Olney thinks Jonny Gomes and the O's could be a fit.

Greg

I'm not assuming he will be healthy. I'm saying that if he is healthy, he should be given ABs, because he's a good hitter. He shouldn't be depended on to help us all year, but while he is around, he should be given plenty of opportunities.

I'm just messin with ya. I hope the O's agree that Reimold shouldn't be counted on.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not sustainable. There's a reason why all the successful teams don't do it. It's alright to fill your bench that way, but anything else is asking to have a mediocre team. Look what raiding the bargain bin has done for the Pirates and Royals, and us before last year.

How many times have the Royals or Pirates had a 100M dollar payroll? We're about to have that this year, our roster is not as cheap as many people are making it out to be.

It's not sustainable. There's a reason why all the successful teams don't do it. It's alright to fill your bench that way, but anything else is asking to have a mediocre team. Look what raiding the bargain bin has done for the Pirates and Royals, and us before last year.

A Betemit/Gomes platoon would have had a .907 OPS last season in 419 at bats if I did my math right. They would probably do less than that in a real platoon since sometimes one or the other would have to bat against his splits, but you get the point. It doesn't matter if they aren't name guys or don't cost a lot, that is good production.

The Yankees had Freddy Garcia and Bartolo Colon in 2011. They made a combined $2.4 million for a Yankee team that won 97 games. There are plenty of other examples just like that of good teams signing lesser named guys to small contracts and succeeding with them (not in spite of them).

I have never really liked Gomes, though I can't really put my finger on why. I guess if we sign him, we aren't re-signing Reynolds, right?

Is it because you hate feel good stories?

Of all things someone needs to ask DD... I'd like to know if the organization views CD as a viable option at 1B. That would clear up a lot of speculation imop.

If Davis is our full-time DH next year when if ever would Betemit get any plate appearances? Guy is a lame duck. Would be nice if we could trade Betemit then sign Gomes to take over his spot so we would be less vulnerable to left handed pitching in 2013.

McClouth/Gomes (LF) + Davis/Gomes (DH)

2 of your bench players are DHs ...poor fielders

It would really only be one bench player (whoever isn't DH'ing that particular game). There would still theoretically be room for a strong defensive OF'er, a UTL infielder, and a backup catcher on a four man bench. It is still probably not ideal if defensive flexibility from the bench is really important, but there would still be room to work around it even if Gomes is signed. If Reimold was also on the bench (with McLouth or someone else in LF) then the bench would start to get somewhat crowded with defensive question marks.

2 of your bench players are DHs ...poor fielders

No, one of the bench players is a DH. The other is starting.

What's wrong with a bench of Reimold, Gomes, Casilla, and Teagarden? None of our IFs are platoon guys, so Casilla should only be a late-inning or injury replacement. If a LHP comes in to face Betemit or McLouth, then Gomes hits for them, and Reimold goes and plays LF if necessary. I don't see a big problem. Reimold isn't a very good defender, but that's really not a big problem. It's not like we have to put Betemit in LF.

No, one of the bench players is a DH. The other is starting.

What's wrong with a bench of Reimold (injury liability so/so fielder), Gomes (poor fielder), Casilla, and Teagarden? None of our IFs are platoon guys, so Casilla should only be a late-inning or injury replacement. If a LHP comes in to face Betemit (poor Fielder) or McLouth, then Gomes hits for them, and Reimold goes and plays LF if necessary. I don't see a big problem. Reimold isn't a very good defender, but that's really not a big problem. It's not like we have to put Betemit in LF.

letters .....

letters .....

Scenario One: Betemit would be the DH. Gomes would be pinch-hitting for him at DH. No fielding involved.

Scenario Two: McLouth would be the LF. Gomes would be pinch-hitting for him at LF. Whomever the bench OF is, would come in and play defense. If not Reimold, then maybe Hoes, Avery, Ford, Davis, whomever else DD scrounges up over the course of the year. Is one inning of mediocre LF defense a big concern for this team?

I think it should be changed to Olney thinks that Gomes would "fit in" with all the other Orioles. Why do we need another "crush it or miss it" type. This guy strikes out once every 3 ABs. Some of those type of guys are good in a lineup, but not up and down the lineup like the current O's lineup. The O's need contact/OBP type guys to complement the power that we already have. Gomes doesn't come close to filling that need. My opinion, he is a horrible fit for the current O's lineup.

Archived