Should the Orioles trade some of their pitching this off season?

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know better. It's Steve AND Chris Tillman for Bryce or Mike.

Or for Alfonso Soriano. You know. Because we gotta have that bat.

Nah, we don't need Soriano. Reimold will put up similar numbers for a fraction of the cost. Of course, that depends on one small factor. He does something he hasn't been able to do yet for the Orioles. He actually makes it through a full season.

But if not, he will have a .350 OBP, and be worth 3 WAR in the 30-40 games he does play in ;). Who needs Hamilton.

Nah, we don't need Soriano. Reimold will put up similar numbers for a fraction of the cost. Of course, that depends on one small factor. He does something he hasn't been able to do yet for the Orioles. He actually makes it through a full season.

But if not, he will have a .350 OBP, and be worth 3 WAR in the 30-40 games he does play in ;). Who needs Hamilton.

:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

Yeah, that's about all we can do. However, with an injury like Reimold has, I think it's unlikely. Even if he's just a DH, thats hard on the neck. I personally think Reimold is done. At 29, his ability to recover and avoid injuries, is only going to get worst at this stage.

Depending on who is traded and what we are getting I'd say to look at it. But trading our starters just because we "have too many" would be asinine.

Steve Johnsons trade value may never be higher. Brian Matusz still has trade value. If we can get a TRUE impact bat, then I'd say to look into it.

Here is my problem. To get an impact bat we are really going to need to open up our bank. I'm talking about Matusz, Britton, Schoop +. Making that deal would scare me. And I don't think that having Matusz, Arrieta, Britton, Johnson, andl Bundy in our AAA is a bad thing. I love having that depth at Norfolk.

Depending on who is traded and what we are getting I'd say to look at it. But trading our starters just because we "have too many" would be asinine.

Steve Johnsons trade value may never be higher. Brian Matusz still has trade value. If we can get a TRUE impact bat, then I'd say to look into it.

Here is my problem. To get an impact bat we are really going to need to open up our bank. I'm talking about Matusz, Britton, Schoop +. Making that deal would scare me. And I don't think that having Matusz, Arrieta, Britton, Johnson, andl Bundy in our AAA is a bad thing. I love having that depth at Norfolk.

I think trading for impact players will be tougher than ever this winter. The extra WC, kept a lot of teams in contention. That may make a lot of teams, think they can compete, thus keeping their players.

To add, a team like AZ might be willing to trade Upton for a Britton, Johnson, Hoes, Schoop type package. If, they are as eager to get rid of Upton as it's been said by some.

Reimold will put up similar numbers for a fraction of the cost. Of course, that depends on one small factor. He does something he hasn't been able to do yet for the Orioles. He actually makes it through a full season.

To be fair, injuries have really only cost Reimold one season (2012).

In 2009, he was called up in May and was shut down in late September with an achilles issue, but nearly played a full season between the two levels. In 2010 he was sent down to Norfolk in May (in a demotion that was a bit premature in my opinion), played regularly in AAA, and returned to the O's in September (530 PA's between both levels). He started 2011 in the minors before being promoted in may and playing well (.781 OPS) in Baltimore. Reimold had 465 PA's between Norfolk and Baltimore in 2011. In 2012 he didn't play after April with neck issues. So really, he hasn't been that injury prone.

I am worried about this current injury, especially with Roch reporting the other day that his neck is not fully healed after surgery. However, prior to this injury he wasn't the injury prone player some make him out to be. He got a relatively late start in the majors and spent time in the minors after being called up, but none of it was really injury driven.

In 2009, he was called up in May and was shut down in late September with an achilles issue, but nearly played a full season between the two levels. In 2010 he was sent down to Norfolk in May (in a demotion that was a bit premature in my opinion), played regularly in AAA, and returned to the O's in September (530 PA's between both levels). He started 2011 in the minors before being promoted in may and playing well (.781 OPS) in Baltimore. Reimold had 465 PA's between Norfolk and Baltimore in 2011. In 2012 he didn't play after April with neck issues. So really, he hasn't been that injury prone.

I am worried about this current injury, especially with Roch reporting the other day that his neck is not fully healed after surgery. However, prior to this injury he wasn't the injury prone player some make him out to be. He got a relatively late start in the majors and spent time in the minors after being called up, but none of it was really injury driven.

Not sure who you been watching but Nolan Reimold has spent a lot of time either on the DL or not able to play for various knick knack injuries. Lets not even mention the fact that Buck thought so much of Reimold that he could not even wrestle the full time starting gig from Felix Pie, he was splitting time with him. Reality is that the guy has played in 39,87 and 16 games respectively over the past 3 years for various reasons. Not a great track record.

Handing LF to McLouth and Reimold is just stupid and begging for us all to be complaining when Steve Pearce, Lew Ford and insert name of reject LF here are playing the position next year. Keep one and sign a more consistent productive OF who has a better track record in terms of injuries. I know Nate and Nolan are like pet players for some on here but combined the two guys have not been healthy enough to even play in 45% of the games possible over the past 3 years....that's the kind of stats you do not ignore and I doubt that Buck or DD do.

Not sure who you been watching but Nolan Reimold has spent a lot of time either on the DL or not able to play for various knick knack injuries. Lets not even mention the fact that Buck thought so much of Reimold that he could not even wrestle the full time starting gig from Felix Pie, he was splitting time with him. Reality is that the guy has played in 39,87 and 16 games respectively over the past 3 years for various reasons. Not a great track record.

Handing LF to McLouth and Reimold is just stupid and begging for us all to be complaining when Steve Pearce, Lew Ford and insert name of reject LF here are playing the position next year. Keep one and sign a more consistent productive OF who has a better track record in terms of injuries. I know Nate and Nolan are like pet players for some on here but combined the two guys have not been healthy enough to even play in 45% of the games possible over the past 3 years....that's the kind of stats you do not ignore and I doubt that Buck or DD do.

You are just looking at his games in the Majors. He spent time in the minors in 2009, 2010, and 2011, which I already detailed in my above post. From 2009 - 2011 Reimold played in 135, 133, and 126 games, respectively, between Baltimore and Norfolk. In the Majors, he only missed time due to injuries in 2009 (achilles) prior to 2012. We can debate the reasons why he spent the time in Norfolk that he did, but I was responding specifically to the claim that he has missed a lot of time due to injuries which has simply not been true prior to his current injury. Like I also said, I have my worries on how well he is going to recover from the neck/back issues he is currently dealing with but the claim that Reimold has missed most of the past four seasons because of injuries simply isn't true.

Not sure I would classify McLouth as big injury risk either. He collided with Jason Heyward in 2010, spent some time on the DL as a result, and then was demoted to AAA but he still played in 120 games between both places. He had a few different injury issues in 2011 that cost him significant playing time. That was the only year he lost a ton of time form injuries.

The bottom line is neither Reimold or McLouth have been as injured as some make them out to be. Reimold's current injury is a concern for next season and beyond. We can also debate whether or not relying on those two in LF in 2013 is a good decision based on production, but the 45% playing time claim just isn't correct. Assuming a 162 game season (which is probably not entirely accurate since both spent time in AAA the last three years where the seasons are shorter), they've played in 62% of the possible games at any level. Not all of that is due to injury either as neither player was an everyday player each of the last three seasons.

Yeah, that's about all we can do. However, with an injury like Reimold has, I think it's unlikely. Even if he's just a DH, thats hard on the neck. I personally think Reimold is done. At 29, his ability to recover and avoid injuries, is only going to get worst at this stage.

I was actually joking somewhat with the prayer smileys....it's the same injury Peyton Manning recovered from and he's playing football.:eek:

I really feel the post below is fairly accurate.

So, even though it's the same injury Manning had, perhaps he isn't healing quite as well as Manning did or he just needs more time. It might be smart in any case to limit his defensive innings.

So, even though it's the same injury Manning had, perhaps he isn't healing quite as well as Manning did or he just needs more time. It might be smart in any case to limit his defensive innings.

It's really important to understand that there are very real risks to having surgery for Reimold's condition and that everyone who has his condition suffers from a unique set of circumstances where surgery is not always the best option. Comparing him to Peyton Manning is understandable, but not necessarily pertinent.

Personally, I'd like to see what a pitcher like Hammel could net.

That's that old last place mentality creeping up again --- trade a young pitcher coming off a good year and headed into free agency.

Teams with post-season on their minds usually try to sign pitchers like Hammel, unless they think he's a fluke.

That's that old last place mentality creeping up again --- trade a young pitcher coming off a good year and headed into free agency.

Teams with post-season on their minds usually try to sign pitchers like Hammel, unless they think he's a fluke.

If I could get Hammel on a 3/24 deal, I'd do it today. 8M a year is a good price to pay for a guy of his profile. It could be a big reward, and it's not the type of contract that really hurts you if he is more of a back end of the rotation guy since Gausman and Bundy will presumably be up and making so little.

Archived