Should the Orioles trade some of their pitching this off season?

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I want to keep all of these guys around to give them more time to develop, and more time to work with Rick Peterson. I don't think we know what we have yet with many of them. And Steve Johnson is an Oriole.

2 things ... 1 you don't have room for them all. 2 Peterson may not be here. And 3 you don't have room for them all ;)

2 things ... 1 you don't have room for them all. 2 Peterson may not be here. And 3 you don't have room for them all ;)

I have room for them all. The O's used 26 pitchers in 2012. Injuries and non performance happens. Arrieta, Matusz and Hunter were supposed to main stays for the rotation. There is no way to know in the off season who is going to step forward and who is going to have problems. The only thing a GM can do in make sure there is a much depth as possible to handle the situations that will happen.

That's that old last place mentality creeping up again --- trade a young pitcher coming off a good year and headed into free agency.

Teams with post-season on their minds usually try to sign pitchers like Hammel, unless they think he's a fluke.

His career stats would indicate it was a fluke. Unfortunatly if he comes in to start the year and bombs he loses whatever value he may have had eksewise.

His career stats would indicate it was a fluke.

Yes, if you discount the fact that he thought he got himself together at the end of 2011 in the Colorado bullpen, openly said so, and came out and showed that it was probably true both before and after his injury.

Don't have room for them all? What!?!?

The Orioles have a surplus of Sp. Anybody who doesnt know that just isnt paying attention. That would be better used to get 2 impact bats for the middle or our order. I'd like to see us trade for Billy Butler and then add one of Hamilton/Swisher

The lineup would be drastically improved over the one we had this year and we'd be giving a fresh start to a guy or two that needs to start in the majors every 5th day to develop.

The Orioles have a surplus of Sp. Anybody who doesnt know that just isnt paying attention. That would be better used to get 2 impact bats for the middle or our order. I'd like to see us trade for Billy Butler and then add one of Hamilton/Swisher

The lineup would be drastically improved over the one we had this year and we'd be giving a fresh start to a guy or two that needs to start in the majors every 5th day to develop.

Who are you trading to get those bats? Who are you trading for and who is leaving?

And the second part to that question is after you make those trades, who is in your AAA rotation next year? Because we had 8 starters this year start 10 or more games. We had 12 pitchers start a game ths year.

Starting pitchers we have

1) Hammel

2) Chen

3) Gonzalez

4) Tillman

5) Free agent (Most likely Saunders)

6) Wada

7) Matusz

8) Britton

9) Arrieta

10) S Johnson

11) Z Clark

12) Zagone

13) T Hunter

I agree. So you probably need to trade 4-6 of those arms to get the 2 impact bats that you want. I'm gussing that Matusz, Britton, Arrieta, and Johnson would have to go. That leaves

Hammel

Chen

Gonzalez

Tillman

Saunders

Wada

Clark

Zagone

Hunter

You're really comfortable with that?

Starting pitchers we have

1) Hammel

2) Chen

3) Gonzalez

4) Tillman

5) Free agent (Most likely Saunders)

6) Wada

7) Matusz

8) Britton

9) Arrieta

10) S Johnson

11) Z Clark

12) Zagone

13) T Hunter

I wouldn't consider Hunter a starter anymore. I think we also need to take into consideration that Bundy and/or Gausman could be in Baltimore by the AS break next season.

That said...I'm not sure we have the "quality" to trade for a big stick this offseason. I just don't see the Royals moving Butler or Hosmer for what we'd have to offer.

Who are you trading to get those bats? Who are you trading for and who is leaving?

And the second part to that question is after you make those trades, who is in your AAA rotation next year? Because we had 8 starters this year start 10 or more games. We had 12 pitchers start a game ths year.

I'm trading for Billy Butler as I said in my reply. I am offering young cheap under control pitching that is ready to Milwaukee. I'd offer 2 of Arrieta/Matusz/Britton/S Johnson/ T Hunter and another piece or two not named Gausman/Bundy.

Your rotation is set

1) Hammel

2) Chen

3) Tillman

4) Gonzalez

5) A free agent (I believe they will bring back Saunders) I'd be okay with Johnson

Your bullpen includes a few starter options and I would look for a Loogy in free agency/trade.

Your AAA rotation

1) Zagone

2) Arrieta/Johnson/Britton

3) Z Clark

4) Petersime

5) Pinero/Bascom

I'm trading for Billy Butler as I said in my reply. I am offering young cheap under control pitching that is ready to Milwaukee. I'd offer 2 of Arrieta/Matusz/Britton/S Johnson/ T Hunter and another piece or two not named Gausman/Bundy.

Your rotation is set

1) Hammel

2) Chen

3) Tillman

4) Gonzalez

5) A free agent (I believe they will bring back Saunders) I'd be okay with Johnson

Your bullpen includes a few starter options and I would look for a Loogy in free agency/trade.

Your AAA rotation

1) Zagone

2) Arrieta/Johnson/Britton

3) Z Clark

4) Petersime

5) Pinero/Bascom

So you're really comfortable going into next year with Zagone, Clark, and Pinero as your next ready to come up arms? You have one injury and one guy struggling and your #4/5 starters in your rotation are Zagone and Clark.

No way I'm okay with that.

Archived