Farrell "All in" on Peterson as pitching coach

bej6789

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully Rick comes back. I gotta believe that DD is smart enough to have someone working with Rick that can absorb some of what he is doing and will be able to continue the program even if he does not come back. If other teams are interested in your coaches its a good prob, it means your doing something right.

The Red Sox have focused on building a cohesive coaching staff after the discord that marked Bobby Valentine’s one season.

“The most important thing is that the pitcher gets clarity in the communication to him, which I’m confident will take place with Juan,” said Farrell. “The ease of our working relationship will foster that.

“I think it’s important that the guys in that clubhouse know that the coaching staff is working from the same page, there’s communication across different areas of the game. When we work together and we give that feeling to those guys in the clubhouse, there’s a unified sense of direction. I think that is critical.”

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/2012/11/08/red-sox-hire-juan-nieves-pitching-coach/OCH2tw0FdPjJNKB5BAmkRL/story.html

Seems like maybe Peterson was a little too much his own man for Farrell's tastes.

I don't buy that after being "all in" on him a couple days earlier; IMO that's just Farrell towing the front office line. But then again maybe the "all in" report was just fiction.

I love reading the comments:

"As someone who works at Camden Yards all I remember is two of the starters being sent to the bullen in August with tired arms (Hunter, Arritara). Chen falling to get out of the 5th in 6 striaght starts, starting in August. The fact is the September call up could not come fast enough for that pitching staff. Britton was solid and they got starts from Johnson and Gonzalez All three of them were 1st and 2nd round picks in prior drafts(the reward for finishing in last place for 5 straight years). I really don't think Peterson had anything to do with it. They had a staff of 28 for the whole year and got the max out of each and everyone of the guys who pitched. Let's see what happens this year before you get too excited over this staff(after Bundy gets call up there isn't much left)"

So Britton, Johnson, and Gonzalez were all 1st or 2nd rounders that we got for finishing last? Wrong, wrong and wrong. Amazing.

I love reading the comments:

"As someone who works at Camden Yards all I remember is two of the starters being sent to the bullen in August with tired arms (Hunter, Arritara). Chen falling to get out of the 5th in 6 striaght starts, starting in August. The fact is the September call up could not come fast enough for that pitching staff. Britton was solid and they got starts from Johnson and Gonzalez All three of them were 1st and 2nd round picks in prior drafts(the reward for finishing in last place for 5 straight years). I really don't think Peterson had anything to do with it. They had a staff of 28 for the whole year and got the max out of each and everyone of the guys who pitched. Let's see what happens this year before you get too excited over this staff(after Bundy gets call up there isn't much left)"

So Britton, Johnson, and Gonzalez were all 1st or 2nd rounders that we got for finishing last? Wrong, wrong and wrong. Amazing.

Not to mention that Chen never went 6 straight starts where he failed to get out of the fifth. Twice, sure...but 6 in a row? Nope.

Funny how he conveniently leaves out Tillman too.

Archived