Report: Morosi says a source links us with Hamilton and Ross

Conway12

The Dodgers will land Grienke. But where would Hamilton play? The Dodgers is another example of MLB needing a salary cap. Four guys with 100+ mil contracts, and are likely to add Grienke.

Well the Dodger and Angels are now the West coast versions of the Yankees and Red Sox. Ironically there are some indications that the Yanks and Sox are toning things down as they have both seen the downside of a 10/200 million dollar type deal (the part were the guy is getting 20 million a year for 2million dollars of production). I think eventually both these teams (Dodgers and Angels) will learn that same lesson. Unfortunately they may win a lot before its time to pay the piper.

I do think the Luxury Tax getting stiffer was a good thing and a step in the right direction. It seems clear that the Yanks have taken not of the combination of bad contracts and tax and how that pigeon holes them. They will pay Cano but he is not getting the ARod type deal some thought or speculated he would. He might get the per/yr avg but not the years.

The real prob baseball has, is that once the teams are no longer giving those ridiculously long deals its only gonna be harder to compete. Eventually you will end up with a scenario were the Yanks will give a guy like Cano 30-35 million over 5 yrs or so and not have the downside of 3-4 yrs of bad production for the money that a 8 yrs deal would have. That will make it only harder for teams without the resources to compete

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Something to consider - mainly for the folks who think Hamilton is a baseball god while at the same time thinking Cody Ross is the dictionary definition of mediocrity. Ross is and always has been a better hitter vs lefties than Hamilton - and it's not even close. Last year, the OPS difference was 1.010 vs .853. For their careers, it's .928 vs .808. And this is with Hamilton playing most of his career with Texas. Granted, more of their at bats are obviously against righties, and Hamilton is the better player, but I'd much rather pay 6 mil a year for Ross (which I think he'll likely ultimately get) than commit over 100 mil to Hamilton (which I think he'll likely ultimately get).

We have about 5 Cody Ross types on this team already. Minimal pop, pedestrian OBP, 1 win ish player who is coming off a 1 year $3 million deal for a reason.

No thanks.

The Mariners were one of the suggested teams that would be interested in JH yesterday, but according to MLBTR only if the price drops to $80-85mil over four to five years. Maybe there is a soft market for him. Still, probably too soon to tell, but a good sign nonetheless.

I think he's wired fine. Stuff gets made out to be bigger, because he's a recovering addict. He's a person who believes strongly in his faith. I'd trust hes wired better then most players.

Sorry, I should clarify. I was joking and mostly talking about the jaguar part of the analogy. Electrically, they are probably the worst car to have to work on.

Can someone please explain to me how the O's will outbid the Yankees for Josh Hamilton? The Yankees left Swisher go as a FA. They need a least one OFer maybe two. Their superstars are fading in ARod and Jeter. They always look for star power which Hamilton has. They get the same increase from the TV contract as everyone else.

How could the O's outbid them?

Can someone please explain to me how the O's will outbid the Yankees for Josh Hamilton? The Yankees left Swisher go as a FA. They need a least one OFer maybe two. Their superstars are fading in ARod and Jeter. They always look for star power which Hamilton has. They get the same increase from the TV contract as everyone else.

The Yankees are cutting payroll. They want to go from $210 to $189 mill. They can not sign Josh and cut payroll unless Josh takes way less to go to the Yankees.

The Yankees are cutting payroll. They want to go from $210 to $189 mill. They can not sign Josh and cut payroll unless Josh takes way less to go to the Yankees.

Thanks for the try but the argument is not convincing for several reasons.

1) The Yankees are not about cutting payroll. They are about winning the WS.

2) The Yankees always talk about cutting payroll but they never do it.

3) The Yankees only have $131M committed for next year. That wouldn't be only for to many teams but it is only for the Yankees.

4) The Yankees know they have to put a better product on the field after the O's nearly beat them and the Tigers crushed them in the playoffs.

5) The Yankees get a $25M increase in revenue in 2014.

6) If they want to they can offer Hamilton a low 2013 salary and backload the rest of the contract.

I don't buy for a minute that the Yankees can't afford to sign Hamilton. Thanks for the try though.

Does anyone have a better reason?

Are the Yankees going to have a pitching staff? That $131 mill includes 1 starter, no closer, no catcher and 1 outfielder! They need a lot more than JH.

What?

They have CC, Hughes, Nova, Pineda already. If Pettite returns it's with NY. They want Kuroda back too. They also have Granderson & Gardner already in the outfield.

. The Yankees are said to be against the lux tax threshold. They have publicly said they dont want to pay the tax. Im certain a extra 25 mil will push them way over.

H

What?

They have CC, Hughes, Nova, Pineda already. If Pettite returns it's with NY. They want Kuroda back too. They also have Granderson & Gardner already in the outfield.

To make this clear the $131 mill includes...CC, Jeter A-Rod, Tex, Cano, Graderson and AJ Burnett (gone). Six of the 25 take spots take up $131 mill. They are not fitting in JH in and staying under $189 mill. I hope they put together the pitching staff you just described. I do not see Cashman relying on those guys.

Archived