Qualifying Offers From the Evil Empire

25 Nuggets

Yankees Make Qualifying Offers to Kuroda, Soriano, Swisher

The biggest news I see here is that it appears they are NOT bringing Russell Martin back. Add to that, Soriano and Swisher are likely to decline their offers and the Yanks will have a good number of holes (and a lot of HRs) to fill on the 25 man roster. Getting Kuroda back is vital for them.

It pisses me off that they have the money to make the qualifying offers with no sweat off their backs. I think Kuroda comes back, but Swisher and Soriano could net them 2 picks when other teams aren't able to be as careless with their offers.

Just a first glance, but this new qualifying system really seems to favor a team like the MFY.

It pisses me off that they have the money to make the qualifying offers with no sweat off their backs. I think Kuroda comes back, but Swisher and Soriano could net them 2 picks when other teams aren't able to be as careless with their offers.

Just a first glance, but this new qualifying system really seems to favor a team like the MFY.

And the rich get richer...

To be fair, I think it's easy to make a qualifying offer to those three.

Kuroda, they actually want back and the $13.3 Mil. offer isn't that big of a bump from what he was making last year ($10 Mil.) Meanwhile, both Soriano and Swisher are likely to decline their offers; especially Soriano. Boras has said he's looking for a 4 year deal for Soriano, but even if he decides to stay w/ the Yankee's (for whatever reason), the $13.3 Mil. is just under the $14 Mil. he would have made w/ NY next year anyway. Tack on the $1.5 Mil. he got for opting out of his deal, and Soriano would only be making another $800k more than he would have had he stayed under his old contract. Still a good chunk of money, but next to nothing in MLB terms.

I think it's more telling that they didn't make an offer to Russell Martin. He "only" made $7.5 Mil. last year, so a qualifying offer would have almost doubled his salary. Even if he hated NY, there's no way he'd turn that down. What team in their right mind would guarantee him over $13 Mil. and give up a 1st round pick?

Kuroda is very open to a 1 year deal with the Yankees. At some point he wants to return to Japan to pitch.

Soriano is gone although Boras wants the Yankees to sign him. Having Rivera back as the closer has Soriano looking for a new home.

Swisher is as good as gone. NY is praying that some other team signs him.

Archived