Maryland To Big 10?!?!

JohnD

I think this has a chance to make Maryland a better football school and at the same time keep them a great basketball school.

At least in the short term, I think Maryland is going to get crushed playing football in the Big 10. (By the way, the name "Big 10" has got to go. How many schools have they got now?)

As one of the few Dukies on this board, I will miss playing the Terps in basketball. Maryland always got up for the games and that made it fun.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At least in the short term, I think Maryland is going to get crushed playing football in the Big 10. (By the way, the name "Big 10" has got to go. How many schools have they got now?)

I don't know that it makes them better, ever, in football. There are plenty of mediocre to poor football teams in the Big 10 (Indiana, Minnesota, Northwestern, Illinois), they haven't been elevated to a higher level by playing in the Big 10. If anything, they get bogged down even more by having to play good teams a lot. The only thing that will change MD's status in football is a really good coach and a high level of committment (i.e. dollars) to the program.

The people that are upset with this clearly don't understand what's going down. The money both academically and athletically that MD will receive from this move is huge. The ACC is about to become the Big East. Florida St. and Clemson are the next to go. It's quite possible that UNC and UVA join the Big 10 down the road too. Maryland had no choice, but to go. They would have been foolish to stay. MD was able to move to a major power broker conference and set up some security during this tumultuous time in college athletics. If they stayed in the ACC they very well may have ended up holding the bag.

Plus from and operations standpoint the Big 10 is the major leagues while the ACC is the low minors.

Maryland hasn't been able to get beyond mid-level status in the ACC football since the early time of Friedgen's tenure, therefore, I struggle to believe it will happen in the Big 10 for several seasons, if it happens at all. Added revenue or no added revenue, I struggle to see this program rising to the level of the Michigan's, Ohio State's, Wisconsin's, and in a few seasons Penn State's of the world. They're joining a better conference that will be better from a financial standpoint in the long run, but in terms of competition, performance, and results, they just set themselves back a long ways.

As one of the few Dukies on this board, I will miss playing the Terps in basketball. Maryland always got up for the games and that made it fun.

I'll miss playing Duke and North Carolina, no doubt, but at the end of the day, Maryland has a chane to become a true power house in the Big Ten in basketball. Meanwhile, football recruits may be more excited about playing in Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State and that in turn could get us more of a midwest reach when recruiting. I agree at first we will have our butts handed to us,but in the long run, I could see the football program becoming much better and our basketball team becoming a perennial top 25 team.

Maryland hasn't been able to get beyond mid-level status in the ACC football since the early time of Friedgen's tenure, therefore, I struggle to believe it will happen in the Big 10 for several seasons, if it happens at all. Added revenue or no added revenue, I struggle to see this program rising to the level of the Michigan's, Ohio State's, Wisconsin's, and in a few seasons Penn State's of the world. They're joining a better conference that will be better from a financial standpoint in the long run, but in terms of competition, performance, and results, they just set themselves back a long ways.

I think you are not taking into consideration that with the increased money comes increased facilities and that should help with recruiting. Plus, I think you can now sell Maryland to some Midwest boys that might have dreamed of playing for or against those big football powerhouses. The ACC had gotten stale in my opinion, especially in football. Even in basketball, once they got rid of the home and home series the rivalries were diminishing. I'll miss playing Duke and North Carolina, but that's about all really.

It's a done deal. Unanimous vote by the board.

Good call, Brendan. O http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8651934/maryland-terrapins-rutgers-scarlet-knights-join-big-ten-sources-say

Rutgers expected to follow soon ??? HA HA. Now, the Big Ten is looking like college basketball's Atlantic 10 (a conference named "10" with 13 or 14 teams. The A-10 currently has 16 teams.)

Maybe they can add another 6 teams, and they can become "The Big 10 Times 2." :D

O

So it's done.

Personally, I don't think it makes a damn bit of difference about how good or bad our basketball or (especially) football programs are going to be. The coaching and recruiting determines that. And no, I don't think conference makes much difference in recruiting. Location, coaching, and program tradition/support are far more important.

As a UMd alum and fan of the athletic teams since the mid-80's, it really doesn't sadden me to see us move out of the ACC. It's true we never established a long-term rival, despite short-lived ones with Duke and NC State (70's) in basketball. In the B1G, there will be an opportunity to establish one with Penn State, if we can avoid 70-7 ass kickings. I'll miss the Duke and UNC games in basketball, but look forward to playing Indiana, Ohio State, and f***ing Michigan State in basketball. The "don't cares" (Wake, Miami, Virginia) have suitable replacements (Purdue, Minnesota, Iowa...). And our football team will routinely get its head kicked in by the Buckeyes, Wolverines, and Huskers - just like it does now by the 'Noles, Tigers, and Hokies.

So, bring on the B1G. It really makes little difference.

Honestly, the fact that Maryland will go from getting a $16 million payout from the ACC to a $24-30 million payout from the Big 10 annually, for a program cutting sports because it's in financial hell, is reason enough to be supportive of the move.

It'll be just as easy to hate Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan, and Wisconsin as it has to hate Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, and Florida State.

I guess Gary doesn't remember that we haven't beaten Penn State in football since 1961.

As to watered down rivals, we would say our biggest rivals are the Yankees, but the Yankees would say the Red Sox. Does anyone who supports this move also think the Orioles should switch divisions to the N.L. East? MD was in the ACC a year before the Orioles began playing in Baltimore. Oh, but Soprano we only play Duke once a year now. Guess what, the American League didn't always have 14 teams. There was a time when we played the Yankees 22 times a season, not 18.

I don't know if you know this or not, but with the addition of Syracuse and Pitt and the new division, the Terps were only going to play Duke at home once every 2-3 years anyway. The tradition of ACC basketball was leaving with these conference expansions, regardless of whether Maryland stayed or left. I will miss the Duke and UNC games also. Tremendously.

If Virginia and/or UNC go to the B1G also, it will really make me like this move more.

ACC fans should be concerned/uneasy that the BIG 10 might also go after Gtech and UVA. Those seem like the next 2 targets to get the BIG 10 to 16 teams.

SEC probably goes after FSU and Clemson.

BIG 12 probably takes Cinci and Louisville before further expanding after seeing the dominoes fall.

ACC takes UConn to replace Maryland but if they lose 2 or even 4 more teams where do they go? I guess USF would get an invite but then they would have to go to conference USA and newly added BE teams to fill the holes. ACC will become BE 2.0 and its all a product of their initial expansion. They thought they were pioneers and getting ahead of hte curve when in actuality they have become the feast.

Good call, Brendan. O http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8651934/maryland-terrapins-rutgers-scarlet-knights-join-big-ten-sources-say

Rutgers expected to follow soon ??? HA HA. Now, the Big Ten is looking like college basketball's Atlantic 10 (a conference named "10" with 13 or 14 teams. The A-10 currently has 16 teams.)

Maybe they can add another 6 teams, and they can become "The Big 10 Times 2." :D

O

There are rumors of any combination of Virginia, UNC, or Georgia Tech following us to the B1G.

I was always more of a Gary Williams/Ralph Friedgen fan than I was a Maryland fan so I'm not passionately against this move nor for it. But, I am very skeptical of this working out the way UMD and the Big 10 hope it will. Maryland is just not going to be an elite football school. It might have some good years, but it's not ever going to rise to the Alabama or LSU level.

Archived