Orioles have inquired about Josh Willingham and Billy Butler

CA-ORIOLE

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to have Billy Butler. Has an excellent bat, gets on base, and is only 26. His OBP, and OPS the past couple of years are higher then any Oriole. Him in the line up hitting behind Markakis would be fantastic. Good on base guy from the left side followed by a good on base guy from the right. Both are great double hitters. He only had 1 bad month 2012, and he still had a 357 OBP. I would take him any day over a streaky player like Reynolds or Davis.

So so far we have heard about Willingham, Butler, Ross, Hamilton, Kinsler, Swisher, Reynolds, and a couple others. DD sure keeps his options open, and I do like that.

For the record, I would LOVE to get Butler. He would be such a beast of a cleanup hitter for us, and at 26 years old, the contract part of it doesn't worry me. What scares the hell out of me is who we need to send to Kansas City to make them feel comfortable moving their best hitter who is only 26 years old.

Why would any one suggest giving up Davis in the trade for Butler? That totally defeats the purpose... Davis is young and under control and a power bat. The point is to get him better protection and improve OBP. Put Butler behind Davis in the order and Davis gets better pitches to hit. Huge improvement over having Reynolds hit behind him.

I see Reynolds being stubborn coming off a very bad year at the plate and not being resigned....

I like this trade if it can be made at the right price and would be a huge offensive improvement.

It's no secret that the Orioles like Butler, 26, and check into his availability each winter. Showalter would gladly plug him into the middle of the lineup. And who wouldn't want a player with the nickname "Country Breakfast?"

Butler is due to make $16 million over the next two seasons, and the Royals hold a $12.5 million option for 2015 with a $1 million buyout.

Butler made 20 starts at first base this year, committing three errors, and 11 in 2011. He's mainly a DH now, but he's not Jim Thome.

The Orioles need to formulate a plan for first base in case they lose Mark Reynolds, who could be non-tendered and test the free-agent waters. Davis is an option, though he must prove that he's capable defensively.

Butler is on the Orioles' radar, as usual. Maybe one of these days, he'll actually be on the team.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/11/butler-does-it-for-the-orioles.html

Butler is redundant with Davis on the team. Redundancy isn't a bad thing, but I'm willing to pay so much for it. It is unlikely Butler is available at an acceptable price.

Willingham...ugh...rather stick with Reimold/Nate/Avery.

But at the right price and in the right situation, a worthwhile player.

For this reason, I think the deal would have to include Davis... plus probably Matusz/Britton, Schoop, and a couple lesser knowns. I do like the lineup with him, but keep in mind BB is a FA after 2014.

Also. This.

Because you have to give something to get something. Davis could be s desirable replacement for Butler. Butler is a superior hitter to Davis and your middle of the order hitter. If you think Butler makes Davis a better hitter then maybe you can make that case. I don't think that's true. Davis won't get better pitches to hit because pitchers still know that he'll chase bad pitches. I think it's a chance to seel high on Davis IF the Royals are even interested. It makes some sense to the Royals to somewhat replace Butler's bat. It makes sense for the Orioles because they can put McLouth in LF, Reynolds at 1B, and maintain the good defense they had in the 2nd half while putting Butlers superior bat at DH and in the middle of the lineup.

Sure, you could put a different player in the deal and keep Davis, put him at 1B, and not resign Reynolds. This was just one scenario.

Because you have to give something to get something. Davis could be s desirable replacement for Butler. Butler is a superior hitter to Davis and your middle of the order hitter. If you think Butler makes Davis a better hitter then maybe you can make that case. I don't think that's true. Davis won't get better pitches to hit because pitchers still know that he'll chase bad pitches. I think it's a chance to seel high on Davis IF the Royals are even interested. It makes some sense to the Royals to somewhat replace Butler's bat. It makes sense for the Orioles because they can put McLouth in LF, Reynolds at 1B, and maintain the good defense they had in the 2nd half while putting Butlers superior bat at DH and in the middle of the lineup.

Sure, you could put a different player in the deal and keep Davis, put him at 1B, and not resign Reynolds. This was just one scenario.

Personally id give up Davis if i dont have to give up too much more... say Davis/Arrieta and a ctype prospect. I would be sure to try to resign McLouth and try to get and the player for 1B/LF. Id be okay with Reynolds but id like to do better. Hamilton if Angelos is up for it. And he just more might be. Then the Os could add 1 starter pick your poison id be ok with Saunders. Id think we'd have a good shot at going deep next season... which should be Pete's goal considering his age.

KC's whole reason for trading Butler is to get back starting pitching. I just thought Davis might be a piece of the puzzle. You are certainly going to have to give them someone like Chen, Tillman, Gonzalez, or Matusz.

I mentioned something like Matusz/Britton, Arrieta/Johnson, Schoop, and B type. Id interchange Schoop with Avery/Hoes or give them ine of them guys in place of the prospect. Hoes or Avery could be attractive because of nearly ready/years of control/ etc etc

I mentioned something like Matusz/Britton, Arrieta/Johnson, Schoop, and B type. Id interchange Schoop with Avery/Hoes or give them ine of them guys in place of the prospect. Hoes or Avery could be attractive because of nearly ready/years of control/ etc etc

So your deal might be Britton, Steve Johnson, and Avery? Who are we trading for? Bruce Chen

Archived