If the O's only sign their own, how many wins in 2013?

wildcard

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I tend to think there is a enough depth that you can put together a pretty good rotation even if one or two guys were take a step back. That said adding a TOR or a solid #2 guy who you can count on for a certain level of production makes a lot of sense IMO.

Hammel

FA/Trade Starter

Chen

Gonzo

Tillman

Leaves you a ton of depth to utilize if there is a injury or if someone struggles. Also gives you flexibility come trade deadline to make a move or two if need be.

Not actually a ton at the beginning of the season. I would count on plugging Britton or Johnson into the rotation to replace a SP who was injured or ineffective. I am not that sure of Matusz and Arrieta to do that, and Wada, Bundy, and Gaussman won't be ready until around mid season.

That could be argued, if he is so "exceptional" why was he out of the game for such a long time and banned from recruiting in a country?

Look up the word "Blacklisted". If you think this does not happen you are crazier than me and that is pretty damned crazy. DD made some comments when he was with Boston that did in fact tick some people off. As to being banned from Korea, BIG DEAL! Unlike past O's front offices at least we were there looking in the first place. DD and Buck took us from 69-93 to 93-69 in just one season. I personally like our chances for '13. I feel that after a full season together DD and Buck will have us playing meaningful ball in Sept and Oct again.

Go Orioles!!

Not actually a ton at the beginning of the season. I would count on plugging Britton or Johnson into the rotation to replace a SP who was injured or ineffective. I am not that sure of Matusz and Arrieta to do that, and Wada, Bundy, and Gaussman won't be ready until around mid season.

I actually think having 7 starters to begin the season is very good depth...especially considering you'll have 2-3 more options in a couple months. It gets even better if you add on TOR (or #2 type) starter as it will push one more pitcher out of the rotation and into the depth bin. As for Matusz and Arrieta, do you really think other teams have that good of options as their 8th and 9th options?

For pitching, I don't think much action is necessary outside of pursuing a top end of the rotation starter to help stabilize the top of the rotation.

Outside of that, I'd like OBP to be the main focus.

I actually think having 7 starters to begin the season is very good depth...especially considering you'll have 2-3 more options in a couple months. It gets even better if you add on TOR (or #2 type) starter as it will push one more pitcher out of the rotation and into the depth bin. As for Matusz and Arrieta, do you really think other teams have that good of options as their 8th and 9th options?

For pitching, I don't think much action is necessary outside of pursuing a top end of the rotation starter to help stabilize the top of the rotation.

Outside of that, I'd like OBP to be the main focus.

Not unusual for 2 SP to go down. Then you have Britton and Johnson in the rotation, and no one other than Arrieta/Matusz/Hunter question marks as back up. We should get another SP preferably a TOR.

Not unusual for 2 SP to go down. Then you have Britton and Johnson in the rotation, and no one other than Arrieta/Matusz/Hunter question marks as back up. We should get another SP preferably a TOR.

I think it is very hard to know how good or bad Wada, Britton, Johnson, Matusz, Arrieta or Hunter are going to be as starters next year. If Wada is healthy he could be good or maybe not. If Matusz develops his changeup to attack righthanded hitters he could be good or not. If Britton's shoulder is healthy he could be very effective with his sinker or not. This is true for all these guys. They need something to go their way and they could be effective.

I think the most important thing is that the O's have that many options and may add Saunders as well.

I tend to think there is a enough depth that you can put together a pretty good rotation even if one or two guys were take a step back. That said adding a TOR or a solid #2 guy who you can count on for a certain level of production makes a lot of sense IMO.

Hammel

FA/Trade Starter

Chen

Gonzo

Tillman

Leaves you a ton of depth to utilize if there is a injury or if someone struggles. Also gives you flexibility come trade deadline to make a move or two if need be.

The O's need to develop Bundy and/or Gausman into their TOR starter(s). Acquiring one outside the organization is so expensive and would likely inhibit sustained success.

It wouldn't be a rational or intelligent argument, but it could definitely be argued by someone who wanted to stir things up.

wAsn't looking for a stir up but I do find that interesting. Even if he did tick a lot of people off you think someone would give him a job in some capacity if he were real interested. Hell, Ozzie found another organization that wanted his baggage quickly.

I think the O's could be an 88-90 win team, or a 72-75 win team. For the best case, they have to have a lot of players play above their head again. Some good additions, gives them more room for error.

The best case by definition can't be fewer wins than this season.

Archived