Report: Morosi says a source links us with Hamilton and Ross

Conway12

He did make a few bad plays in the outfield and proceeded to jog after the ball nonchalantly and got blasted for it in the media. His quote about the chewing tobacco is easily googled. Those things are facts. The rest is my opinion and based on what I remember reading about him.

You can attack my "clubhouse chemistry" claim if you want and that's fine because it's clearly the most opinion-based claim in my post. But here are the facts: He comes with a ton of baggage and he's injury prone and over 30 years old. He will absolutely be paid more than he's worth for far too many years than he'll be useful.

Here's a good one chunk of what I'm talking about:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8477213/josh-hamilton-story-fall-texas-rangers

Doesn't this just sound like more of a pain in the ass than it's worth?

You can say, at times it looked bad. I put the hitting slump, on Josh tdying too hard to carry the team,. Much like Adam did with us.

The "caffeine" thing, is overblown. Brian McCann suffered the same thing. It didnt get all the negative press. If Hamilton didnt have the past he had, none of these would be issues imo.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He did make a few bad plays in the outfield and proceeded to jog after the ball nonchalantly and got blasted for it in the media. His quote about the chewing tobacco is easily googled. Those things are facts. The rest is my opinion and based on what I remember reading about him.

You can attack my "clubhouse chemistry" claim if you want and that's fine because it's clearly the most opinion-based claim in my post. But here are the facts: He comes with a ton of baggage and he's injury prone and over 30 years old. He will absolutely be paid more than he's worth for far too many years than he'll be useful.

Here's a good one chunk of what I'm talking about:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8477213/josh-hamilton-story-fall-texas-rangers

Doesn't this just sound like more of a pain in the ass than it's worth?

The first part is all that matters. I don't personally care for your second point.

Right. It's a 149 at bats, so that's not any more valuable than knowing he only has an .823 OPS with just a runner on 3rd, or that he has a .788 in the 7th inning, or a 1.012 against the White Sox.

Yepper. Hamilton has been a premier hitter for many years and I would take his overall record over any segmented measurements in a heartbeat.

Agreed. If your going to spend 55000 on a car, you may aswell get all the bells and whistles for 60000.

Problem is that Hamilton is a Jaguar. Hell of a nice car, great performance, awesome looks. But you spend waaaaaaayyyy too much of your time admiring your $60k from the waiting room of the local British car mechanic. And in three years you end up selling it on Craigslist for half of blue book.

You can say, at times it looked bad. I put the hitting slump, on Josh tdying too hard to carry the team,. Much like Adam did with us.

The "caffeine" thing, is overblown. Brian McCann suffered the same thing. It didnt get all the negative press. If Hamilton didnt have the past he had, none of these would be issues imo.

Well, obviously. Brian McCann didn't have a past track record of an off-the-charts substance abuse problem. Of course he's going to treated differently, as he should be. If you had a clean driving record then got a ticket for going 75 in a 65, they're going to look at it differently than if you got that ticket after three wreckless driving arrests in 2005-07.

Well, obviously. Brian McCann didn't have a past track record of an off-the-charts substance abuse problem. Of course he's going to treated differently, as he should be. If you had a clean driving record then got a ticket for going 75 in a 65, they're going to look at it differently than if you got that ticket after three wreckless driving arrests in 2005-07.

McCann suffered from the same thing, comparing it to a traffic infraction again makes it seem as if Hamilton was doing something illegal.

It was a medical condition brought on by too much caffeine. Know anyone who drinks a lot of coffee at work?

McCann suffered from the same thing, comparing it to a traffic infraction again makes it seem as if Hamilton was doing something illegal.

It was a medical condition brought on by too much caffeine. Know anyone who drinks a lot of coffee at work?

So, no concerns at all if the dude in the next cube drinks 11 Red Bulls a day, and, oh by the way, had a huge coke problem five years ago?

I don't really have that issue at work since dudes with drug problems, even in the past, don't get security clearances and don't work where I work.

Problem is that Hamilton is a Jaguar. Hell of a nice car, great performance, awesome looks. But you spend waaaaaaayyyy too much of your time admiring your $60k from the waiting room of the local British car mechanic. And in three years you end up selling it on Craigslist for half of blue book.

That's why I stick with american muscle cars. You can work on them yourself. Don't need to hook a computer up to it.

So you think that DD was telling a lie when he said he would not sign expensive FA?

Not entirely. Whats he supposed to do? Drool over Josh Hamilton in the media. That sure doesn't help your bargaining position. Besides, what does DD consider expensive? Hamilton at 8/200 might be expensive, but 5/125 might be a reasonable value. We don't know how DD is defining expensive.

So, no concerns at all if the dude in the next cube drinks 11 Red Bulls a day, and, oh by the way, had a huge coke problem five years ago?

I don't really have that issue at work since dudes with drug problems, even in the past, don't get security clearances and don't work where I work.

Like I said, if Hamilton didn't have a past, it wouldn't be an issue. I know a guy, that has a security clearance, who had drug problems as a youth. Since it was as a minor, it's not on his record. Since it doesn't show up as an adult, it never happened? I don't know what level of clearance you have, so maybe they dig deeper. Fortunately, you don't need to get a security clearance, to bat 4th and play LF for the Baltimore Orioles ;)

I hear you, but to me you can't completely separate performance from baggage. Sometimes baggage effects performance, you know?

So I'm saying not only will his performance decline, his baggage could compound the issue and make his performance decline (or even stop completely) even more quickly.

In short, though I took a round about and kind of admittedly abrasive route to it, Josh Hamilton is simply too risky for my blood. And I don't think he's as high on the O's list as Morosi thinks anyway. He's on the list, sure.

That said, I'd obviously root like hell for the guy if he's ever an Oriole.

Eh, depends on how much of a discount that baggage gets us.

Seeing as he's asking for 7/$175, it's not looking good. But we'll see. If he can be had for 3, I'm in. Anything more, I'm out. Someone will give him 5 or 6 and it won't be the Orioles.

That's probably more the agent asking high, and they'll negotiate down. You can go down, but it's tough to go up.

I am seriously starting to doubt your credibility if you tell me where you work they don't give out security clearances based on caffeine intake. :rolleyes:

Archived