Former Cub/Diamondbacks player Mark Grace facing mandatory jail/prison time

Blizzard1090

http://www.sportsgrid.com/mlb/former-cub-and-diamondback-mark-grace-faces-jail-time/

I remember seeing Grace play with the Cubs and of course,I remember his leadoff single in the 9th inning of game 7 of the 01 World Series that started the rally off Mariano Rivera that denied the Yankees their 4th straight World Series win.

He was also known as a good clubhouse guy and was one of the funniest baseball players around.

And all that..should mean nothing. He has shown that he has no problem getting behind the wheel of a car and putting lives at risk. I find it hard to believe this is new for him,only now he's starting to get caught. It's only a matter of time before his "luck" runs out and he injures or kills someone. Put him in jail.

He's had 2 charges, not convictions. No need to jump down the guy's throat about it.

Obviously, though, not saying it's a good thing.

Although the article refers to Grace having had two DUI "charges" in the last 15 months, I think we can assume he either pled guilty or was found guilty on the earlier charge. Otherwise, the mere fact that he was charged would not be relevant to the penalty he would receive if he were convicted or pled guilty this time around.

Although the article refers to Grace having had two DUI "charges" in the last 15 months, I think we can assume he either pled guilty or was found guilty on the earlier charge. Otherwise, the mere fact that he was charged would not be relevant to the penalty he would receive if he were convicted or pled guilty this time around.

Yeah, I know. But, framing your argument and such.;)

He's had 2 charges, not convictions. No need to jump down the guy's throat about it.

Obviously, though, not saying it's a good thing.

The following article shows that I think it's okay to "jump down the guys throat about it."

http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsdale/articles/20121025mark-grace-indicted-dui-counts.html?nclick_check=1

Former Arizona Diamondbacks? broadcaster Mark Grace has been indicted on four felony counts stemming from his August arrest in Scottsdale on suspicion of driving under the influence.

A grand jury on Oct. 3 indicted Grace on four felony counts of aggravated driving or actual physical control while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs, said Jerry Cobb, Maricopa County Attorney?s Office spokesman.

The indictment was released by the County Attorney?s office Thursday.

Grace, who also played for the Diamondbacks and was a member of the team?s 2001 World Series championship team, is charged not only with driving under the influence but also driving with a suspended license and without an interlock device. The latter stems form a requirement under his previous DUI conviction, which occurred more than a year before in Scottsdale.

If convicted, Grace faces between 1 and 3.75 years in prison on each count, but the sentences would likely be imposed concurrently because they relate to one incident, Cobb said.

Grace could face a more lenient sentence if he pleads guilty to reduced charges, Cobb said. Grace is scheduled to appear in court for a pretrial conference at 8:30 a.m. Dec. 5 before Commissioner Jerry Bernstein.

Grace, a Scottsdale resident, was arrested about 9 p.m. Aug. 23 after he was pulled over while driving near 7200 E. McCormick Parkway in Scottsdale.

Blood tests showed he had a blood-alcohol content of .095, which is above the legal limit of .08, said Scottsdale Police Officer David Pubins.

Grace also was arrested May 30, 2011, and subsequently his license was suspended and he was required to have an interlock device in his vehicle, police said.

Diamondbacks CEO Derrick Hall announced Oct. 4 that Grace would not be returning to the broadcast booth.

Hall said the club had told Grace after the first DUI that they could not keep him if it happened again.

The Diamondbacks had no further comment on Thursday.

Yikes. Always thought Grace was one of the good guys.

Have a buddy that is a Cubs fan and he was always known as a two fisted drinker. I don't have an issue with that but I do when a person chooses to get behind the wheel after drinking. I find it hard to believe that he started drinking and driving in 2011,he's just gotten caught now.

As someone who has a close friend who has lifelong injuries due to a repeat drunk driver,I have no sympathy at all for Mark Grace. The fact some people (thankfully not many) think him starting the rally against Mariano in 01 should get him special treatment is an insult.

Sooner or later his "luck" will run out and it will be an innocent person that pays the price.

I'm sure that Mark Grace is a "good guy". However, he obviously has a drinking problem. His disregard for the law has already cost him his broadcasting job with the Diamondbacks. Further, he needs to do some prison time IMO. Hopefully, he'll get some treatment while he's in jail and he won't put others at risk in the future.

I could understand Grace getting 30 days to maybe a year and rehab but anything beyond that is overkill. There are people committing much more serious crimes doing less time. As for the argument he "could" have hurt someone, the bottom line is he didn't. Punish him for the offense committed, not for a hypothetical crime. Not to mention that many localities are using DUI's as a fundraising tool which is another story altogether.

Archived