SI AL East Hot Stove Report

Hooded Viper

They weren't a .500ish team. They won 93 games. It doesn't matter how they got there. Not bashing you, but I hate when the national media talks like that. That's like saying the Red Sox were a 95 win team, but bad luck hit them.

This. Until the record says otherwise, the Orioles are the second best team in the AL Beast.

That said, there's always room for improvement. ;)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is what is wrong with the stat view of baseball: It leads you to ignore the facts. To paraphrase Semi-Tough' date=' "the Orioles won 93 games. The scoreboard done said so."[/quote']

Honestly Dude ... the Orioles had a out of this world bullpen. They had a way out of whack record in 1 run games. They had horrible offensive numbers (runs per game) early that made for a negative run differential for most of the season. These things are very very unlikely to be reduplicated next season. The Orioles did what they did to get where they did...But it would be foolish to expect it to happen again.

Honestly Dude ... the Orioles had a out of this world bullpen. They had a way out of whack record in 1 run games. They had horrible offensive numbers (runs per game) early that made for a negative run differential for most of the season. These things are very very unlikely to be reduplicated next season. The Orioles did what they did to get where they did...But it would be foolish to expect it to happen again.

Im not saying I expect them to do it again in 2013. But, they did it in 2012. It just irks me, and really disrespects what ths players did, when guys like Sheehan say things like "It doesnt matter what the W/L record said, they were really this".

Im not saying I expect them to do it again in 2013. But, they did it in 2012. It just irks me, and really disrespects what ths players did, when guys like Sheehan say things like "It doesnt matter what the W/L record said, they were really this".

I've got it and I dont disagree ... But it just a not politically correct way of saying if they dont upgrade they will likely revert to what they probably shouldve been. I'm happy for the Orioles and excited to see them do well .... I'm certain you are realistic enough to know they played over their heads. And they need some upgrades to finish up top again.

My point is that I would rather enjoy the Orioles success than to poo-poo all of it in hopes of being 'right.'

Anybody posting here certainly enjoyed their success. But now it to business of improving the club for sustained success. You dont do that by pretending that you over achieved with factors that likely wont be duplicated. The Orioles need offensive upgrades regardless of how they get them. they need two MOO bats that can hit, have good OBP, and can hit a sac fly with runners on 3rd with less than 2 outs. WHich the Orioles did miserably at IMO.

My point is that I would rather enjoy the Orioles success than to poo-poo all of it in hopes of being 'right.'

These folks are talking about trying to assure success next year, too. Y'all got a weird perspective on the concept of improving the team in the offseason.

Ok, but for planning purposes no GM worth anything would treat the Orioles as a 93 win team. That's silly, and leads to decisions like the Mariners trading the farm for a couple years of Erik Bedard, thinking they were on the verge of greatness despite their W/L record being better than the talent of the team. I would certainly hope Duquette is approaching '13 with the mindset they they need to add about 10 or 15 wins through acquisitions and improvements.

A GM worth anything, should always be looking to improve going into the next season. That should be the case if your team won 65 games or 100. But, im not a GM, and my feeling is we won 93 games, and I dont care how we got there. I'll leave the worrying on how to get there again, to the man that gets paid to worry about that.

I've got it and I dont disagree ... But it just a not politically correct way of saying if they dont upgrade they will likely revert to what they probably shouldve been. I'm happy for the Orioles and excited to see them do well .... I'm certain you are realistic enough to know they played over their heads. And they need some upgrades to finish up top again.

I know a repeat is unlikely, without improvements. But, if the path is trying to do that in hopes of McLouth and Gonzalez part 2, im not expecting it. And that seems to be the road DD is set on taking. I know you agree, thats not going to put us over the top. That road hit a dead end for AM too.

A GM worth anything, should always be looking to improve going into the next season. That should be the case if your team won 65 games or 100. But, im not a GM, and my feeling is we won 93 games, and I dont care how we got there. I'll leave the worrying on how to get there again, to the man that gets paid to worry about that.

Your approach to the process would be much different at 63 games then it would be at 93 wins. At 63 games you dont look for the 1 or 2 difference makers needed to get you to the WS.

d

I know a repeat is unlikely, without improvements. But, if the path is trying to do that in hopes of McLouth and Gonzalez part 2, im not expecting it. And that seems to be the road DD is set on taking. I know you agree, thats not going to put us over the top. That road hit a dead end for AM too.

I'll withhold judgement until I see what is actually done. The Orioles have extra money $25 Million, $7 Million in playoff revenue, 20% in increased attendance.... He said he would increase payroll with attendance last off season.

Your approach to the process would be much different at 63 games then it would be at 93 wins. At 63 games you dont look for the 1 or 2 difference makers needed to get you to the WS.

d

The thing is, I dont think DD approach would be any different, if the O's won 70 games in 2012. Hes looking for cost effective players, that are low risk-high reward. Realistically, this team was an 82 win team? Hes going to have to find a lot more McLouth/Gonzalez types, and hope the ones he already has, shocks again. Add to that, hopes the you.g core players dont take step backs. Thats why I want to enjoy 2012 for what it was. A 93 win hell of a ride. Because, I honestly dont expect us to win more than 80 games in 2013.

I'll withhold judgement until I see what is actually done. The Orioles have extra money $25 Million, $7 Million in playoff revenue, 20% in increased attendance.... He said he would increase payroll with attendance last off season.

Yeah, but like many have said, the payroll will increase with just what we have. That doesnt mean adding stars. See, these threads always bring me down ;)

Archived