Orioles have inquired about Josh Willingham and Billy Butler

CA-ORIOLE

Yeah, I'm not sure why so many seam down on Willingham. Even discounting last year, he's been very consistent since the age of 30 and in mostly pitcher friendly parks. Nice contract for two years.

Well Willingham's best year OPS wise happens to be this year .890 he's been a +800 OPS guy for six years. He's a .260 hitter with a K/BB ratio of 2/1. His slg was also a career high at .524 when he's actually a .483 career. Honeslty he's not close to the hitter Hamilton is .... Hamilton is a +900 OPS hitter over the same period. He's a .304 hitter over the same period with a K/BB rate of 3/1 rate. Hamilton had a .574 SLG this season and his average is only slightly lower at .549.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Settle down, just a little humor. I simply think it's going to cost a lot more to trade for a true MOO under contract for 3 more seasons. Yes, 2SP's, Schoop, and Delmonico might be a good place to start. My point was, Schoop as part of the cost is probably much closer than a package that excludes him and replaces him with Avery/Hoes.

That's not what I said ..... (note I was on my droid and ONE looked like this "ine"

"Id interchange Schoop with Avery/Hoes or give them one of them guys in place of the prospect. Hoes or Avery could be attractive because of nearly ready/years of control/ etc etc"

Yes, 2SP's, Schoop, and Delmonico might be a good place to start

Never start where you'd like to end up :D

Well Willingham's best year OPS wise happens to be this year .890 he's been a +800 OPS guy for six years. He's a .260 hitter with a K/BB ratio of 2/1. His slg was also a career high at .524 when he's actually a .483 career. Honeslty he's not close to the hitter Hamilton is .... Hamilton is a +900 OPS hitter over the same period. He's a .304 hitter over the same period with a K/BB rate of 3/1 rate. Hamilton had a .574 SLG this season and his average is only slightly lower at .549.

Well, I never implied that Willingham was a better hitter than Hamilton. The implication was that Willingham is a very good hitter for a good contract and potentially low price. Willingham has a career OPS of 845 with high OBP, while Hamilton has an OPS of 858 away from Texas. Willingham has a career wRC+ of 126, Hamilton has a career wRC+ of 135. I'd say they are closer than what the raw stats say. Park factor does matter.

He set career highs in HRs, RBIs, and SLG at age 33. He's going to be 34 on opening day, and is unlikely to repeat that performance. He's going to cost us 14 mil and several legitimate prospects because MIN is going to want to be paid as though his 2012 numbers were not an aberration. Why overpay for a slightly above average player heading into his declining years?

You should understand that Willingham is very cheap at 2/$14mm. He's about a 2.5 WAR/yr player who consistently puts up an OPS over .800. I'd have interest in him but it would depend on how much the Twins expected in return.

You should understand that Willingham is very cheap at 2/$14mm. He's about a 2.5 WAR/yr player who consistently puts up an OPS over .800. I'd have interest in him but it would depend on how much the Twins expected in return.

I wanted the O's to sign Willingham last offseason. He will cost a lot prospect wise.

What do you think they'd want for Willingham?

Im not sure, not too good at valueing prospects. But if Willingham was a FA, hed be the 2nd best hitter on the market. At 7 mil per, teams would line up to get him. Id say they would want a Schoop, Hoes/Avery, Britton type package.

Im not sure, not too good at valueing prospects. But if Willingham was a FA, hed be the 2nd best hitter on the market. At 7 mil per, teams would line up to get him. I'd say they would want a Schoop, Hoes/Avery, Britton type package.

Schoop won't happen. The Twins do seem to like guys like Avery/Hoes though. I'd definitely offer up Arrieta as well. Maybe another lower level prospect. As well as being 34, Willingham is a liability in the OF and I'd be looking at him as a primary DH.

Schoop won't happen. The Twins do seem to like guys like Avery/Hoes though. I'd definitely offer up Arrieta as well. Maybe another lower level prospect. As well as being 34, Willingham is a liability in the OF and I'd be looking at him as a primary DH.

Your probably right about Schoop. Though I remember at the july deadline, reports were saying the Twins were asking for the moon for Willingham. If im giving up Schoop though, it has to be for a guy like Butler.

Butler would cost about the same as Reynolds salary wise. So id love to get Butler and sign Hamilton.

1. Markakis RF

2. Hardy SS

3. Butler DH

4. Hamilton LF

5. Jones CF

6. Wieters C

7. Davis 1B

8. Machado 3B

9. Casilla/Flaherty 2B

Any improved lineup for 2013 doesn't have Hardy in the 2 spot.

Butler would cost about the same as Reynolds salary wise. So id love to get Butler and sign Hamilton.

1. Markakis RF

2. Hardy SS

3. Butler DH

4. Hamilton LF

5. Jones CF

6. Wieters C

7. Davis 1B

8. Machado 3B

9. Casilla/Flaherty 2B

Could we at least make the fantasy complete and move JJ out of the two spot? :D

This looks better to me....

1. Markakis RF

2. Jones CF

3. Hamilton LF

4. Butler DH

5. Wieters C

6. Davis 1B

7. Hardy SS

8. Machado 3B

9. Casilla/Flaherty 2B

The last two spots can be flipped depending whether a R or LH is throwing.

That is an absolutely disgusting lineup. Somehow we managed to add even more HR's to the 2nd leading team in HR's in the MLB. I think I would switch Butler and Hamilton though, due to OBP.

Archived