Should the Orioles trade some of their pitching this off season?

Diehard_O's_Fan

Steve Melewski just put up a article on masnsports.com regarding whether or not the Orioles should trade some of their pitching this off season. I think this is a darn good question and I hope Dan is willing to do it. It would not break my heart if the Orioles traded Jake Arrieta, Zach Britton or Brian Matusz. I obviously would not trade all of them this off season but would be willing to trade one or two of these guys. All of this obviously depends on whether or not Dan gets a good offer. I would not want to just give these guys away. What do you think?

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2012/11/has-the-time-come-for-the-orioles-to-trade-some-of-their-pitchers.html

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really have a problem trading any of them but trading Matusz and Arrieta almost seems pointless to me. I would imagine their value is extremely low and wouldn't help bring back much. I think the only way they are of value are as throw ins as part of a bigger trade.

Britton still has some value but he is at a low point for himself as well.

(1) Probably not. As we see almost every year, pitchers get injured. Having adequate-to-decent replacements is almost necessary. Starting guys like Arrieta, Britton, Matusz, Johnson, etc. in Norfolk so that they can be called them up when they are needed will make the Orioles better over the course of a full season. Baseball is a marathon, not a sprint; depth is necessary.

(2) What would they be traded for, and how would that help the team? None of the Orioles' "surplus" pitchers will bring back a top-tier SP, LF, or 2B/3B. No combination of Matusz/Arrieta is going to get Chase Headley, David Wright, or Felix Hernandez, unless the Orioles add prospects as well (probably numerous, and probably including at least one of Bundy, Gausman, Schoop). I suppose you could trade Britton et al. for prospects, but that will hurt the Orioles' chances in 2013, and unless some prospects coming back are top-100, I don't think it's really worth it.

(3) Last time we traded former top pitching prospects, we got back Felix Pie and Robert Andino. I don't think those are the guys who this team needs right now.

(3) Last time we traded former top pitching prospects, we got back Felix Pie and Robert Andino. I don't think those are the guys who this team needs right now.

Those trades involved Hayden Penn and Garrett Olson. I think we got alot more value out of Andino and Pie than the Cubs/Marlins got out of Penn and Olson.

It would be a poor idea to sell low on our young guys. If someone makes a really good offer for Tillman or Hammel, then maybe I could see moving some folks. Another thing to remember, DD wouldn't trade Matusz and Arrieta for Heafley, so this is probably not a likely scenario.

Those trades involved Hayden Penn and Garrett Olson. I think we got alot more value out of Andino and Pie than the Cubs/Marlins got out of Penn and Olson.

Absolutely, those were good trades for the Orioles at that time. But I don't think adding Andino (or another Andino) and Pie to the 2013 Orioles will help them, either to contend in 2013 or longer-term.

Absolutely, those were good trades for the Orioles at that time. But I don't think adding Andino (or another Andino) and Pie to the 2013 Orioles will help them, either to contend in 2013 or longer-term.

Very true. But I do think people need to have a more realistic expectation about the value of our prospects. It's not like we're talking about 20 - 21 year old guys that only have a couple of ML innings. Tillman, Arrietta and Matusz are all in their mid to late 20's (25, 27 and 26 next year) with multiple years of ML experience. Tillman has 266 IP while Arrieta has 334 IP and Matusz 368 IP. If the end of last season is any indication, Mastusz really shouldn't even be considered a SP anymore seeing as how he finished the year in the bullpen. For his career, hitters are hitting .285 against him.

, h

While it's certainly too early to call any of them busts, I definitely think people here need to temper their expectations of their 'value'. None of these guys (either by themselves or some combination there of) are bringing back a top player. Not without including a real prospect like a Bundy, Machacho or, to a lesser extent, someone like Schoop, Delmonico, etc. Tillman is your best bet to have the most value but that's only because of his great 2nd half this year. Before that, he's had 2 different seasons where hitters basically hit .300 against him. Last year was the 1st time he's had an ERA under 5.40, first time his WHIP was under 1.50, and he's still well under 1 K per inning.

The plus regarding Arrieta, Matusz, and Britton is that they have options. Having pitchers with ML experience hanging out at Norfolk for when Hammels knee goes out or Gonzalez proves to be a one-hit wonder or Tillman resorts back to career averages is key in having a winning season. There was a point where the O's absolutely had to claim players like JoJo Reyes just to scrap by and I'm sure DD wants to avoid that scenerio at all costs.

Personally, I'd like to see what a pitcher like Hammel could net. He had a good year and we could sell high...same goes for JJohnson. Saves makes a player look really good...both through arbitration and trade value. Only one of those could benefit a mid market team like the Orioles with other players (ex Markakis, Jones, Wieters) getting more and more expensive and it's not the arbitration process.

Isn't this when someone proposes a Steve Johnson for Bryce Harper or Mike Trout level of talent or are we too early into the offseason for fantasy-land trades?

We're not getting impact talent for any of our pitchers not named Bundy-Gausman. That's a lock. Maybe a salary dump kind of situation.

But I believe DD is going to bring an even better team to the table next year. I've got uber- confidence in him after being a Duq-hater when he was brought on.

Isn't this when someone proposes a Steve Johnson for Bryce Harper or Mike Trout level of talent or are we too early into the offseason for fantasy-land trades?

We're not getting impact talent for any of our pitchers not named Bundy-Gausman. That's a lock. Maybe a salary dump kind of situation.

But I believe DD is going to bring an even better team to the table next year. I've got uber- confidence in him after being a Duq-hater when he was brought on.

Yes ...But he needs to bring in a star or two from somewhere...Shopping in the bargain bin will only get this team so far.

You know better. It's Steve AND Chris Tillman for Bryce or Mike.

Or for Alfonso Soriano. You know. Because we gotta have that bat.

Steve Melewski just put up a article on masnsports.com regarding whether or not the Orioles should trade some of their pitching this off season. I think this is a darn good question and I hope Dan is willing to do it. It would not break my heart if the Orioles traded Jake Arrieta' date=' Zach Britton or Brian Matusz. I obviously would not trade all of them this off season but would be willing to trade one or two of these guys. All of this obviously depends on whether or not Dan gets a good offer. I would not want to just give these guys away. What do you think?

Here is the link to the article:

[url']http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2012/11/has-the-time-come-for-the-orioles-to-trade-some-of-their-pitchers.html[/url]

In a word ....Yes ... Needs to be a real difference maker as stated by others.

Archived