Orioles must be aggresive this offseason

tim299

The Orioles season was great, but this offseason they must prove to us that they are ready to commit to winning for years to come.

This team needs to sure up holes in the line up. I would love to see a line-up that was more like this next season...

1. Michael Bourn CF

2. Kyle Seager 2B

3. Josh Hamilton RF/DH

4. Adam Jones LF

5. Nick Markakis DH/RF

6. Chris Davis 1B

7. Matt Wieters C

8. Manny Machado 3B

9. J.J. Hardy SS

Pitching

1. Kyle Lohse

2. Jason Hammel

3. Wei-Yin Chen

4. Miguel Gonzales

5. Dylan Bundy

Long Relief -- O'Day

Set up-- Tommy Hunter

Closer Jim Johnson

There is plenty we can do to trade for Seager who would put up big numbers here and move him back to second base. Bourn would be worth every penny and be the CF we need and the lead-off hitter we have been waiting for. Josh Hamilton is a great fit for Baltimore and would also put up huge numbers here. Kyle Lohse would also be a great fit and be an innings eater. We need that bad. Tommy Hunter would be a great step up to the set-up role setting the table as a power pitcher follwed with the strong closing of Johnson.

These are the moves I would love to see the Orioles do. The line-up would be sick and they would compete well against what will no doubt be a much stronger AL East next season. While this season was a great one, with the line-up they had and the lack of a true number one pitcher, it cost them in the playoffs. Also, Buck has to be more willing to stick with a pitcher for longer in a game. Do I expect Angelos and CO. to spend this kind of money? NO!!! But I am only dreaming. If something like this happened it would be proff to the fans they were willing to put a winner on the field everyday.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just curious - why do you think the Mariners would be willing to trade Seager? What is their incentive, without some team overpaying to get his services? If it takes overpaying, why should the Orioles do so? What would be the surplus inventory that the Orioles have that the Mariners would want?

As I said, just curious your thinking on this.

As I said I am only dreaming they would do this. I know they won't. Next season we will get the same cheap team that played over their heads this season and they will come back to reality. As for Adam Jones, he is the laziest outfielder alive. If I was the manager and he ever had a piece of gum in his mouth again, I would bench him. Then he could cry all he wanted. This is about team, and winning. Jones would fit great in LF and he would have to understand how bad this team is lacking true lead off hitting. If he doesn't, then he is not a team player. No matter what he will still be overpaid and still playing in the outfield. And for Seager, I would way overpay to get him. This is a guy that is great defensively and offensively. Playing in Seattle is killing him and i don't care how far they move the fences in. But in the end, like I said, I expect The Orioles to put out the same product claiming it was a winning formula not to be messed with (we are cheap and not spending any more money). As for saying they do not have the budget to have that kind of team, sure they do. It is about getting those people in the seats. 30-50 at mid-season sure is not going to do that.

As I said I am only dreaming they would do this. I know they won't. Next season we will get the same cheap team that played over their heads this season and they will come back to reality. As for Adam Jones, he is the laziest outfielder alive. If I was the manager and he ever had a piece of gum in his mouth again, I would bench him. Then he could cry all he wanted. This is about team, and winning. Jones would fit great in LF and he would have to understand how bad this team is lacking true lead off hitting. If he doesn't, then he is not a team player. No matter what he will still be overpaid and still playing in the outfield. And for Seager, I would way overpay to get him. This is a guy that is great defensively and offensively. Playing in Seattle is killing him and i don't care how far they move the fences in. But in the end, like I said, I expect The Orioles to put out the same product claiming it was a winning formula not to be messed with (we are cheap and not spending any more money). As for saying they do not have the budget to have that kind of team, sure they do. It is about getting those people in the seats. 30-50 at mid-season sure is not going to do that.

From your OP, and your comments about Jones, I can tell that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Also, good point about how they have the money. "Sure they do." Brilliant, I never thought about it that way.

I don't know how to begin a reply to this, but I'll start by saying... If you're going to say things like this, you should back them up with some form of evidence, not just personal opinion. We know you pay $8 per beer, and PA is a money grubbing old man, but you'll have to do better than that before making proclamations about what our payroll can/should be.

Could it be higher? Probably, but your "dream scenario" is so far off base you mine as well add 2001 Barry Bonds and the 2000 version of Pedro Maritnez to the roster. Afterall, "we have the money", we could probably buy a DeLorean and go back in time.

Not trying to give you a hard time (or maybe I am), but these outlandishly over the top trade/FA threads really don't add much to the discussion around here.

Budget and resources are two very different things. I don't believe in targeting players, because that leads to over payment both in players offered and money spent. If we wish to have the best Orioles team in 2013, we need to spend our allocated budget wisely. If your argument is that Peter Angelos should pool his resources from all his avenues of wealth to inject into a revised Orioles budget, well that method has proven unsuccessful almost everywhere it has been tried (and all of Nestor apostles who have espoused it have fared poorly as well). And then you end up in bankruptcy court a year or two later.

I don't know how to begin a reply to this, but I'll start by saying... If you're going to say things like this, you should back them up with some form of evidence, not just personal opinion. We know you pay $8 per beer, and PA is a money grubbing old man, but you'll have to do better than that before making proclamations about what our payroll can/should be.

Could it be higher? Probably, but your "dream scenario" is so far off base you mine as well add 2001 Barry Bonds and the 2000 version of Pedro Maritnez to the roster. Afterall, "we have the money", we could probably buy a DeLorean and go back in time.

Not trying to give you a hard time (or maybe I am), but these outlandishly over the top trade/FA threads really don't add much to the discussion around here.

I think he was just having some fun with a "what if" type scenerio. What else is there to really talk about at this point? Why be rude with him?

And, the Orioles should be able to add to the budget.

A. Increased Attendence

B. Added playoff revenues

D. Increased sales in Merchandise

E. MASN ratings were way up

F. The new TV deal, that puts more money into everyones pocket.

They may not be able to spend 150 million, but they should be able to sustain a payroll in the 110-115 million dollar range.

This team was not as good as their record indicated this season. Do I have all the numbers to show how they could afford a 100 million dollar plus payroll? No. But, I am 100% sure this team can afford to do whatever they want to this offseason. I want to see a winning team in this town for years to come. I know with the current team, we basically got a 1989 Orioles style team that will be terrible next season. There are way to many question marks. I get so sick of hearing how teams are not in major markets and can't afford this or that. I don't believe it and won't believe it. I believe when one buys a baseball team they are looking to put out a winning product for the city and state the team represents. And I also believe if you can buy a team, you can afford hundred million dollar payrolls. Look at Detroit, they are there because they spent money. And they are far from being a big market team. Winning is about building from the inside and outside, filling the gaps to make a championship team. As with Orioles fans they say if it ain't broken don't fix it. Well, going by that motto this team will be sailing to 90 losses next season.

I think he was just having some fun with a "what if" type scenerio. What else is there to really talk about at this point? Why be rude with him?

And, the Orioles should be able to add to the budget.

A. Increased Attendence

B. Added playoff revenues

D. Increased sales in Merchandise

E. MASN ratings were way up

F. The new TV deal, that puts more money into everyones pocket.

They may not be able to spend 150 million, but they should be able to sustain a payroll in the 110-115 million dollar range.

The comments about Jones irked me.

Archived