Report: Morosi says a source links us with Hamilton and Ross

Conway12

It's not as bad as people make it out to be. In 5 seasons he's averaged 129 games. Seems that the move the LF this past season did help keep him healthy as many projected.

So in the seasons before the average player starts breaking down physically he has averaged 129 games. That isn't encouraging news to me considering the years and dollars being asked for.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I definitely should have said "leading up to the playoffs".

The fact is, he dogged it at the end of the year. If Jones' end-of-year struggles were due to trying too hard, Hamilton's was the opposite. The entourage and supervision that he requires is over the top. He's said to be bad for clubhouse chemistry because guys just get tired of him. He honestly and truly believed he was struggling due to God punishing him for chewing tobacco.. I mean.. that's fine or whatever, but to me that's a lazy way out of owning up to your slump. He just sounds like a constant headache and eye-roller with some home runs mixed in. He also doesn't see many pitches and that's not what this team needs.

I would rather we trade for Justin Upton if we're going to do something dramatic.

Otherwise, just sign Nate and roll with Nate/Reimold/Hoes/Avery. We'll get more speed and defense that way anyway.

Just to be clear, I have my reservations about Hamilton, I was just debating your point about his playoff performance. I think the way he finished the season probably cost him $50 mm.

If the price is $25m/year for five years, maybe six... I think the O's will definitely be in it. I really don't see a team out there that's going to beat down Hamilton's door to sign him, to be honest.

Hamilton, according to fangraphs, has had only only season where he was worth more than $20 mm, in 2010. Considering all his baggage and possibility of a catastrophic relapse, I'd be against signing him for any deal that was more than $20 mm/yr. Sorry guys, but that's just the way I'm wired. I don't believe in grossly overpaying, even for potentially high-impact talent.

The fact is, he dogged it at the end of the year. If Jones' end-of-year struggles were due to trying too hard, Hamilton's was the opposite. The entourage and supervision that he requires is over the top. He's said to be bad for clubhouse chemistry because guys just get tired of him. He honestly and truly believed he was struggling due to God punishing him for chewing tobacco.. I mean.. that's fine or whatever, but to me that's a lazy way out of owning up to your slump. He just sounds like a constant headache and eye-roller with some home runs mixed in. He also doesn't see many pitches and that's not what this team needs.

I would rather we trade for Justin Upton if we're going to do something dramatic.

Otherwise, just sign Nate and roll with Nate/Reimold/Hoes/Avery. We'll get more speed and defense that way anyway.

The problem Dan is that Upton & Hamilton arent even remotely the same type of player stats wise. Upton has hit 17 bombs in two of the last three years (with a 31in between). The 31HR year might be that year could be something you could expect in years to come. But you'd have to be willing to settle for 17hr 70RBI .780ish OPS type player that he has been two of the last three. In fact in my mind he's more likely that player. Hamilton is a hitter that pitchers fear. His lowest HR year in 3 is 25 with 43 his best ...He has drove in 100rbi 2 or the 3 years and OPS of .882/.930/1004. As you can see he's not even in the zip code.

Ross would give you around 20 HR, 80 RBI, and a .780 OPS, but he is not much more than a .325 OBP guy. I'd rather bet on a healthy Reimold or go with McLouth. If DD wants to get a LF he should be addressing the OBP problem as well.

Ross fits in the J Upton bucket .... We have guys like him. Thats not what we need here in Bawlmer LOL

You see, Josh loves both baseball and the Orioles so much that he's willing to give back $5M if we agree to keeping him an extra season.

Actually, most feel he will get 25 mil per year. 5x25=125. I think he has 3 really good years left, and by the 4th, will probably be average. Id rather pay more per year for lesser years, then to get stuck with that 5th year at 25 mil. If in the 4th l, hes atleast average, you could probably trade him, and get something back, if you eat some salary. In the end, your paying a little more for a higher level of performance, and taking away some of the risk of getting stuck with declining years. Make sense?

Hamilton, according to fangraphs, has had only only season where he was worth more than $20 mm, in 2010. Considering all his baggage and possibility of a catastrophic relapse, I'd be against signing him for any deal that was more than $20 mm/yr. Sorry guys, but that's just the way I'm wired. I don't believe in grossly overpaying, even for potentially high-impact talent.
I'm guessing that you'd get value from Hamilton for 5/100 M. I'd rather pay him 3/75 though. On the one hand you don't want the risk of a big contract burden down the road, and on the other we need to seriously upgrade the offense, among other things, if we hope to repeat 2012.

Actually, most feel he will get 25 mil per year. 5x25=125. I think he has 3 really good years left, and by the 4th, will probably be average. Id rather pay more per year for lesser years, then to get stuck with that 5th year at 25 mil. If in the 4th l, hes atleast average, you could probably trade him, and get something back, if you eat some salary. In the end, your paying a little more for a higher level of performance, and taking away some of the risk of getting stuck with declining years. Make sense?

I know what you're saying and I agree.

Can you back one single word of this with any factual evidence?

He was "dogging it"?? That seems to imply that he "wasn't trying" vs just being in a slump. Again, if you can back that up with one shred of evidence to suggest that was the case be my guest. Unreal the vitriol for a guy for all those who don't want him.

If you want some real "facts" about Hamilton and his MLB career, I can give you a whole bunch that don't rely on anecdotal evidence or rank speculation.

Archived