Matt Hobgood - is there hope? (No, there is not. Indy League bound.)

McLovin

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the above

Hobgood was listed at 265 pounds last year, but says he got down to 250. His conditioning came into question early in his professional career, but shedding weight didn't improve the condition of his shoulder. Now he's 258 pounds with 11 percent body fat.

"I used to be in the teens somewhere. I know this is the lowest I've been," said Hobgood, who stands 6 foot 4.

This could be one of the best stories of the spring for the Os, but these reports are really vague. I had no problem with the Hobgood pick at the time if that was the best route in Joe Jordan's judgement.

It would be nice to know if some of the optimism in these articles is realistic or misplaced. Is Hobgood expected to regain his former velocity or are we going to see a RHP struggle to get the radar gun to 88-89? I imagine we should get an idea in the next few weeks. If Matt can get the velo to 92-93, that would be something to get excited about, IMO.

Regarding the fitness, it seems Hobgood has taken some major strides and perhaps maturity to get down to 11% body fat from where he used to be so he should be applauded for that. We know he was working out with Bundy. I have little expertise in the area, but I find 258 lbs to still be at least or about 20 lbs too much for a 6'4" pitcher.

I think the O's brass gives him the season to 1. build arm strength and 2. see if can stay healthy.

Shoulders have wildly disparate recovery paths. Take Patton for instance...it appeared he was done/washed up and it took a few years, but he has found his path as effective reliever.

I think the O's brass gives him the season to 1. build arm strength and 2. see if can stay healthy. After the year can re-assess if conversion to hitter makes sense.

What I heard from folks at Twin Lakes is that he is considered to be rehabbing. Dan Klein is even further back on that trek. I heard their names mentioned together several times though. I did see Matt. He looked a lot like I remember him. Good Luck to him. The media created this buzz, not the Orioles.

What I mean by this, is he is not receiving specialized attention from the Orioles staff because of his former status or bonus. He's one of the pitchers. Like Mychal Givens.

The press like to write about him because of the tail of his comet.

I wish someone would say how the heck he looked. 80-85% of what? I know they are talking about how much effort he was using but more info would be nice. Are we talking about the mid to upper 90s guy with a real hammer or the guy we saw since he signed?

Our system sure would get a shot in the arm if he showed himself to be a 1st round talent this year.

He was not throwing as hard as I have seen him throw, but it was supposedly 80 percent effort. He says he is pain free. But then three years ago he told me he was down to 250 and his arm felt great. So there is that.

I did not mention Matt in the Weams List thread, because I was not part of his side show and I think it best just to let the guy become whatever it is that he can be. We have a lot of guys competing for the glimmer of a hope. I'd rather talk about Petrini myself.

I did not mention Matt in the Weams List thread, because I was not part of his side show and I think it best just to let the guy become whatever it is that he can be. We have a lot of guys competing for the glimmer of a hope. I'd rather talk about Petrini myself.

I am interested in how Givens looks.

As long as he isn't using up a spot on the 40 man I am all for giving him as many chances as he needs.

I think he'd need to be on the 40-man next year or be exposed to the Rule 5 draft, right? But it seems hugely unlike that he'd be claimed even if he shows he's healthy, because he's not ready for the majors next April no matter what happens this season.

For me, if we could get 50-80 innings from him this year and he looked OK, I'd be satisfied that it's worthwhile keeping him in the organization.

Archived