Would anyone be willing to give Melky Cabrera a 1 year deal?

Dark Helmet

The same thing??? How is Braun and Cabrera denying what they did and getting away with it the same thing? How about Clemens? Or Bonds? Give me a break. Did McGwire own up to it right away? They didn't have evidence but everyone knew he did it. There are some guys that cop to it, ARod included. And he is a jerk, but that's separate. Roberts has done great work in Baltimore that's no secret. I wasn't happy about what he did, but I think he's acquitted himself well. I think it speaks volumes that the Giants didn't have Cabrera on the WS roster when they could have.

I think the Giants deciding against Melky on the WS roster, is more about avoiding media distractions concerning it, more then about Melky himself. JMO.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another thing, I never said anyone should be BB. The sentence should be more severe so these guys think twice before doing it. Colon was happy to collect his salary and be on his way. Does anyone believe he wasn't doing the same thing when he was playing for the Yankees?

The suspension is without pay.

Please. Cabrera did the same think Ryan Braun did, his team of agents and managers just weren't as good at casting doubt as Braun's team. Guys try to get an advantage and if they get caught they avoid taking responsibility for it until they absolutely have to. Melky Cabrera is a fine citizen, their situation is identical, except that Cabrera was caught and actually punished. He served his suspension, he shouldn't be black-balled. Brian Roberts acted in his own self interest, denial would be no good as it would linger, better to just claim to have tried it once and then apologize.

I keep coming back to your post, murph. Braun was one of my favorite players but I was really disappointed with how he handled the inquiry into his use of PED's and the subsequent dismissal of charges against him on a technicality. Wasn't he acting in his own self interest? He not only denied the results he fought vigorously and then had the results overturned not because they were incorrect but because of how they were handled. He never apologized for his use of illegal substances in baseball. His denial lingers to this day. Roberts and few others that I know(Pettite, Rodriguez, etc) of have shown remorse. Clearly not everyone chooses to do so.

I think the Giants deciding against Melky on the WS roster, is more about avoiding media distractions concerning it, more then about Melky himself. JMO.

That very well may be.

The suspension is without pay.

As well it should. My problem is that now he's allowed to sign another multi million dollar contract again. If they were suspended for an entire season it might get their attention more. A full year with no pay is no small thing even to these guys.

Another thing, I never said anyone should be BB. The sentence should be more severe so these guys think twice before doing it. Colon was happy to collect his salary and be on his way. Does anyone believe he wasn't doing the same thing when he was playing for the Yankees?

The sentence should be more severe? He missed 50 games, is ostracized in the MLB community and cost himself at least $50 million in future income. The punishment is plenty severe.

I keep coming back to your post, murph. Braun was one of my favorite players but I was really disappointed with how he handled the inquiry into his use of PED's and the subsequent dismissal of charges against him on a technicality. Wasn't he acting in his own self interest? He not only denied the results he fought vigorously and then had the results overturned not because they were incorrect but because of how they were handled. He never apologized for his use of illegal substances in baseball. His denial lingers to this day. Roberts and few others that I know(Pettite, Rodriguez, etc) of have shown remorse. Clearly not everyone chooses to do so.

Legally, what could Braun apologize for? He was in the middle of a legal process. Im sure he was prohibited from speaking about it to a degree.

That very well may be.

As well it should. My problem is that now he's allowed to sign another multi million dollar contract again. If they were suspended for an entire season it might get their attention more. A full year with no pay is no small thing even to these guys.

Well, should Roberts repay the Orioles? Most likely, the performance that led to his big extension, was ped aided.

It has something to do with self interest, but its also for the team to a degree. How would the Brewers have done without him? If he couldn't get off, he'd apologize for his use and then continue on like all the others, but he could, so why should he apologize? That would only hurt his case and the Brewers as well. These guys that get caught aren't sorry for taking the drugs, but for getting caught. They know what the risks and rewards are, and then they take their gamble.

I'd be ok with giving Melky a cheap 1 year deal, but not around the $8M suggested around places.

That very well may be.

Melky Cabrera's positive test cost himself tens of millions of dollars, his attention has been captured.

I would not watch the Orioles in 2013 and I'm not joking. I will not root for roiders and if we were to sign him I'd lose all respect for Duquette. Thankfully I'm 99.9% positive Buck and Duquette want absolutely nothing to do with Cabrera.

Also, DD did atleast entertain the idea of bringing in Manny Ramirez last year.

The sentence should be more severe? He missed 50 games, is ostracized in the MLB community and cost himself at least $50 million in future income. The punishment is plenty severe.
Melky Cabrera's positive test cost himself tens of millions of dollars, his attention has been captured.

I disagree. He'll very likely sign another contract worth millions. Where are you getting $50 mil? The 50 game suspension cost him that much in future income? Seems like you are placing a lot a value on a guy who wasn't thought of very highly before he went off with KC and SF. Oh yeah, and before he got caught.

I disagree. He'll very likely sign another contract worth millions. Where are you getting $50 mil? The 50 game suspension cost him that much in future income? Seems like you are placing a lot a value on a guy who wasn't thought of very highly before he went off with KC and SF. Oh yeah, and before he got caught.

He was well on his way to a batting title in 2012. He would've most certainly gotten a 5/50 million contract.

Archived