Report: Morosi says a source links us with Hamilton and Ross

Conway12

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most of the national anylysts have Hamilton to the O's. Usually, when there's smoke, there's fire. I'm not saying they will sign Hamilton, but I don't think the O's interest is as timid as the local media is reporting IMO.

There is definitely interest. I imagine it's comparable to the interest we had in Prince Fielder last offseason. He's the best available player that would fill one of our biggest holes. That said, like Prince, I don't think we're going to get into some crazy bidding war. DD likely has a max offer he's unwilling or unable to surpass. It will likely take some serious alignment of the stars for Josh to be in orange and black next season, but I think it's a higher probability than the 1 in a 1000 many here are suggesting.

There is definitely interest. I imagine it's comparable to the interest we had in Prince Fielder last offseason. He's the best available player that would fill one of our biggest holes. That said, like Prince, I don't think we're going to get into some crazy bidding war. DD likely has a max offer he's unwilling or unable to surpass. It will likely take some serious alignment of the stars for Josh to be in orange and black next season, but I think it's a higher probability than the 1 in a 1000 many here are suggesting.

Right. I'm thinking 1 in 999. ;)

Yeah Johnny..id be ok with that deal. Id take Hamilton for a 145 games a year, over 162 of any combo of McLouth/Reimold/Ford/Avery.

I'd be OK with Hamilton in LF for 145 games, even if it meant we could only field two OFs and have nobody in LF for the other 17 games...(relax, just making a point)

I don't get the hesitation to spend a lot of money this offseason...if signing a big FA to a team that already has a winning/playoff contending foundation that is ridiculously young will cripple an organization, then there is never a time that signing a big FA will be OK...

In years past we've been hesitant to sign big FA because we didn't have a winning team and signing a guy like that would hinder the organization because you couldn't build around him...now that the support is there, we need to do something like this...did anybody else see us get knocked out of the playoffs because of one pitcher who shut us down twice in one series just a few weeks ago? You need superstars to take you to the next level. We don't have a #1 SP that can almost guarantee us two wins in any best of 5+ game series, so we need someone who can be his equal. The only type of guy I would want more than a star like Hamilton is a guy like Sabathia...

Seriously, if not now, when? Are you going to wait until we don't make the playoffs this year (because we just missed it or something, thanks to the Blue Jays or some other team) and therefore become slightly less attractive to FAs in the future? Or allow the media to say "Sure, they're better than they used to be, but we knew last year was a fluke..."

In my opinion, we need to make the playoffs again this year, maybe even more than we needed to last year. If we don't, it could be all that is needed for things to start falling apart again. This isn't a "chicken little" post, but just think about it. A lot of little things went our way last year, including a lot of one-run victories. Those are surely due to a lot of perseverance, but if you don't think we caught a lot of breaks last year as well, then you're kidding yourself.

Remember the Rockies' surge a couple years ago? Where are they now? That team had a good chemistry, a good young crop of players, and a lot of perseverance too...but they also had a lot of breaks go there way as well. In fact, last year's Orioles have a lot of similarities to that Colorado team...what did they do to add to their roster to keep it going? Who was their big name FA signing after they made the WS? That's right, nobody...and just as quickly as they rose to the top, they are right back at the bottom...irrelevant as ever...

I'd be OK with Hamilton in LF for 145 games, even if it meant we could only field two OFs and have nobody in LF for the other 17 games...(relax, just making a point)

I don't get the hesitation to spend a lot of money this offseason...if signing a big FA to a team that already has a winning/playoff contending foundation that is ridiculously young will cripple an organization, then there is never a time that signing a big FA will be OK...

In years past we've been hesitant to sign big FA because we didn't have a winning team and signing a guy like that would hinder the organization because you couldn't build around him...now that the support is there, we need to do something like this...did anybody else see us get knocked out of the playoffs because of one pitcher who shut us down twice in one series just a few weeks ago? You need superstars to take you to the next level. We don't have a #1 SP that can almost guarantee us two wins in any best of 5+ game series, so we need someone who can be his equal. The only type of guy I would want more than a star like Hamilton is a guy like Sabathia...

Seriously, if not now, when? Are you going to wait until we don't make the playoffs this year (because we just missed it or something, thanks to the Blue Jays or some other team) and therefore become slightly less attractive to FAs in the future? Or allow the media to say "Sure, they're better than they used to be, but we knew last year was a fluke..."

In my opinion, we need to make the playoffs again this year, maybe even more than we needed to last year. If we don't, it could be all that is needed for things to start falling apart again. This isn't a "chicken little" post, but just think about it. A lot of little things went our way last year, including a lot of one-run victories. Those are surely due to a lot of perseverance, but if you don't think we caught a lot of breaks last year as well, then you're kidding yourself.

Remember the Rockies' surge a couple years ago? Where are they now? That team had a good chemistry, a good young crop of players, and a lot of perseverance too...but they also had a lot of breaks go there way as well. In fact, last year's Orioles have a lot of similarities to that Colorado team...what did they do to add to their roster to keep it going? Who was their big name FA signing after they made the WS? That's right, nobody...and just as quickly as they rose to the top, they are right back at the bottom...irrelevant as ever...

I tend to agree with this. I think we could literally drop to last place in the division this year without some improvements. And the Yankees haven't even pulled off their normal shennanigans yet, nor has Boston. And there is a ton of good FA talent out there this year, especially on the pitching side.

Great post. I agree with everything you said. Though everytime I raise the same points or question the FO, the villagers hunt me down with their pitchforks and tell me im not allowed to have that opinion or question the FO. Oh, and that the offseason hasnt even started yet..guess the Blue Jays didnt get that memo. Oh well.

I tend to agree with this. I think we could literally drop to last place in the division this year without some improvements. And the Yankees haven't even pulled off their normal shennanigans yet, nor has Boston. And there is a ton of good FA talent out there this year, especially on the pitching side.
The problem isn't spending per se, it's getting tied to a bad contract a couple of years down the road when our current core players are getting expensive as well. If they could get Hamilton for 3/75 I'm sure they would spend for him.

The problem isn't spending per se, it's getting tied to a bad contract a couple of years down the road when our current core players are getting expensive as well. If they could get Hamilton for 3/75 I'm sure they would spend for him.

Texas set the market by saying they will not go more then 3. 4 or 5 years might do it. The O's are in a position where they almost have to take that risk. Its now or never.

Well when that happens you just trade all of them to the Dodgers or Blue Jays, obviously.

Archived