Maryland To Big 10?!?!

JohnD

The ACC wasn't the ACC anymore.

This is really what it comes down to for me. I did not like the move when I first heard about it. But after reading all of the analysis over the past few days I'm on board, mostly because of this reasoning. I also hated the expansion from the start, not that I have anything against those schools, but because it killed the home-and-home scheduling that made ACC basketball so great. The ACC that I knew and loved growing up died years ago.

Now I will say that I am not an alumnus of MD (probably the single biggest regret of my young life so far was to go to a more local college), and so certainly I don't have that viewpoint that TonyS and others may have, though I do feel that I'm just as passionate about MD sports. And frankly I do feel that the move was rushed, and that a more long-term view should have been explored. But I am ready to move on now. In all honesty, I wish we could bump up the start date by a year and get to cracking on these Big 10 teams.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is really what it comes down to for me. I did not like the move when I first heard about it. But after reading all of the analysis over the past few days I'm on board, mostly because of this reasoning. I also hated the expansion from the start, not that I have anything against those schools, but because it killed the home-and-home scheduling that made ACC basketball so great. The ACC that I knew and loved growing up died years ago.

Now I will say that I am not an alumnus of MD (probably the single biggest regret of my young life so far was to go to a more local college), and so certainly I don't have that viewpoint that TonyS and others may have, though I do feel that I'm just as passionate about MD sports. And frankly I do feel that the move was rushed, and that a more long-term view should have been explored. But I am ready to move on now. In all honesty, I wish we could bump up the start date by a year and get to cracking on these Big 10 teams.

I hate losing the tradition. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it.

However, when news came out a month or two ago that the only home-and-home games that Maryland would have was Virginia and Pitt in basketball, the ACC had already died for me.

The ACC wasn't the ACC anymore. I didn't like adding Big East schools from the start. They don't play "ACC schools" often enough for my liking. And, who knows what other shoes could fall that could really cripple the ACC. For instance, I could see UNC, Clemson, FSU all heading to the SEC. And who knows what Miami will do. I think MD got out before the ACC started really falling apart. College football drives the bus, and the ACC is driven by college basketball for now. I think it wil lend up a conference of basketball schools without much football to speak of - and MD is trying to avoid becoming one of those schools.

Here in lies my main point and why I'm ok with this move. The ACC that TonyS loved, that we all loved is gone. College sports is changing and the ACC has a chance to become a Big East type of conference. Maryland, despite its stored basketball program, is not a prime University for sports so if someone is willing to give them more money, then why not see if that money can make your current programs better?

I truly understand why some of the alumni, especially those in TonyS' age group are upset over this because they remember when the ACC was truly about rivalries and when it was special to root for the school's teams. We're now in a different generation and college sports have become quasi-pro sports. The major programs have to have support of the general public, from people like me, who never went to the University but who spend their money on tickets, concessions, and merchandise.

This is why I think if Maryland wants to compete they'll need to have a stadium built or at the very least play major games at FedEx or M&T Bank stadiums on order to bring in the larger crowds. This might make sense for games against Ohio State and Michigan. I took my sons to the Maryland-Navy game at M&t Bank Stadium and it was packed and loud.

It's easy for some former players to say they would have never come if the Terps weren't in the ACC, but that's truly hogwash and speaks of sour grapes. Are you telling me that a player who wanted to go to Maryland would suddenly not go there because now they would get the opportunity to play at such storied venues as Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State? I guess I just don't but that at all.

Again, I'm not downplaying anyone's concerns or even the hard feelings that some alumni may feel at first, but if the football program starts to do well again the basketball team remains a top 25 team, few people will be upset ten years from now.

If you still don;t know the answer after everything everyone has posted than you just are thinking too much with your heart and not your brain my friend. I understand the disappointment for some of the alumni, but honestly, outside of the Duke and NC basketball games, is there some other rivalry with another ACC team that you are going to really miss?

Are you a lacrosse guy? I can see the lacrosse folks being upset since the ACC is the best conference for lacrosse, but as a wrestling fan, I'm pumped that Maryland will now be on the BTN and I'll be able to watch some of the local wrestlers wrestle on TV in the future. I understand this is an emotional event and I certainly don't want to downplay your thoughts or points, but at the end of the day, I truly think playing in the Big Ten will help the football team recruit better players and that means better Maryland teams in the future. Add in the windfall of extra money and that means more opportunities for student athletes in more sports and that's a good thing.

Tony, your position on this issue really surprises me. Over the years, you've always made a big point about loyalty being important to you. For example, you've villified Mike Mussina for going to the Yankees, and you recently criticized Mel Antonen for voting against Buck Showalter for manager of the year on "loyalty" grounds. And I was on the other side of both those issues.

So my question is, why is the University of Maryland's decision different for you? Personally, I'm disappointed as an ACC fan, but not outraged about it; but I would have thought this would be just the type of move that would have really pissed you off, because it is so disloyal to a conference that Maryland has been a part of for 59 years, has great tradition, etc.

Tony, your position on this issue really surprises me. Over the years, you've always made a big point about loyalty being important to you. For example, you've villified Mike Mussina for going to the Yankees, and you recently criticized Mel Antonen for voting against Buck Showalter for manager of the year on "loyalty" grounds. And I was on the other side of both those issues.

So my question is, why is the University of Maryland's decision different for you? Personally, I'm disappointed as an ACC fan, but not outraged about it; but I would have thought this would be just the type of move that would have really pissed you off, because it is so disloyal to a conference that Maryland has been a part of for 59 years, has great tradition, etc.

Maybe disloyal to the conference in a way, but Maryland got it right in being loyal to the student athletes. The reason I am okay with this decision, and I know your question was directed at Tony, is that Maryland has been in the red and staying in the ACC projected in the red for another decade with the revenue sharing of Pitt and Syracuse into the conference. Maryland would have had to cut more athletic teams. Of course I understand that Football and Basketball are the "money makers", but I still believe in the other sports as a way for student athletes to compete and earn a good education. Moving to the Big Ten will allow Maryland to maintain their sports and hopefully add some of the 7 that they cut this past year. I think we lost a good lacrosse conference but we can still schedule games against ACC teams and will be dominant in the Big Ten and I think that we will be a bottom dweller in football, but every other sport Maryland is involved with I think will benefit more from this move. And I agree that being in a stronger football conference will help us in recruiting, especially in bringing in top talent from the surrounding area(North Carolina and Virginia) and stealing those potential recruits from ACC teams.

This is why I think if Maryland wants to compete they'll need to have a stadium built or at the very least play major games at FedEx or M&T Bank stadiums on order to bring in the larger crowds. This might make sense for games against Ohio State and Michigan. I took my sons to the Maryland-Navy game at M&t Bank Stadium and it was packed and loud.
Build a new stadium for MD- William & Mary? MD-Temple? MD-Rutgers in 2014? I don't think so. Note that when MD built a new basketball arena, it was on campus.

Where is the money coming from to build that football stadium, and how many athletic programs could have used that money instead? We'll have to agree to respectfully disagree that the traffic getting in and out of Fed Ex is better than Byrd Stadium. Unlike Fed Ex, there is more than one way in and out of the MD campus. Fed Ex can be a royal PITA.

It's easy for some former players to say they would have never come if the Terps weren't in the ACC, but that's truly hogwash and speaks of sour grapes. Are you telling me that a player who wanted to go to Maryland would suddenly not go there because now they would get the opportunity to play at such storied venues as Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State? I guess I just don't but that at all.
I don't get the sour grapes remark at all. Be that as it may, you can argue that the Big 10 will draw more recruits but frankly that's subjective as well, based on assumptions not facts. My opinion, based on athletes who actually played for Maryland, is the Big 10 is not a slam dunk better draw. There are pluses and minuses to both sides. The ACC is also a big draw to recruits, particularly in basketball, and yes, in sports other than football. Ultimately, we won't know until 2014 and beyond.
Greivis Vasquez

@greivisvasquez

ACC basketball is the best level!!

Again, those of us who support this move mostly support it because it is supposed to bring back sports that got cut (over time) and be able to financially support other sports much better. If I'm wrong, and that doesn't happen, then I'll be wrong.

When they asked Kevin Anderson if the Big 10 money will allow MD to bring back some programs, he fumbled and mumbled about how they'd have to look at the same financials that led the programs to be cut, and didn't make any guarantees.

The announcement that Maryland might reinstate some of its dropped sports surprised most everybody — including athletes who say they still feel betrayed by the cuts and even the man who will co-chair a panel to study the issue.

Barry Gossett attended a wedding over the weekend and was still in Florida when he heard — via streaming video — when Maryland president Wallace D. Loh said Monday that the school's entry into the Big Ten may provide enough cash to restore some of the seven sports discontinued June 30.

"I thought, 'That's news to me,' " said Gossett, a regent and top donor who is expected to co-chair the commission that will study Maryland's finances and recommend whether some of the teams may be able to return.

"I'm more than happy to do it," Gossett said Tuesday.

Gossett said it's too soon to speculate how many sports may be reinstated, or which ones, and he likened such difficult decisions to a "tug of war."

source - Baltimore Sun, Nov. 20
The teams cut were men's tennis, men's track and field (indoor and cross country), men's swimming and diving, women's swimming and diving, women's water polo and women's acrobatics and tumbling.
Come on, how much money does it take to run those programs a year? I'd bet combined they are a drop in the bucket compared to the total athletic department budget. I wonder how their combined budget compares to the $2 million we had to pay Friedgen in 2011 after he was fired. Even with this big windfall from the Big 10, we actually have to study whether or not to bring back those programs? How many times do I have to call B.S.? This deal isn't about saving those programs. Pull back the flippin' curtain, Dorothy, and see what's really going on. Maryland totally screwed up and it's much worse than they are willing to admit. They need to clean house, and get someone who actually has a clue, but I guess that's too much to ask.

Finally, is there no one out there who would feel the same way if we were talking about moving the Orioles to a different division?

I think the main reason is that with all the changes within the ACC and the fact that they were taking away home and away games with Duke and North Carolina in basketball showed no loyalty on the ACC's side. The other thing is that Maryland needs the extra money as they've been operating in the red and there didn't seem to be any reason to believe staying in the ACC was going to help that.

Build a new stadium for MD- William & Mary? MD-Temple? MD-Rutgers in 2014? I don't think so. Note that when MD built a new basketball arena, it was on campus.

Where is the money coming from to build that football stadium, and how many athletic programs could have used that money instead? We'll have to agree to respectfully disagree that the traffic getting in and out of Fed Ex is better than Byrd Stadium. Unlike Fed Ex, there is more than one way in and out of the MD campus. Fed Ex can be a royal PITA.

You are probably right with the stadium since Maryland doesn't draw enough consistently to warrant that new stadium, but getting to and from Byrd is a big reason why a lot of people stay away. Rt one is a disaster and you have to park a good ways away if you don't know someone who has a parking pass. I'll take your word for Fe Ex Field since I've never been there, but getting in and out of M&T Bank is pretty good.

Finally, is there no one out there who would feel the same way if we were talking about moving the Orioles to a different division?

Well, if they would add the DH to both leagues, I'd be fine with a Division of Baltimore, Philadelphia, Washington, Atlanta, Tampa.

That's not even an apples and oranges comparison. That's like apples and tacos.
Gee, I'm so glad you took the time to think about the question before tossing out some cliched remark. Still think I'm wrong? Well, here are the arguments thrown out on the other side, only the names have changed.

The Orioles will never be able to compete financially in the division they are in. Because the Orioles have financial constraints, they couldn't afford to keep some players, so they cut them.

MLB is a much bigger business. The Orioles will be able to compete for the playoffs more often in the National League which means more money. We need the money.

We have to do this now before some other team, such as Tampa Bay, takes our place in the league swap.

For years we have been told that it's hard to recruit players because of the division we are in, facing the Yankees and Red Sox. I assume this move will allow us to recruit those ballplayers that we couldn't get before.

The American League we knew twenty, thirty years ago is gone. The rivalries aren't the same as they were. The Orioles have been in their league for one less year than MD has been in the ACC, but who would you really miss in the move? The Red Sox? The Yankees? Besides, if you ask the Yankees who their rival is, they'll say the Red Sox, not us. Who is our real rival in the American League anyway?

Gee, I'm so glad you took the time to think about the question before tossing out some cliched remark. Still think I'm wrong? Well, here are the arguments thrown out on the other side, only the names have changed.

I thought it was rather clever myself.

Regarding the decision to stay in the ACC or move to the Big 10, I don't really think you're wrong, or right. I don't think there's a wrong or right answer here. But I do think the comparison to MLB is very very poor.

I'm not sure what my opinion is on this but I'm pretty sure of two things:

1) Giving Maryland a financial bailout so to speak is like lending money to someone with poor credit history. Maybe some of MD's financial mismanagement can be tied to Yow's administration, I don't know. If that mismanagement is going to continue (an who's to say its not) than it's not going to matter how much additional revenue they get from moving to the Big Ten.

2) I think the ACC has made some missteps that could probably force other schools to do the same. They've got no real TV deal, decreasing future revenue for member schools and they've become a one sport conference. If you're an FSU, you've got to consider greener pastures.

1) Giving Maryland a financial bailout so to speak is like lending money to someone with poor credit history. Maybe some of MD's financial mismanagement can be tied to Yow's administration, I don't know. If that mismanagement is going to continue (an who's to say its not) than it's not going to matter how much additional revenue they get from moving to the Big Ten.

I've made the same point and people don't get my anger about it. The counterargument is since that's the case we have no choice. We need to make this move now.

I guess I'm the only one really angry that we're even in this position. This decision was rushed, alternatives weren't fully addressed. For some unknown reason, firing those that got us into this mess was never an option. Suck it up you longtime Terps fans, this is the only way to get us out of the bed that we crapped in, trust us. Leaving the same people in charge, and expecting a different result - isn't that the definition of "insanity?"

Somehow, Duke and UNC are going to survive in the ACC even in the age of superconferences. Could it be they have people that actually know what the "f" they are doing?

Well, what's done is done. I'm sure Comcast Center will be quite raucous for those MD - Rutgers games. Byrd Stadium may need to expand once again to contain all the excitement. Marty O'Malley may need to divert some transportation funds to building better access to the campus.

Speaking of Rutgers, here's an amusing anecdote from back in the day. At Maryland, we had a lot of obnoxious people from NJ, who you could spot a mile away by the way they dressed and the way they tawked. I asked them, so why did you come to MD instead of Rutgers (since there is no Univ of NJ) ? Their answer was, "we wanted to see the south?" Really? Go to Mississippi or Alabama or even Virginia to really see "the south." God willing, I'll survive yet another back and forth to the Garden State this weekend.

I've made the same point and people don't get my anger about it. The counterargument is since that's the case we have no choice. We need to make this move now.

I guess I'm the only one really angry that we're even in this position. This decision was rushed, alternatives weren't fully addressed. For some unknown reason, firing those that got us into this mess was never an option. Suck it up you longtime Terps fans, this is the only way to get us out of the bed that we crapped in, trust us. Leaving the same people in charge, and expecting a different result - isn't that the definition of "insanity?"

There will be differing opinions on this because no one really, truly knows what goes on behind closed doors.

But I've read several very detailed, in-depth articles that put the blame almost 100% on Debbie Yow. That's probably not entirely fair considering that she is gone and could just be a convenient scapegoat. But I absolutely do believe that she more than any other 1 person is most responsible for the situation MD is in now.

Dr. Loh as you know is new as well. So the President is new. The AD is new. Most of those who are responsible for the mess are already gone. There's no since in looking for people to fire.

Archived