Olney thinks Jonny Gomes and the O's could be a fit.

Greg

What about the 6 years before that where he was usually around league average for OBP with a high strike out rate and. I always look at the whole picture, not one year with 279 ABs. Sometimes, it pays off for a team to pick up a player coming off a great year, but often it doesn't work out well. Will we get the 2009 or 2012 edition of Gomes or do we get the 2008 or 2011 edition. If we get the 2011 edition, by mid-season people will be screaming for a trade or release. He can't field, so he would become a one-dimensional flop.

His career OBP vs. LHP is .382

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did I say that??? Did I say that all contact hitters have good OBP, because I don't see one place that I said that. You tell me one place where I said that contact = OBP. No. I am referring to a person that has BOTH qualities. That is why I put both qualities together. That type of player does exist and that is what the Orioles need. The O's lineup showed holes during the regular season and in the post season because it lacks good OBP guys that also put the ball in play. The O's lineup depends to much on homeruns to score runs. Players like Reynolds are OBP guys, but are lacking in moving the runners, etc. The Orioles had the fewest ABs with runners in scoring position in the majors this year. WHY? Strikeouts do happen and are a part of the game, but when the lineup is loaded with those type of hitters, it tends to not move runners and it tends to kill rallies. The O's need to restore a little balance in the lineup and Gomes does not do that.

The Orioles made productive outs 30% of the time, compared to league average 32%, in 541 opportunities. So, that's 11 fewer times they advanced a runner. They also advanced a runner from 2B with nobody out 59% of the time, compared to 56% league average; and advanced a runner from 3B with less than 2 outs 55% of the time, compared to league average 52% of the time. It's pretty hard to look at those three stats and conclude that strikeouts hurt the Orioles offense in any material way. The lack of RISP opportunities is primarily a function of low OBP, not failure to move runners over. The lack of stolen bases also had a lot to do with it.

The Orioles made productive outs 30% of the time, compared to league average 32%, in 541 opportunities. So, that's 11 fewer times they advanced a runner. They also advanced a runner from 2B with nobody out 59% of the time, compared to 56% league average; and advanced a runner from 3B with less than 2 outs 55% of the time, compared to league average 52% of the time. It's pretty hard to look at those three stats and conclude that strikeouts hurt the Orioles offense in any material way. The lack of RISP opportunities is primarily a function of low OBP, not failure to move runners over. The lack of stolen bases also had a lot to do with it.

It is a losing proposition trying to talk reason with the anti-strikeout crowd. They don't hear it, the whoosh of the ball going past the hitter drowns it out.

It is a losing proposition trying to talk reason with the anti-strikeout crowd. They don't hear it, the whoosh of the ball going past the hitter drowns it out.

Im not arguing k's with you or WC.... as miserable as they seemed moving runners, hitting a sac fly, and the numerous times i recall stranding runners inning aftet inning its hard to imagine were better than league avg even if slightly.

You can (in theory) platoon Reimold/McLouth in LF, and Gomes/Betemit at DH.

This would be optimal. I guess you are thinking that Chris Davis is going to be our first baseman?

Player Roster (assuming 11 pitchers):

C - Wieters, Teagarden

1B - Davis

2B - Casilla/Roberts

3B - Machado

SS - Hardy

RF - Markakis

CF - Jones

LF - McLouth/Reimold

DH - Betemit/Gomes

Utility - Andino

Does that look about right?

This would be optimal. I guess you are thinking that Chris Davis is going to be our first baseman?

Player Roster (assuming 11 pitchers):

C - Wieters, Teagarden

1B - Davis

2B - Casilla/Roberts

3B - Machado

SS - Hardy

RF - Markakis

CF - Jones

LF - McLouth/Reimold

DH - Betemit/Gomes

Utility - Andino

Does that look about right?

Why do you assume 11 pitchers? I'd switch out Dino for a 7th RP.

The '12 Orioles team leader in OPS vs lefties was Wieters with .908. Gomes had .974. We had a two-way tie in Home Runs vs lefties, Davis and Jones both with 7. Gomes had 11. These numbers aren't really sufficiently outside of his career slash vs lefties to suggest that this was a fluke. Gomes doesn't seem to know how to operate a baseball glove effectively, and he is one of the least sexy pickups imaginable, but there's no getting around the fact that he's a solid situational pickup if you have some active interest in improving your lineup against lefties.

That said, Gomes feels a little redundant if Reimold comes back healthy, doubly so if we retain McLouth and are considering keeping Davis at DH. I feel like a Gomes signing suggests we may be moving away from McLouth, possibly Reynolds, or aren't confident that Reimold can come back healthy. My gut tells me that Gomes isn't just a spare guy here, but the start of a contingency plan. Don't know if I'm reading into it too far, and it could just be a desire to beef their lineups against lefties, but it makes you think a little bit. This isn't exactly a player we NEED. Got a lot of clumsy sometimes-power hitters on the active roster already.

The '12 Orioles team leader in OPS vs lefties was Wieters with .908. Gomes had .974. We had a two-way tie in Home Runs vs lefties, Davis and Jones both with 7. Gomes had 11. These numbers aren't really sufficiently outside of his career slash vs lefties to suggest that this was a fluke. Gomes doesn't seem to know how to operate a baseball glove effectively, and he is one of the least sexy pickups imaginable, but there's no getting around the fact that he's a solid situational pickup if you have some active interest in improving your lineup against lefties.

That said, Gomes feels a little redundant if Reimold comes back healthy, doubly so if we retain McLouth and are considering keeping Davis at DH. I feel like a Gomes signing suggests we may be moving away from McLouth, possibly Reynolds, or aren't confident that Reimold can come back healthy. My gut tells me that Gomes isn't just a spare guy here, but the start of a contingency plan. Don't know if I'm reading into it too far, and it could just be a desire to beef their lineups against lefties, but it makes you think a little bit. This isn't exactly a player we NEED. Got a lot of clumsy sometimes-power hitters on the active roster already.

Id say Gomes is the RH part of a Betemit/RH DH platoon. I doubt Davis AND Reynolds are on the team next year. It will be one or the other.

Eh, the A's go out and get a quality guy like Young for almost nothing, and we get stuck with their sloppy left-overs.

Chris Young 2012: Batting Average .231 14HRs 41RBI .311OBP

Jonny Gomes 2012: Batting Average .262 18HRs 47RBI .377OBP

Just something to think about before you refer to Chris Young as a STEAL and Gomes as sloppy left-overs. Not to mention Gomes made $1 Million when Young made $5.6...

Archived