Just an interesting article(Hamilton)

sevastras

Here's the thing: if out will take the $25mil minimum most assume to land him and then you want Reynolds back, too, then that's a lot of money tied up in two players. That also assumes the team gives Reynolds two years at a minimum of $7.5mil. Am I assuming too much?;)

I can't see them going crazy giving Reynolds two years and going after Hamilton.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the thing: if out will take the $25mil minimum most assume to land him and then you want Reynolds back, too, then that's a lot of money tied up in two players. That also assumes the team gives Reynolds two years at a minimum of $7.5mil. Am I assuming too much?;)

I can't see them going crazy giving Reynolds two years and going after Hamilton.

Exacto. Too much $$....I think the article is right - in that if we bring Hamilton in than that means Reynolds is out and Davis at 1b. So really, we're substituting good defense with sub-par defense at 1st (IMO), sticking Hamilton in at LF or CF with good defense at a happy BA...and no Mclouth. McLouth I'm iffy on....I can see potential value with him. But those awful few years before performing well in 2 months in Baltimore makes it sort of confusing. We could keep McLouth as a fourth outfielder, but I think he could and would get a better offer somewhere else that would allow him to play daily.

I honestly don't see DD bringing Hamilton in. But, if it happened....I'm sure I could learn to like it.

He hits well at OP. We are almost there........and he would put us over like Frank Robinson did years ago. He has a few of his former Ranger buddies on the team already. He can play in LF or CF and DH. I don't think it's going to take the amount many on here are talking about. I think we can land him for 3 years and $60 million. To play somewhere and have fans cheering.......Josh....Josh....Josh......every time he comes up would be great for him and the fans. He made $13,750,000 in 2012. From what I have read he does not live a lavish lifestyle. His agent is Michael Moye.

The Texas Rangers have made a $13.3 million qualifying offer to Josh Hamilton, ensuring them draft-pick compensation if the slugger signs with another team.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/josh-hamilton-texas-rangers-make-qualifying-offer-110212

Exacto. Too much $$....I think the article is right - in that if we bring Hamilton in than that means Reynolds is out and Davis at 1b. So really, we're substituting good defense with sub-par defense at 1st (IMO), sticking Hamilton in at LF or CF with good defense at a happy BA...and no Mclouth. McLouth I'm iffy on....I can see potential value with him. But those awful few years before performing well in 2 months in Baltimore makes it sort of confusing. We could keep McLouth as a fourth outfielder, but I think he could and would get a better offer somewhere else that would allow him to play daily.

I honestly don't see DD bringing Hamilton in. But, if it happened....I'm sure I could learn to like it.

$115 million payroll is not too much money, especially for a team that would contend year in and year out for the next 4 years for a Championship. And make no mistake about it, if we brought Hamilton to this core we would be in the thick of it every single year for the length of his contract.

And that is they way top number end assuming everyone is back and Hamilton gets $25 million. I highly doubt anyone is paying $25 million a year for a 32 year old Hamilton, when a 27 year old Fielder only got 21.4 last year. Matter of fact I would bet a lot of money against it.

What justification does Hamilton have exactly to best that by about 20%? None. No idea where these crazy ridiculous numbers for him are coming from, it isn't happening. He will get $20 per year tops and really shouldn't even get that considering his age/injury history. Mostly his age.

So now we are at $110 million for 2013 (with Hamilton at 20), with a ton of money coming off the books in 2014 and beyond with very few major commitments. Again, for a perennial contender that will draw at least 2.5-2.8 million every year.

This isn't some crazy idea that has no feasibility, unless our owner wants to continue to cry poor despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. It actually would make a ton of sense, if we really want to put winning ahead of the bottom line.

You build on the little goodwill you earned this year to start the fans coming back regularly, show them you are serious and watch the snowball effect start to roll and get bigger with even more winning and excitement.

not directly, no. But in that it would free up $$ yes.

No. It has nothing to do with whether they will bring him back. At all. Dollars are not freed up. It was a certainty that his option would be declined and if they intended to bring him back it would be via arbitration. Considering the writer doesn't mention arbitration eligibility, this article is wholly without merit.

No. It has nothing to do with whether they will bring him back. At all. Dollars are not freed up. It was a certainty that his option would be declined and if they intended to bring him back it would be via arbitration. Considering the writer doesn't mention arbitration eligibility, this article is wholly without merit.

it would tie up money with both players, that's essentially what I meant. One doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with the other, but I'm not seeing O's go after reynolds and then Hamilton. just my opinion.

$115 million payroll is not too much money, especially for a team that would contend year in and year out for the next 4 years for a Championship. And make no mistake about it, if we brought Hamilton to this core we would be in the thick of it every single year for the length of his contract.

And that is they way top number end assuming everyone is back and Hamilton gets $25 million. I highly doubt anyone is paying $25 million a year for a 32 year old Hamilton, when a 27 year old Fielder only got 21.4 last year. Matter of fact I would bet a lot of money against it.

What justification does Hamilton have exactly to best that by about 20%? None. No idea where these crazy ridiculous numbers for him are coming from, it isn't happening. He will get $20 per year tops and really shouldn't even get that considering his age/injury history. Mostly his age.

So now we are at $110 million for 2013 (with Hamilton at 20), with a ton of money coming off the books in 2014 and beyond with very few major commitments. Again, for a perennial contender that will draw at least 2.5-2.8 million every year.

This isn't some crazy idea that has no feasibility, unless our owner wants to continue to cry poor despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. It actually would make a ton of sense, if we really want to put winning ahead of the bottom line.

You build on the little goodwill you earned this year to start the fans coming back regularly, show them you are serious and watch the snowball effect start to roll and get bigger with even more winning and excitement.

oh I agree, I just question whether a significant payroll increase will actually happen. I think not, but I'l like to be wrong.

after all, it's not my money.

it would tie up money with both players, that's essentially what I meant. One doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with the other, but I'm not seeing O's go after reynolds and then Hamilton. just my opinion.

Focus on what I am saying. The crux of the article is that because the Orioles have declined Reynolds option, they have money available to sign Hamilton. That is a demonstrably false statement because the Orioles declining Reynolds's option has nothing to do with whether they will bring Reynolds back. If the Orioles had announced that they were not bringing Reynolds back (by declining to offer him arbitration), and thus may have money available to sign Hamilton, then the article would have validity.

Focus on what I am saying. The crux of the article is that because the Orioles have declined Reynolds option, they have money available to sign Hamilton. That is a demonstrably false statement because the Orioles declining Reynolds's option has nothing to do with whether they will bring Reynolds back. If the Orioles had announced that they were not bringing Reynolds back (by declining to offer him arbitration), and thus may have money available to sign Hamilton, then the article would have validity.

Agreed

The thing that concerns me most about Hamilton is that he was terrible at the end of the year. There was talk of an unspecified eye problem. What was it? Has it been cured? Was he better the last week of the season or did he talk his way onto the lineup? Whatever the contract turns out to be, it's a lot of money to pay someone who may not be healthy. He's not as good a player, but Swisher seems like a safer bet. Plus, he plays the OF and 1B and should cost less.

You know, he's got his problems and that really turns me off to him, but when I stop and think about it I think Buck is the perfect manager for him. I could see it working out for Hamilton and the Orioles.

Hey, fellas. I neg repped this guy accidentally. I meant to pos rep him/her. Can someone make up for it please?

Edit: Page 1

Archived