Matt Hobgood - is there hope? (No, there is not. Indy League bound.)

McLovin

Unless he shows a considerable jump in velocity this year, I would think that it would be highly unlikely that a team would take a change on him in the Rule 5 draft. A guy with currently below average stuff who hasn't pitched above low A isn't someone a team would be willing to keep on the big league roster for a full season.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did not mention Matt in the Weams List thread, because I was not part of his side show and I think it best just to let the guy become whatever it is that he can be. We have a lot of guys competing for the glimmer of a hope. I'd rather talk about Petrini myself.

I've seen a lot of hateful, personal insults hurled in Hobgood's direction. He didn't draft himself, he didn't ask for the media attention, he didn't ask for the public scrutiny...he's a young man trying to live the dream. Granted, he's an adult and chose to become a (well-compensated) professional athlete, but he's still a human being. We as fans can forget that sometimes, so I applaud you for your approach/opinion.

Any updates on how he did on any of his throw days since the first session?

No one is talking about him. Dan Duquette commented on just how many arms we have in camp that have high upside. I did hear Dan and Oliver Drake speak about Oliver switching to Flaherty's personal trainer.

Hobgood does not have a "Rabbi" in the organisation. Andy and Joe are gone. No one to try and force an outcome for him. I get the feeling that he will get the opportunities that all of the other guys he is with are getting.

Hobgood does not have a "Rabbi" in the organisation. Andy and Joe are gone. No one to try and force an outcome for him. I get the feeling that he will get the opportunities that all of the other guys he is with are getting.

That's the way it should be. He initially had the talent to be a 1st Round pick, but that was 4 years ago. It's up to Matt to be responsible for his success.

That's the way it should be. He initially had the talent to be a 1st Round pick, but that was 4 years ago. It's up to Matt to be responsible for his success.

Dan Duquette is very happy with his minor league pitching depth.

Dan Duquette is very happy with his minor league pitching depth.

I'd feel better about the depth if there was someone besides EdRod after the Big 2. There are a few long shots, but nobody with a decent chance. If the player development can improve, we should have a great opportunity to build through the draft.

Ha, How was he ever getting special treatment?

Not tryng to be sarcastic Weams, but who does Duquette consider "all the arms with high upside". Bundy and Gausman are considered possible aces. Anyone else with that kind of upside? Is he still talking about Britton, Arrieta, Matusz, and company?

Eduardo Rodriguez

Ha, How was he ever getting special treatment?

Not tryng to be sarcastic Weams, but who does Duquette consider "all the arms with high upside". Bundy and Gausman are considered possible aces. Anyone else with that kind of upside? Is he still talking about Britton, Arrieta, Matusz, and company?

No. Dan likes several of the arms on Tony's prospect list. A couple of the upside guys from years past and some of the recent drafties. He has so many pitches in minor league camp.

• 2 weeks later...
Looks very promising so far.

Steve Melewski ‏@masnSteve

Matt Hobgood says his arm feels good. Velo right now is 88-90 but docs told him more will come back in time. Pitched scoreless inn. today.

He told me his arm feels good, He told Doc Shorebird his arm felt good. Be he has told me that before. I hope it is true.

Archived