Orioles talking to Uehara about return

Roll Tide

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Considering Uehara's effectiveness, I'm not sure if we're going to be able to afford him. Look at what Affeldt is likely going to get in his deal:

Affeldt looking to return for 3 years to Giants

A 3/18 deal seems awfully high for a guy who pitched 61 innings last year.

Affeldt is 33 ...While Koji is 37 ... I dont think he'll get anymore than 2 years and dont see him getting 6 million per.

I certainly would entertain it...but it ain't gonna happen. Trading JJ right now would be something Tampa Bay would do.
You say that like it is a bad thing.

His value probably won't ever be higher. There is a growing feeling around the league that you don't need established closers to fil that role either. The Angels, for example, need a closer but have said they are looking for the best available reliever to fit their need.

May never be a better time to sell "high". Personally, I think we have other guys who could step into that role including a guy named Stu. Koji would be great as a 7th inning guy.

His value probably won't ever be higher. There is a growing feeling around the league that you don't need established closers to fil that role either. The Angels, for example, need a closer but have said they are looking for the best available reliever to fit their need.

May never be a better time to sell "high". Personally, I think we have other guys who could step into that role including a guy named Stu. Koji would be great as a 7th inning guy.

Agree with this line of thinking wholeheartedly. JJ has been great for us, but I think we could find a closer with who we have AND turn JJ into some nice, young talent.

I would very much be in favor of trading JJ for a king's ransom if it's possible. I wish Buck would just match up with the bullpen and go with the hot hand as opposed to having a "closer". I know he made it seem like this would be his approach in the beginning with his "I like the win rule better than the save rule" or something to that effect.

Archived