ESPN Trade Proposal: Hardy to Cards for RHP Joe Kelly and RHP Maikel Cleto

Migrant Redbird

Thread at a Cardinals forum

Link to ESPN Insider article purportedly suggesting the trade

I don't have an Insider subscription so I can't verify what's in the article. On the surface, the trade doesn't make much sense to me. Yes, I'd like to have Hardy on the Cards, but I'd think it would take something more -- like Oscar Taveras -- to entice Baltimore into the deal. (Taveras, by the way, is "untouchable, kind of like Colby Rasmus 3-4 years ago.)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the blurb:

1. St. Louis Cardinals trade RHP Joe Kelly and RHP Maikel Cleto to the Baltimore Orioles for SS J.J. Hardy.

Celebrated throughout the NLDS, Pete Kozma played so poorly during the NLCS that even the much-denigrated Brooks Conrad had to feel bad for him. The Cardinals haven't had a good shortstop since they traded Brendan Ryan to the Mariners following the 2010 season for reliever Cleto, and they clearly need more than what Kozma gave them. Rafael Furcal might be ready to go next April, but do you really want to bet on that? In the past five seasons, Furcal has played in 491 games, or just 61 percent of the total games.

Hardy, who took home another Gold Glove, isn't a player the Orioles need to move, but Manny Machado is the future at short, and with this deal, the Orioles get to keep loading up on pitching in Kelly and Cleto, both of whom should be able to make an impact at the major league level in 2013.

Thread at a Cardinals forum

Link to ESPN Insider article purportedly suggesting the trade

I don't have an Insider subscription so I can't verify what's in the article. On the surface, the trade doesn't make much sense to me. Yes, I'd like to have Hardy on the Cards, but I'd think it would take something more -- like Oscar Taveras -- to entice Baltimore into the deal. (Taveras, by the way, is "untouchable, kind of like Colby Rasmus 3-4 years ago.)

Only way this happens is if we trade for a 3B like Headley but I agree this is a long shot at best especially after a down offensive year when his value was dimished a little

DON'T YOU KNOW!?!? WE CAN GET Chase Headley FOR BRIAN MATUSZ, JAKE ARRIETA, AND A BUCKET OF GUM!!

We could have before he had a great 2nd half....I know you can't believe everything you hear but this was the specualtion around the tread deadline

Hardy isn't going anywhere folks, even if he should. Buck loves him, DD loves him, and recently said in an interview with Norris and Ford that he felt the left side of the infield was taken care of for the next couple of years. Let's not forget what a blackhole 3B was, and the infield defense as a whole with the exception of Hardy, prior to Machado coming up and Reynolds going over to 1B. Reynolds is no longer a given to return leaving only Chris Davis for 1B and we know he was shaky over there defensively, and everyone wants to trade JJ and essentially open that huge whole at 3B all over again. We don't have anyone to replace him. It aint happening.

Hardy isn't going anywhere folks, even if he should. Buck loves him, DD loves him, and recently said in an interview with Norris and Ford that he felt the left side of the infield was taken care of for the next couple of years. Let's not forget what a blackhole 3B was, and the infield defense as a whole with the exception of Hardy, prior to Machado coming up and Reynolds going over to 1B. Reynolds is no longer a given to return leaving only Chris Davis for 1B and we know he was shaky over there defensively, and everyone wants to trade JJ and essentially open that huge whole at 3B all over again. We don't have anyone to replace him. It aint happening.

What??? You don't wanna see the Meat back at 3rd? He and Manny seemed about the same defensively!

Archived