Olney thinks Jonny Gomes and the O's could be a fit.

Greg

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Intriguing. He MASHES LHPs. Not much of a hitter vs RHPs. Career .894 OPS vs LHPs to .732 vs RHPs. Below average fielder at LF and RF.

If he's willing to come here and just hit vs LHPs for a reasonable contract, then cool. He's much better than Steve Pearce. Maybe a platoon with McLouth or Betemit.

LF/DH combo of McLouth/Betemit vs RHPs and Reimold/Gomes vs LHPs, with Reimold getting starts vs RHP occasionally until he gets hurt again. Interesting possibility.

Words cannot express how much I hate this "bargain bin" mentality. Makes me sick.

Bargain bins got you into the playoffs last year. Not saying this is the only way we should be filling holes, and I seriously doubt we sign Jonny Gomes of all people, but there are other ways to be competitive other than signing the best available player at every position of need.

Intriguing. He MASHES LHPs. Not much of a hitter vs RHPs. Career .894 OPS vs LHPs to .732 vs RHPs. Below average fielder at LF and RF.

If he's willing to come here and just hit vs LHPs for a reasonable contract, then cool. He's much better than Steve Pearce. Maybe a platoon with McLouth or Betemit.

LF/DH combo of McLouth/Betemit vs RHPs and Reimold/Gomes vs LHPs, with Reimold getting starts vs RHP occasionally until he gets hurt again. Interesting possibility.

What has Reimold done to prove that's a likely scenerio? Who's assuming now? ;):)

Bargain bins got you into the playoffs last year. Not saying this is the only way we should be filling holes, and I seriously doubt we sign Jonny Gomes of all people, but there are other ways to be competitive other than signing the best available player at every position of need.

You're right ...But only a fool would expect lightning to strike twice.

I don't think anyone's asking for DD to sign the best player available at every position of need. Just give us one. Hamilton fills a need for an upgrade in LF while giving them the true MOB they desperately need.

Sounds like he's the other half of Betemit. Not a bad option, that could get an .820-.850 OPS out of the DH spot.

This is what I was thinking. If the Orioles somehow end up with Davis at 1B, no Reynolds, and no full time DH from outside the organization than a Betemit/Gomes platoon at DH makes a lot of sense. If DH is filled by Davis or someone else (ie. Butler) than Gomes isn't really a fit.

It has little to do with a "bargain bin" mentality.

I agree; he would have to agree to a reduced role as a platoon player vs. LHP. Plus, he would have to take lesser money. It would be a bad, bad idea to sign this guy to a middling 2-3 year contract and trot him out there full time.

What has Reimold done to prove that's a likely scenerio? Who's assuming now? ;):)

I'm not assuming he will be healthy. I'm saying that if he is healthy, he should be given ABs, because he's a good hitter. He shouldn't be depended on to help us all year, but while he is around, he should be given plenty of opportunities.

Archived