Olney thinks Jonny Gomes and the O's could be a fit.

Greg

Chris Young 2012: Batting Average .231 14HRs 41RBI .311OBP

Jonny Gomes 2012: Batting Average .262 18HRs 47RBI .377OBP

Just something to think about before you refer to Chris Young as a STEAL and Gomes as sloppy left-overs. Not to mention Gomes made $1 Million when Young made $5.6...

Young is an above-average defensive CF and Gomes is essentially a DH. You have to take that into account when comparing offensive numbers as well. I'm sure the A's are hoping that Young bounces back after a rough year last year as well.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Young is an above-average defensive CF and Gomes is essentially a DH. You have to take that into account when comparing offensive numbers as well. I'm sure the A's are hoping that Young bounces back after a rough year last year as well.

I think he was merely trying to reconcile the difference between a "steal" and "sloppy left-overs". Young is probably the better overall player, but Gomes is hardly scraps. Just a lot of extremist on the board as of late.

I think he was merely trying to reconcile the difference between a "steal" and "sloppy left-overs". Young is probably the better overall player, but Gomes is hardlyscraps. Just a lot of extremist on the board as of late.

I'm not being an extremist. The O's want to upgrade in LF, and they wanted to add some speed to the team. Well, Chris Young will give you pretty decent defense, hit 20-25 HR, and steal 20 bases. That's a relative bargain at 1/10 or 2/19. The A's were proactive and got Young, while the O's are looking at a DH type in Gomes. To me, Gomes doesn't make this team that much better imo, being a pure one dimensional player.

A DH platoon of Betemit and Gomes would be pretty formidable. I didn't expect it, but Chris Davis could be on the move. Duquette clearly has a lot of feelers out there. One thing we haven't really heard is if there's any interest in pitching.

Just a feeling from the DD interviews but I think he loves Davis-- young and cheap and productive. I'm betting he's staying for at least 2013.

A DH platoon of Betemit and Gomes would be pretty formidable. I didn't expect it, but Chris Davis could be on the move. Duquette clearly has a lot of feelers out there. One thing we haven't really heard is if there's any interest in pitching.

I think it's more Reynolds not coming back and Davis playing first.

I think it's more Reynolds not coming back and Davis playing first.

This sounds more likely.

Betemit's career splits against RHP: .282/.349/.475/.824

Gomes career splits against LHP: .284/.382/.512/.894

Not to mention Gomes has major power, a career ISO of .211. He spent about 60% of his PA against LHP and put up a season OPS+ of 140 in 333 PA, even though his OPS against RHP was .715, BELOW his career mark of .731. No doubt, he could could for a force for us both as a starter and a bench player.

This sounds more likely.

Betemit's career splits against RHP: .282/.349/.475/.824

Gomes career splits against LHP: .284/.382/.512/.894

Not to mention Gomes has major power, a career ISO of .211. He spent about 60% of his PA against LHP and put up a season OPS+ of 140 in 333 PA, even though his OPS against RHP was .715, BELOW his career mark of .731. No doubt, he could could for a force for us both as a starter and a bench player.

If these two guys stay at their split rates, that would make a very formidable DH combo. I think you are right in how this will play out. I could then see us re-signing McLouth and hoping that Reimold will be able to form a Roenicke/Lowenstein combo in LF.

I think Keppinger makes more sense than Gomes. especially if Gomes is looking for a two year deal. I really don't see Keppinger as a second baseman but he could be almost as good as the RH DH and play 3rd/2nd (maybe first base) as a platoon player. Be decent insurance at third if one of Hardy/Machado went down.

I think Keppinger makes more sense than Gomes. especially if Gomes is looking for a two year deal. I really don't see Keppinger as a second baseman but he could be almost as good as the RH DH and play 3rd/2nd (maybe first base) as a platoon player. Be decent insurance at third if one of Hardy/Machado went down.

Yeah I agree. I'm not so much down on Gomes the "bat". It's the limited role he could play on this team that concern's me.

Eduardo A. Encina ‏@EddieInTheYard

#Orioles still have interest in OF/DH Jonny Gomes, but sticking point will be contract length. Gomes seeking multiple-year deal. O's aren't.

Not sure why that would be a shocker to the O's. That was the sticking point with regards to an extension with Oakland.

Archived