, signed as a minor league free agent last winter while continuing to make the transition from pitcher to position player, broke the hamate bone in his left wrist and underwent surgery on May 4. He reinjured the wrist while rehabbing in Sarasota, and the continuing discomfort has likely brought an end to his baseball career."

Also, we signed some guys:

1B Travis Ishikawa

OF Adam Greenberg

LHP Daniel Schlereth

LHP Zach Braddock

So, big picture, we have brought in 29 guys on MiL contracts and jettisoned 13, with another 18 who are MiL free agents right now. It seems like that's quite a lot of turnover. I remember SoxHotCorner predicted when Duqette arrived that he would get rid of a lot of guys and bring in "his guys."

So, big picture, we have brought in 29 guys on MiL contracts and jettisoned 13, with another 18 who are MiL free agents right now. It seems like that's quite a lot of turnover. I remember SoxHotCorner predicted when Duqette arrived that he would get rid of a lot of guys and bring in "his guys."

I think there is some merit to that. MacPhail and GMs prior to him held onto a lot of guys for, what I felt, was too long. A lot of wishing for things to pan out with the players you have.

Dan Duquette appears to think "Yeah, we spent a lot on Rowell, but there are 100 other guys who are already better than Rowell; let's look at them". The whole throw spaghetti against the wall and see what sticks method. It's hard to argue with his methodology; he's turned guys like Miguel Gonzalez, Nate McLouth, Darren O'Day, and Pat Neshek (amongst others) from scrap heap players to valued additions to the club. I'm excited to see if a change of scenery will give us something with Robinson, Navarro and Valencia.

Archived