Maryland To Big 10?!?!

JohnD

I can understand the frustration as a fan over this move because obviously basketball is more important to the fans. Obviously the reason they would do this is because they'll make a ton of money with the football program. Not only will they make money through TV deals and increased revenue from the huge stadiums, but the Big Ten has great bowl tie-ins, which will lead to even more money. Again, though...losing the rivalries that are important to you as fans can be really upsetting.

This will really tick me off. Great, let's join the Big 10 so we can travel to Nebraska or Michigan or Ohio and get our asses kicked there in football. Instead of bus trips to NC or Virginia, load up the plane and head midwest? It's not worth $20 million let alone $50 million in exit fees to make the move.

Well...I imagine Maryland will be in the same division as Penn State, Ohio State, Rutgers, Indiana, Illinois, and Purdue. So...geographically it won't be that bad, as they'll only have 1 road game a year out of division.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does it change anyone's mind when you remember that starting next year the Terps will only play Pitt twice a season in basketball, and everyone else just once? Or something close to that? The traditional rivalries have been and will continue to be watered down over the last 10 years.

I see this as a definite possibility. Maryland will receive more money than the deal they currently have with the ACC and their bball program will benefit getting away from Duke, UNC, Pitt, Cuse...

I also find it somewhat entertaining to see a lot of Terp fans upset. The ACC ruined college sports when they stole from the BE. What goes around comes around. Also I would love to see it happen because that pretty much paves the way for UConn to be extended the next invite.

I kept telling people Rutgers was Big10 bound and a few others told me nope cause they were ACC first choice for next expansion. Well just as the person in here who knows a big donor I know a few people at ESPN in high places and from day one they told me UConn was ACC first choice along with Cuse but the uproar from BC gathered backing from other ACC schools and they decided to go with Pitt. BC wants to be the only New England team in the ACC and UConn scares the crap out of them if they were to be extended an invite to join the ACC

Bottom line is, it would be pretty cool for football, as the ACC is a lousy football conference, but it would totally stink for basketball. I really don't even care that much about the tradition, rivalries, etc. but Big 10 basketball is horrible to watch. Give me the up-tempo ACC all day every day over that Big 10 style. And since I'm more of a college BB than FB guy, I really prefer this not to happen.

So let me get this straight, there wasn't enough money to save approximately 7 or so sports from getting eliminated yet now they've got 50 million lying around to just up and leave the ACC?

I would imagine the counter argument is that Big 10 football will more than make up that 50 mil.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I hate to say it, but the golden days of college sports is long over. I loved the ACC when it was eight teams and almost all athletes stayed for four years. You really got to know all the players in the conference intimately (especially in basketball). Now, everything is about "what have you done for me lately?" Good players leave after 1-2 years, teams come and go from conferences, and schedules are uneven from one year to the next. If Maryland leaves the ACC I will be disappointed, but frankly, the conference is just reaping what it has sewn.

I think Gary Williams made a lot of good points about it being good for the Terps to move to the Big Ten. The ACC is getting watered down and there will be no more play every team two times and see who's best at the end of the year anymore. He asked who our rivals are in basketball and we would say Duke, but Duke would say North Carolina. We have no real rivalry in football but perhaps we could create one with Penn State. As a college wrestling fan, I'll enjoy watching the Terps on the Big Ten Network and I think our football program will get a lot of more prestige by playing Michigan, Ohio state and Penn State instead of the poor ACC football programs. If the ACC was the old eight team conference I would be against this, but as they keep adding programs, it watered down any kind of rivalry so now, why not? I think this has a chance to make Maryland a better football school and at the same time keep them a great basketball school.

It's a done deal. Unanimous vote by the board.

I have to assume that Maryland has either received some assurances that the Big 10 will substantially help with that $50 million exit fee, or they are pretty sure they can reach a settlement with the ACC.

I think Gary Williams made a lot of good points about it being good for the Terps to move to the Big Ten. The ACC is getting watered down and there will be no more play every team two times and see who's best at the end of the year anymore. He asked who our rivals are in basketball and we would say Duke, but Duke would say North Carolina. We have no real rivalry in football but perhaps we could create one with Penn State. As a college wrestling fan, I'll enjoy watching the Terps on the Big Ten Network and I think our football program will get a lot of more prestige by playing Michigan, Ohio state and Penn State instead of the poor ACC football programs. If the ACC was the old eight team conference I would be against this, but as they keep adding programs, it watered down any kind of rivalry so now, why not? I think this has a chance to make Maryland a better football school and at the same time keep them a great basketball school.
I guess Gary doesn't remember that we haven't beaten Penn State in football since 1961.

As to watered down rivals, we would say our biggest rivals are the Yankees, but the Yankees would say the Red Sox. Does anyone who supports this move also think the Orioles should switch divisions to the N.L. East? MD was in the ACC a year before the Orioles began playing in Baltimore. Oh, but Soprano we only play Duke once a year now. Guess what, the American League didn't always have 14 teams. There was a time when we played the Yankees 22 times a season, not 18.

Well said. Agree 100%.

The ACC is getting watered down and there will be no more play every team two times and see who's best at the end of the year anymore.

This hasn't been the case since the first expansion, whenever that was. As soon as VT and Miami were added the home-and-home schedule was gone.

But I agree with your larger point.

Archived