Billy Rowell Apprecia- ... ah, who cares

Barnaby Graves

Nope, as far as i've been told for a while he stayed at hotels nearby. He paid by the night at the nicer places, never got a place in the area even though he was there for quite a while. The money dried up and he started trying to stay in the club house and his car more frequently. This was definitely not just a money thing though. Even when he had money he would still do strange stuff like this. The kid was not all there. It's pretty sad actually because he definitely did not have the family support system to help him out so he was kinda thrown to the wolves and didn't do well on his own.

But what about the UnderArmour contract!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nope, as far as i've been told for a while he stayed at hotels nearby. He paid by the night at the nicer places, never got a place in the area even though he was there for quite a while. The money dried up and he started trying to stay in the club house and his car more frequently. This was definitely not just a money thing though. Even when he had money he would still do strange stuff like this. The kid was not all there. It's pretty sad actually because he definitely did not have the family support system to help him out so he was kinda thrown to the wolves and didn't do well on his own.

This is really pretty sad. It sounds like he was hitting bottom while he was in Frederick. I'm a bit surprised that the organization did not intervene when he was sleeping in the clubhouse and his car. These were some warning signs if nothing else. The kid obviously needs some help. Failed prospect or not, I wish him the best.

The O's gave Rowell a $2.1M signing bonus in 2006. Not sure what the minor league minimum salary is for 6 years, but if you add all that up I'm sure he had more money in his early 20s than most guys I know.

It always makes me cringe when I hear about people MC Hammering away their money. I could invest 2.1 million and comfortably live for the rest of my life without working another day. *cringe*

• 3 months later...
I meant swallowing his pride.

Yeah, I got you. Wasn't contradicting you.

For his sake, probably best if he just walks away from the game. If he decides to grind it out in the indy leagues, I imagine he'll just be that much more conscious about the opportunity he wasted. Although could be that's the sort of reality check he needs.

Archived