WOW BlueJays not playing sign Melky Cabrera

Greg

Rogers has owned the Blue Jays since 2005, if they had all this money since then why haven't they been spending it??

My point was that to start quoting Rogers revenue (or how they own an entire network, country or small island), that has about 10 other business entities all ran separately under the same umbrella, is misleading as to what is available for the baseball team. The baseball portion is probably peanuts compared to revenue generated outside of that from all their other interests.

Prior to MLB restructuring the definitions governing which teams qualify for financial aid in the new CBA, the Blue Jays were receiving close to $30 million annually from the league. Because size of market is now a determining factor, they won't be getting that aid. The team revenue and the company revenue were recorded separately, so while the company as a whole was doing extremely well the team was just getting by. Now that they will be forced to pay more out of pocket to run the club it looks like they're showing how much they are actually capable of spending. They also own part of the Toronto Raptors and Toronto Maple Leafs and with the NHL in a lockout, they stand to lose a lot of revenue (particularly ad revenue on their hockey broadcasts) so they maybe trying to make the Jays relevant again in Canada to try and regain some of that revenue back.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What current Oriole player had a power surge like the two Jays in question? Only one I can think of is Roberts and well.....

McLouth in '08? I have heard plenty of rumblings about that season on this board.

I'm sure Chris Davis is naturally the size of Lou Ferrigno. And McLouth and Lew Ford were both left for dead before returning to play at a fairly high level, along with a number of pitchers. Remember, most folks caught with PEDs weren't body builders and 50-homer hitters, but journeymen looking for an edge to get to or stay in the majors. I'd bet a plurality of players caught under the current testing regime were random just-better-than-replacement pitchers, and what kind of pitcher was the backbone of the 2012 Orioles?

This is all tongue-in-cheek, but if we're going to wildly speculate let's be fair.

I'm sure Chris Davis is naturally the size of Lou Ferrigno. And McLouth and Lew Ford were both left for dead before returning to play at a fairly high level, along with a number of pitchers. Remember, most folks caught with PEDs weren't body builders and 50-homer hitters, but journeymen looking for an edge to get to or stay in the majors. I'd bet a plurality of players caught under the current testing regime were random just-better-than-replacement pitchers, and what kind of pitcher was the backbone of the 2012 Orioles?

This is all tongue-in-cheek, but if we're going to wildly speculate let's be fair.

I'll play along.

Miguel Gonzalez? Yeah, right. Was a nobody in the minor leagues. Got surgery on his arm and went down into Mexico for a while. He was a nowhere man in nowhere land. Fast forward a few months and he's making the Yankees look like little leaguers in the ALDS, and putting up All Star caliber numbers in the thick of an MLB pennant race? That's a suspicious story if I've ever heard one.

I was specifically talking about spikes in home run production.

On the overall issue of PED's I have made it abundantly clear, including in this thread, that I think use is still widespread.

Has he predicted anything correctly so far?

Absolutely. He came out a couple of months ago and said that Arsenal was going to acquire some player (not a soccer fan). 1-2 weeks later it happened. My buddy that loves Arsenal was very pleased. He calls a lot of stuff right. Clearly has some inside contacts with agents or something. The problem is that deals fall through and offers change, so nobody can always be right. That's why ESPN has to confirm their reports before they go on air. They know what Bob knows, but aren't allowed to report them as soon beause it's premature.

Maybe the Jays see him as a viable candidate for the "Bautista School of Home Run Hitting" strengthening program?

C'mon, there was an article in Sports Weekly that Bautista learned how to extend his arms properly.:rolleyes: Supposedly,this is the reason for his power surge the last few years.

They have new synthetic testosterones that are appearing on the market that can't be detected unless you get tested within 24-48 hours of taking it. It is gone a day or two later, extremely fast acting and almost impossible to get caught unless you get reaallly unlucky and/or you are stupid.

That is what everyone is using right now already. They can use it after the game and be safe by the next day(not always)

, but evidently Melky was one of the unlucky ones. Braun was pretty close to getting busted. I think this PED thing is one big joke.

What current Oriole player had a power surge like the two Jays in question? Only one I can think of is Roberts and well.....

McLouth in '08? I have heard plenty of rumblings about that season on this board.

I havent followed Lew Ford, but what did he look like back in 07 when he was last in the bigs? I hate speculating about the O's players, but I am on the thinking that it is widespread still.

I wonder what Melky the Jays will get. Will it be the one the Yankees and Braves knew to be a subpar player on his way out of baseball or the juiced up one that played in Kansas City and San Fran?

He wasn't 'juiced up' in Kansas. Regardless, a player can't be good with steroids alone.

I'll play along.

Miguel Gonzalez? Yeah, right. Was a nobody in the minor leagues. Got surgery on his arm and went down into Mexico for a while. He was a nowhere man in nowhere land. Fast forward a few months and he's making the Yankees look like little leaguers in the ALDS, and putting up All Star caliber numbers in the thick of an MLB pennant race? That's a suspicious story if I've ever heard one.

Gonzo was a Rule 5 pick by the Red Sox out of the Angels organization. He wasn't a nobody.

He wasn't 'juiced up' in Kansas. Regardless, a player can't be good with steroids alone.

"He wasn't juiced up in Kansas." What would make a person say that. All the cheaters want you to think the only time they compromised their morals was that one little time. Oh, and when they bought that fake website to fool the MLB that it was just a supplement.

Archived