Taking into account yesterday's megadeal, what are your current power rankings for the AL East?

ChaosLex

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know what? I'm tired of people assuming that whatever other teams do, it is better than what the Orioles are doing. The Blue Jays haven't been to the playoffs since 1993. They won 73 games last year. I refuse to act as if 2012 never happened. We had a better season than any season Toronto has had in 19 years. So far as I'm concerned, Dan and Buck know what they're doing until proven otherwise.

I agree Frobby, and you know i've been fighting the "give the O's respect" battle. But, even I have been worn down to a point, where I can't help but look and see how the O's got there, and look at 2013 with dount that it's sustainable, without a major upgrade or two. Will beeven worse if that doesnt happen AND we lose Reynolds, McLouth, and Saunders. I just don't see the hope.

You know what? I'm tired of people assuming that whatever other teams do, it is better than what the Orioles are doing. The Blue Jays haven't been to the playoffs since 1993. They won 73 games last year. I refuse to act as if 2012 never happened. We had a better season than any season Toronto has had in 19 years. So far as I'm concerned, Dan and Buck know what they're doing until proven otherwise.

Well, our past stands for itself, does it not? Is Angelos not Angelos? We had a brilliant year and I enjoyed it immensely, but we have holes everywhere but in the pen. Dan may know what he is doing, Buck certainly knows what he is doing, my question does not lie with them, it lies with the man above them and what all he will allow them to explore. I see the men you mentioned fighting with one arm tied behind their back and im happy they are the ones doing it; they pulled it off in 2012.

I simply stated that I would to have woken up to find out that the Os had made this move and given up similar talent. I dont think our owner would allow for it, while Toronto seems to be willing to 'go for it' -- as someone noted above -- they may not even be done.

I agree Frobby, and you know i've been fighting the "give the O's respect" battle. But, even I have been worn down to a point, where I can't help but look and see how the O's got there, and look at 2013 with dount that it's sustainable, without a major upgrade or two. Will beeven worse if that doesnt happen AND we lose Reynolds, McLouth, and Saunders. I just don't see the hope.

Look, I consider myself an optimistic realist. The competition in the AL East will be tougher next year, and we will have to be a better team than this year to remain a playoff contender. But I'm confident that Dan and Buck will find ways to upgrade the team. It may not be your idea of a "major" upgrade, but it will be their idea of an upgrade that keeps us in contention and works for the long-term plan. I'm not going to speculate exactly what they will do, but I'm sure when February rolls around we won't be thinking that the O's took a step backwards this winter by letting guys go and not replacing them with someone as good or better.

A major upgrade could very well result just from a full season of Hammel, Tillman, Gonzalez, Machado, Markakis and Mclouth, plus career average years from Hardy and Reynolds. Add to that the possibility of one of Matusz, Britton, Arrieta, or Bundy stepping up, and Jones, Chen, JJ, ODay and Wieters, not having a major regression, and I like our chances to make the playoffs again.

Look, I consider myself an optimistic realist. The competition in the AL East will be tougher next year, and we will have to be a better team than this year to remain a playoff contender. But I'm confident that Dan and Buck will find ways to upgrade the team. It may not be your idea of a "major" upgrade, but it will be their idea of an upgrade that keeps us in contention and works for the long-term plan. I'm not going to speculate exactly what they will do, but I'm sure when February rolls around we won't be thinking that the O's took a step backwards this winter by letting guys go and not replacing them with someone as good or better.

Frobby, you are one of the most well reasoned posters on the OH and I thoroughly appreciate your contributions, but you do know that there are certain posters who will prove the bolded false unless the FO mimics their prescription for offseason success. Your cautious optimism is healthy with regard to the O's, with regard to the spectrum of opinions implied in "we" .... well, just don't be too surprised when that last part doesn't quite pan out : )

Os/TB

NYY - they absolutely require Pineda to come back healthy and log at least 120 IP to compete

Tor

Bos

Which of these players is likely to have a better season next year than last. None IMO.

Jeter

ARoid

Teix

Pettitte

CC

MO

Hughes

Nova

I think the MFY can count on good years from Granderson, and Cano, and maybe Gardner

They need to add a TOR SP and upgrade RF, their pen, and C.

Jeter? No.

A-Rod? Maybe, he missed 2 months with a hand injury.

Tex? Possible, he was also hurt.

Pettite might retire

CC? Why not? His elbow is concerning but his season wasnt terrible, his ERA was a little high I suppose.

Mo pitched a month? Not unbeatable but just having him is a plus.

Nova was their best pitcher arguably.

They are getting Pineds. Thats quite the upgrade, so if Nova isn't as good it could balance out.

A major upgrade could very well result just from a full season of Hammel, Tillman, Gonzalez, Machado, Markakis and Mclouth, plus career average years from Hardy and Reynolds. Add to that the possibility of one of Matusz, Britton, Arrieta, or Bundy stepping up, and Jones, Chen, JJ, ODay and Wieters, not having a major regression, and I like our chances to make the playoffs again.

This. We have a decent idea of what we have this year and won't be giving away wins for half the season waiting for Arrietta, Matusz or Hunter to figure it out. Let them do that in Norfolk. I thought we were doomed last year with the quiet offseason but look where we wound up. I trust DD to give us a good team, even if i can't see it.

I'm not sure signing guys like a McLouth make a long term significant difference. The biggest problem is the rotation. You have a lot of guys who before 2012 had either done nothing, or have pitched before in the big leagues abnd stunk. Sure guys like Gonzalez and Hammel earn their chance from this year but theres no indication it will be sustainable. While Chen was decent his 2nd half wasnt so great, now the AL has all seen him once, the book is out on him. Doesn't help he lacks that put out pitch, he can get ahead 0-2 quite often. It's possible it could all work out but the thing is the division has sound competition. Teams are going to be beating up on eachother now.

The Blue Jays made a great trade. They're being aggressive and they gave up nothing but cash to get a boatload of proven talent. They will have speed and power in the lineup and if Romero bounces back, they have a deep and talented rotation. They became much better than Baltimore in the snap of 2 fingers. Its hard not to be envious of a team that just made deal such as this one.

Even Bonafacio can play. They did well for themselves.

Which is what it takes to consistently win in MLB.

Everyone is overrating to the Blue Jay's trade...currently as it stands...I think they are at best a 85 win team. I still believe the Rays is the team to beat at this point. Orioles are a close second with the MFY's next, then Blue Jays and Red Sux.

Over/under of 50 games for Reyes before he tweaks his hammy on the artifical turf.

Johnson's arm will keep going the way of Beckett.

At best, I see the Blue Jays as right around or just above the .500 mark.

Division is there for the O's or Rays with a few shrewd offseason moves. Can't wait to see what DD and Freidman pull off.

Everyone is overrating to the Blue Jay's trade...currently as it stands...I think they are at best a 85 win team. I still believe the Rays is the team to beat at this point. Orioles are a close second with the MFY's next, then Blue Jays and Red Sux.

Really the Orioles are about an 85 win team(give or take) they will need to find new ways to win. You can't expect all those extra inning and 1 run wins again.

Archived