Should the Orioles trade some of their pitching this off season?

Diehard_O's_Fan

I agree. So you probably need to trade 4-6 of those arms to get the 2 impact bats that you want. I'm gussing that Matusz, Britton, Arrieta, and Johnson would have to go. That leaves

Hammel

Chen

Gonzalez

Tillman

Saunders

Wada

Clark

Zagone

Hunter

You're really comfortable with that?

The Orioles can get 1 bat in free agency and 1 via trade. I'd offer 2 of our nonessential SPs and another player or two. Schoop comes to mind and I personally think he's way overrated here.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Orioles have a surplus of Sp. Anybody who doesnt know that just isnt paying attention. That would be better used to get 2 impact bats for the middle or our order. I'd like to see us trade for Billy Butler and then add one of Hamilton/Swisher

The lineup would be drastically improved over the one we had this year and we'd be giving a fresh start to a guy or two that needs to start in the majors every 5th day to develop.

There is no surplus of starting pitching this off season. Maybe next year's off season but not now.

Tillman, Gonzo, Hammel, Chen and Saunders in the rotation. J Johnson, Strop, O'Day, Ayala, Patton, Matusz and Hunter in the pen. Wada on the DL. S Johnson, Arrieta and Britton at Norfolk. Bundy and Gausman at Bowie. There is a little depth to start the season but no surplus. Last year Hammel spent half a year on the DL. Britton was on the DL for a while. Arrieta, Hunter, and Matusz spent time in the minors for non performance. If 5 for the starters experience the same kind of problems in 2013, there is no surplus of starting pitching. And that is what has to be planned for.

So you're really comfortable going into next year with Zagone, Clark, and Pinero as your next ready to come up arms? You have one injury and one guy struggling and your #4/5 starters in your rotation are Zagone and Clark.

No way I'm okay with that.

Come on dude really ... I'm giving up two of those guys... You'd have half of these guys Johnson/Matusz/Arrieta/Britton And dont forget Wada who they need to make room for when he's ready.

There is no surplus of starting pitching this off season. Maybe next year's off season but not now.

Tillman, Gonzo, Hammel, Chen and Saunders in the rotation. J Johnson, Strop, O'Day, Ayala, Patton, Matusz and Hunter in the pen. Wada on the DL. S Johnson, Arrieta and Britton at Norfolk. Bundy and Gausman at Bowie. There is a little depth to start the season but no surplus. Last year Hammel spent half a year on the DL. Britton was on the DL for a while. Arrieta, Hunter, and Matusz spent time in the minors for non performance. If 5 for the starters experience the same kind of problems in 2013, there is no surplus of starting pitching. And that is what has to be planned for.

OKay ...so Hoard your surplus of SPs that we do have and go into next season with the mediocre all or strikeout line up we had this season and the Orioles will be back in .500ish land.

The Orioles can get 1 bat in free agency and 1 via trade. I'd offer 2 of our nonessential SPs and another player or two. Schoop comes to mind and I personally think he's way overrated here.

So I just want to make sure I have this right.

You want to sign Hamilton (which is going to take 5-7 years)

You want to trade Schoop and 2-3 starters for Billy Butler.

So next year alone you are adding 20-35 million dollars to our payroll in just those two players.

You are getting rid of Chris Davis. You are getting rid of Schoop. You are getting rid of Britton, Matusz, and probably another starter (Royals are not trading Butler for just Schoop, Matusz, and Arrieta). You still need a 1B (I guess you need to sign Reynolds back). You are keeping our 2B situation the same.

And now our #6-8 starters who are coming if we have any injuries are Arrieta, Zagone, and Clark.

No thanks.

Come on dude really ... I'm giving up two of those guys... You'd have half of these guys Johnson/Matusz/Arrieta/Britton And dont forget Wada who they need to make room for when he's ready.

You are not getting Butler for two of Arrieta, Matusz, Britton. Even if you throw in Schoop. None of those starters have enough trade value right now to make that work.

Starting pitchers we have

1) Hammel

2) Chen

3) Gonzalez

4) Tillman

5) Free agent (Most likely Saunders)

6) Wada

7) Matusz

8) Britton

9) Arrieta

10) S Johnson

11) Z Clark

12) Zagone

13) T Hunter

Clark is probably a long reliever in the majors. Zagone is 26 and has 2 starts above AA. Hunter is a reliever. You are stretching things a bit. Remember the O's are contenders in 2013. Your can't put guys that are going to bet bombed in the O's starting rotation.

OKay ...so Hoard your surplus of SPs that we do have and go into next season with the mediocre all or strikeout line up we had this season and the Orioles will be back in .500ish land.

Josh Hamilton had 162 strikeouts last year. That would have been the 2nd most on our team last year.

So I just want to make sure I have this right.

You want to sign Hamilton (which is going to take 5-7 years) 5 years or Swisher

You want to trade Schoop and 2-3 starters for Billy Butler. Schoop, 2 or the SPs, and a lower Mil player

So next year alone you are adding 20-35 million dollars to our payroll in just those two players. We have the extra $25 Million that every team gets

You are getting rid of Chris Davis. You are getting rid of Schoop. You are getting rid of Britton, Matusz, and probably another starter (Royals are not trading Butler for just Schoop, Matusz, and Arrieta). You still need a 1B (I guess you need to sign Reynolds back). You are keeping our 2B situation the same. Keeping Davis / letting Reynolds Walk ...Davis/Swisher/ Butler can play 1B

And now our #6-8 starters who are coming if we have any injuries are Arrieta, Zagone, and Clark.

No thanks.

characters ....

Clark is probably a long reliever in the majors. Zagone is 26 and has 2 starts above AA. Hunter is a reliever. You are stretching things a bit. Remember the O's are contenders in 2013. Your can't put guys that are going to bet bombed in the O's starting rotation.

Wild .... Im proposing a move of 2 guys ...Not them all ...we will still have 2 of Britton/Matusz/Johnson/Arrieta. Wada will need a place when he returns. I think the Orioles will add 1 starter via free agency.

characters ....

1: 5 years for Hamilton is too much. And don't want Swisher

2: Schoop + 2 of those arms are not getting it done for Butler. Sorry. You can say it will and hope it will but it won't.

3: So why wouldn't every team put that toward Hamilton if it's just free money to go get the best player?

4: Arrieta, Zagone, Clark as your next man up starters if anyone gets hurt. NO THANK YOU!

Wild .... Im proposing a move of 2 guys ...Not them all ...we will still have 2 of Britton/Matusz/Johnson/Arrieta. Wada will need a place when he returns. I think the Orioles will add 1 starter via free agency.

Your proposal isn't enough to get Butler dude. The Royals are not trading a 26 year old stud 1B/DH that is signed for 2-3 more years for a 27 year old SP who has never had an ERA under 4.66 (Arrieta), a league age 26 year old SP next year who has had a 10.69 and 4.87 ERA the past two years (Matusz), and you can just throw Schoop in there to make the trade look pretty.

Josh Hamilton had 162 strikeouts last year. That would have been the 2nd most on our team last year.

He also hit .285 (2nd only to Jones .287), Hit 43 homes (1st by 10 ), Drove in 143 RBIs (1st by 58 RBIs over Davis), .354 OBP (1st by .19 points over Reynolds), .577 Slg (1st by .52 points over Jones)

He also hit .285 (2nd only to Jones .287), Hit 43 homes (1st by 10 ), Drove in 143 RBIs (1st by 58 RBIs over Davis), .354 OBP (1st by .19 points over Reynolds), .577 Slg (1st by .52 points over Jones)

I want you to reply to why the Royals would do the trade your proposing, and why you're comfortable with the Norfolk depth that you'll have after the trade.

1: 5 years for Hamilton is too much. And don't want Swisher

2: Schoop + 2 of those arms are not getting it done for Butler. Sorry. You can say it will and hope it will but it won't.

3: So why wouldn't every team put that toward Hamilton if it's just free money to go get the best player?

4: Arrieta, Zagone, Clark as your next man up starters if anyone gets hurt. NO THANK YOU!

1) 5 years of Hamilton is fair

2) Schoop, Britton, Johnson/Matusz/Arrieta, & Delmonico is pretty close IMO

3) Is just a fact that i'm not arguing with you ...I dont know if teams will add it to payroll or not ... I bet the Nationals will!

4) Your just not listening or you wouldnt have made this same stupid argument again.

Archived